Sony PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Harsh criticism, but you gave specificity with your points; thank you I was unaware. As initially reported in this thread; I've no acoustic complaints to report with my CUH-7000. Like you while streaming, gaming or even using super-sampling the console runs hot at worse yet doesn't produce any audible "whine" or aggressive fan noise. Under cases of prolonged use or resource-intensive gameplay, a low to moderate whoosh/blowing sound can be heard emitting from my fans. It's not loud; it's still "quiet", you'd have to get face-close to the console to "hear" it louder.

I thought "This debacle must be getting blown out of proportion; I turned out to be wrong" Far as Digital Foundry/Richard Leadbetter goes, I wasn't sure on the consensus here as I saw some earlier comments in the thread but didn't realize the backstory; thus I linked an article from The Verge in my post as well as to hopefully have some differing perspectives. Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2019
    Loobyluggs likes this.
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I fixed my PS4 Pro GOW limited edition terrible fan noise issue completly, i stuck it onto a 1080p TV....sorted. lol

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Details:

Their 'review' was called "PS4 Pro vs PS4 SSD Loading Times: Does SATA 3 Make A Difference?" and let's do a review of the title alone...doesn't that wording suggest from the outset a negative connotation? It implies that (1) that it needs to and (2) that the PS4 has an issue with loading times, and in general terms is leaning towards being hopeful, yet, doubtful?

The SSD they used amounted to just one single, solitary SSD drive...the OCZ Trion 100. Now, here is the thing, the date the video went out by Digital Foundry was November 16th, 2016 - the SSD was released (the first review I could find) in July 2015. It also means they didn't even use an up-to-date SSD, AND, they could have used a Trion 150, as that had been released before the video was put up. Which means they bought the SSD and 18 months later (after they removed all of the Hentai off of it) they thought they'd pass it off as some kind of futuristic, magical, super-expensive slab of silicon...

But, there is another point:

IF you are going to review SSD performance on a machine, why not use ALL of the SSD's on the market??? Even if you picked 3, just to cover the Low-Mid-High price ranges, you would at least be using SSD's with a variety of Cache and memory types, configurations, firmwares...c'mon gurus, this is basic stuff you do when reviewing SSD's, but no...they decided to use the cheapest one they could find, and, ignore the target audience for SSD: people who want the best, hence why they bought the 'Pr0' in the first place!

And, they used a Pro model, and have not gone back to re-review this topic, with the new chipsets, new firmware, boost-mode, SS switched on, new games with large memory (RDR2) because according to digital foundry, the PS4 Pro consumer is one person, living in the middle of nowhere with no money.

I'm totally ranting here on this, but these jokers have no business telling anyone their business when they cannot even run proper reviews.

I think I've just been spoilt by Hilbert's charts and graphs over the years :)

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/ocz-trion-100-240-and-480-gb-ssd-review,1.html

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hilbert spoiled us all

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if current stuff floating around the internet is to believed, PS5 will gave 13+ Tflop gpu that is almost double the tflops of 1070ti that I have.

-Tj- likes this.
  6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Not seen that. Like others here, I am cheifly interested in the two features missing from PS4: UHD Playback and Backwards compatibility.

The latter rather than the former, as I already have a UHD player under the teevee, so not really worried about that for personal usage, more that I understand in impact it would have on sales of the hardware, and, that having a drive is better than the proposed 'driveless' and 'streaming' future that certain moguls want to move into for no good reason beyond them having the control.

The latter is waaaaay way way waaaaay more important than the former, and, help me out here gurus, what do you think the impact will be for developers on this point on the current hardware? I've not really heard much from the chaps and chapesses at Epic Games in the developer circles, but currently, it is really relatively painless to publish a game by simply selecting the correct build variant inside of the Engine. Not that there are many engines that do not allow for this, but this is the only one I really have involvement with.

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    As powerful as PC gaming "is", it's not used to it's full potential and it's chained to 3rd party support. The prices of GPU's have almost doubled in the last few years and I'm just not as interested in playing a console port in higher resolution for all that money. PS5/Xbox Scarlett will be my first gen of console-exclusive gaming since the snes days. I honestly don't care what the hardware has inside it. I hope it's good to push graphics, but I know whatever it is, PC will be tied down to it. Add in game streaming and game pass and all these other things, PC just doesn't make sense to me anymore. Damn shame. I have a decent rig still and ...well...I'm sitting here waiting for more ports (rdr2, cyberpunk). Rant over.

8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I think Epic is quiet because UE4 seemed way too powerful for it's time. They had to scale it back significantly to get it running on current consoles. I don't think they need to do anything next year for new systems but unleash the original power of their engine. As far as scaling, I'm sure developers would love to put the same game out on as many systems as possible, but I don't think Sony or Microsoft will be as open to that, as they want to sell more systems.

I don't know. With these mid-cycle refreshes and game streaming, game pass, it's an odd and exciting time for a gamer and harder to predict what will be.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Interesting. Something to bookmark as a great indicator as to what might be coming up for console gaming if using the Unreal Engine:

https://trello.com/b/TTAVI7Ny/ue4-roadmap

As you will note and see, the big updates for 4.24 are "Screen Space Global Illumination", "Virtual Texturing" and "GTAO SSAO on Consoles and Windows".

What the future kinda means on consoles is that games develped on/in UE4 (and other engines) will simply need to update the project file, run a QA/sanity check via the testing department, and voila! New and improved features, pushing the new consoles to current limits.

SSGI has taken nearly ten years from the original alpha-build of Unreal Engine 4 which had SVOGI, but was apparently too hardcore for realtime and they had to re-think it. I was never convinced that was the real reason, but that is the official viewpoint.

Serotonin likes this.
  10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Here are some Rumors about a possible PS5 release date and Price. It is set for December 4th 2020 and has a price of $550 bucks. Take this with a grain of salt because anything can happen.
    According to Tweaktown the reason for a Early December launch instead of a mid November launch is so Sony has enough AMD APUs to make a lot of PS5s instead of suffering a shortage which makes sense if true because it would suck if they had a PS5 shortage. If true I can see the price of the PS5 being $550 because of all the tech inside of it.

https://bgr.com/2019/10/22/playstation-5-price-vs-ps4-retailer-leaks-ps5-price-and-release-date/

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68112/exclusive-playstation-5-launching-december-2020/index.html

11. Sounds interesting.

My thoughts:

Common consumer won't welcome $550 as trade-off for tech behind it; note: PS3's launch pushed pricing envelope & already stressed 'tech argument' as trade-off/cost. People are accustomed to PS4's MSRP.

Sony Interactive Entertainment can subsidize the launch cost through alternate company source of revenue; parent Sony Corporation of America/Sony Corporation for example.

These things above may have been decided on; finalized & set in motion by a team of people already - months ago...

Fender178 likes this.
  12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Oh Yeah I understand that completely having to wait to get a PS3 until the Slim to come out and I got my PS3 in January of 2010 which is close to 4 years into the Console life cycle. PS4 I got just before Christmas in 2014 over a year into the console's life and it is the 1st generation of PlayStation console that I purchased myself without waiting to get the for the slim cost reduced version. Which is a huge difference in time. At the end of the day who knows what Sony is thinking as in terms of price or launch date. There is over a year to wait and a lot can change in that time period.

13. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    This..

Once I got used to the PS4 controller I was sticked with console gaming. way cheaper and less hassle than PC gaming.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I totally agree. Once I get a PS5 it will be the most powerful gaming machine that I own which will be a first for me in my 30+ years of gaming on both consoles and PCs.

15. Yes; I feel that way too. My PS4/opposed to my PC. I try - Humblebundle, GOG, Greenmangaming, Indie Gala, Daily Indie... it comes down to the time, the sheer time that PC costs my day. They get faster - ha yet somehow more demanding. Tweaking, patching etc. Console is insert install update and play. *ahh*

Mmm Yes - I am excited for this I must agree, and I meant to come off in the sense that I do agree with your earlier statements. I think those rumors sound reasonable at $550. Me, myself personally as an individual - considering everything that's going on ... inside the console to the haptics in the gamepad etc it's nuts...that'd be a steal. Perhaps tech explanation works.. *shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2019
    Fender178 likes this.

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    $550 will scare some buyers and leave an opening for Microsoft to sell their competing machine for less. I'll buy it at $550. I paid $799 for my current gpu that will be outdated in 2 years. $550 for a system that remains relevant for 5+ years is fine by me. Another reason I'm bowing out of pc gaming. I'm getting old and have too many other responsibilities to pay $800 for a piece of hardware that's laughable in 2 years time. Consoles give a great price to relevancy ratio.

Both consoles combined will most likely end up costing what a 2080 Ti goes for. I'll take the 2 consoles for that money and longevity.

EDIT: Report claims Dec 4th. Kind of odd. That's only a week and a half after black Friday. How many more units could they really make in 2 weeks time vs. shipping ahead of the biggest shopping day of the year?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Makes me wonder what the PS5 controller will sell for because the DS4 controllers sold for $60 bucks at launch and now is around $40-50 bucks depending on where you look. I saw the pictures of the possible PS5 controller and it is nice piece of tech. My guess would be around $70 bucks maybe.
    Yeah $550 may scare of some buyers. Yeah you are on to something about how many units they will have before and after Black Friday. Also From what I have heard about the release day that December 4th according to the sources that Sony wanted to have the PS5 on par with the original release date of the PS1 in Japan. But it's just rumors going around at the end of the day because who knows what Sony wants to sell the PS5 for.

Serotonin likes this.
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    550$ is at ass end of where I would pay for console, even they I think that to much for console. that is gona be outdated tech wise the day it is launched, cause general by the time the launched there already a generation or 2 behind current tech. and how relevent it stays it dependent on the person. from my stand point the ps4 was ok 4 years ago, by today standards it out dated grapahicly and power wise. that not to say im not amazed by what the can do with such old tech. then again I still waiting for the day I get 1080p@Stable60fps on console. here is to hope PS5 gen can do that

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    At least when the PS5 is released the tech won't be as obsolete as what the PS4 has in it when it was released. Same here I don't care about 4K on consoles at this point that being a necessity but I want at least 1080p with a solid 60fps. I agree that the PS4 now is pretty dated now a days. And the PS4 pro isn't that much better either.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    1080@stable 60 fps is bare minimum that should be accepted for consoles at this point. 4k60fps and 8k are pipe dreams for consoles imo consider 1080p@ stable 60 fps still isnt an industry min standard, we dont even have 1080p as industry minimum standard for cable/sat tv. Streaming services are only thing that come close to that and 1080p was announced back in like 2000. I rather they give use that 1080p as it intended to be before announcing something that wont be used as standard for just as long.

By time ps5 and next xbox launched the ryzen 2 and gpu in them will be dated by atlest year. Again I still amazed by what current gen pulls off consider how bad there cpu was in comparison to it gpu. then again keep it under 300w in console package is challenged it of it self. and keep it cool and quiet is another ps4 and pro are not exactly quiet I think it was louder then my ps3 fat which used more wattage the ps4 and pro. and even that ps3 didnt suffer from coilwhine like pro and ps4 do.

550$ is pushing 399-450 sound much better to me, but no mater the price it will sell like hot cakes and people will buy some systems just to list them on ebay and 4x the price