Gigabyte outs PCIe Gen 4 AORUS card for PCIe4.0 M.2 SSDs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    PCIe to me only says "another small fan"... either chipset or now, PCIe SSDs...

4. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Just need the ways of liquid cooling.....soon enough.

Waiting happily for my giga x570 works extreme to have one ready.....

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well yes, but another two couplings and another block for a hard drive? Block, 2 couplings in addition, another tube to prepare?

Feels like we're going backwards... lowering TDP of CPUs and getting more energy efficient GPUs with semi passive mode just to introduce two 40 or 50mm fans again in your system... that's stupid.

6. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Meant for my CPU and VRM's my board is already passively cooled.

Not about to have a SB fan die on me again ....

I would slap on a couple/one big block to cool all of my M.2's for this guy as restriction isn't a thing in my system. Taking out four cards for one, so a lot more flow just opened up.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ah sorry, I misunderstood then.
    Well one's not the issue for restrictions, but... have a CPU and another mainboard block (or, one big mono), then one or two GPUs, and one or two PCIe SSDs... that definitely double of what a custom loop could be reduced too if you just skip PCIe 4.0 or not go for full custom water loop. I still have the subjective impression that they should figure out a way to get that technology (PCIe 4) to a passive state... it's not "2019" to introduce actively cooled components with mini fans.

DeskStar likes this.
  8. Alienwarez567

Alienwarez567 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    Never got my Asus Hyper M-2 card working not sure why.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the asus card is only functional on asus motherboards, theres a vendor restriction in the cards firmware.

10. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    just because it has a fan doesnt mean it always spins. i have an msi x570-a pro that has a chipset fan and it almost NEVER spins (only once during POST and then maybe a few seconds every minute at the lowest speed possible if its warm in my room)

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Personally, I'm just interested in devices like this to bifurcate/multiplex x16 slots into four x4 slots. This is appealing for heavy number-crunching GPU workloads, where you can just keep dumping in more GPUs. For such tasks, x16 is tremendously overkill, but x1 is slow enough to make a noticeable performance impact. x4 (especially for PCIe 3.0+) is usually more than fast enough to load up program data instantaneously.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, cards like this are always weirdly expensive, even though a lot of motherboards have similar functions built-in. Thanks to crypto miners, the x1 multiplexers are pretty cheap, but, that's taking an x1 slot and splitting it into more x1 slots, which isn't ideal.

12. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I have it working in my workstation. These cards require a motherboard that supports 4x4x4x4 mode in a 16x slot and a CPU that supplies enough lanes.

If you have all of that sorted it is a matter of using the correct slot and setting that slot to 4x4x4x4 mode.

Done correctly you can get some insane performance out of these cards:

[​IMG]

Robbo9999 and DeskStar like this.
  13. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    WTF!?!

14. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
  15. Get yourself a Highpoint SSD7103......That is a sweet nvme raid card/cooler/multiplexer. I have the 7102, and i really like it. They are 450 bucks, but if you are running a system extreme enough to require multiple Nvme drives, you can probably afford one. Certainly works best on a system with an excess of PCIe lanes.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If so, the question is if it's even necessary. And still.. we've come a long way to get rid of fans, now they are reintroduced... still feels like a small step backwards. But I can see it's not a big deal, but... :(

17. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    What is the impact on 4KQ1T1? I was actually surprised that VROC does not trash 4KQ1T1 (even in 4 way RAID) the way you would expect (see posted bench above).

18. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I feel where you are coming from, was thinking to stick to X470 for that reason, but if they almost never run and then only at a low speed I might not even notice it hopefully.

They need a device like this to be able to handle a set the hottest compatible SSDs on the market running full tilt for hours on end.
    So for most users they will never need to spin up. (anyways the NAND like to be warm - it increases its durability when written to)

Nice in theory, best check reviews to be sure each spinny fanned device's manufacturers also care about sound mitigation. (besides the damn things wear out if they keep spinning)

Still need to add my MSI 2080 Gaming X Trio to my cusom loop, but it looks so pretty...
    ...trouble is the heat from the GPU causes my RAM to overheat + needing case fans set to 75%, so I guess I'll be treating myself to a GPU waterblock. I can probably re-rig it's light setup with a little effort. I'm not that much of an RGB fan, but I really like what they did to this card :)

In less demanding games or playing at 1080p instead of 4k, it's fans do not even start up ! (and really quiet when they do spin)

That or I buy 64GB more modern and faster RAM, no bad options here really :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.