Gigabyte Aorus Threadripper 3000 motherboard reveals active cooling and massive VRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Always nice to see new tech making its way to the surface.

Already bit the proverbial bullet on my newest build and couldn't be happier. 3900X is a beast....

Solfaur likes this.
  3. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Man, I haven't seen active cooling on the soutbridge / northbridge for a while. They were pretty commonplace back in the X48 and 750i days (and earlier), but since then, I haven't seen many. Maybe on an Asus TUF board or two.

On a related note, I miss having Nvidia be in the motherboard business. I was a fan of the Nforce chipsets (particularly the 680i). When Intel forced them out, it was a sad day. Fewer real choices on the market. :(

fantaskarsef and DeskStar like this.
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Aekold, I'm feeling you man. I actually still have a bricked DFI LANParty nF680I stored in its original box. I have no idea why I've kept it for so long, who knows, maybe some day it will have a value for collectors haha. Anyway, triple RIP - for the nforce chipsets, for the defunct DFI and for the actual dead board (iirc it was due to a bios flash gone wrong...) :p

OT - I just bought ax570 Aorus Master - it's one amazing board, especially in regards to VRM. So I'd be surprised if Gigabyte won't do a repeat for the new TR motherboards, they really stepped up their game again. They were awesome in the past, then for some years not so much, the're back now!

Aekold and fantaskarsef like this.

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Still remembered buying two x58 boards 9ne with the NF200 South ridge and one without. Of course the 200 stayed with me...

Aekold and fantaskarsef like this.
  6. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Pricing of the new Threadripper boards is going to be very interesting, especially compared to high-end x570.

I'm also curious to see is Gigabyte will make anything comparable to the upcoming X299X Designare 10G for Threadripper 3K.

7. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I think Darth Vader used this motherboard to stay alive. It's just as ugly anyway.

8. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    I wish we could get some motherboard with passive cooled chipset, like they did with the x570 aorus extreme, i really don't like proprietary fans.... this is one of the features that i would pay extra.

DeskStar and Exodite like this.
  9. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Completely forgot they even had those on the X58 boards! That was basically the phase out point, it seems.

DeskStar likes this.
  10. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    My old X38 board, that really should have had a fan over the northbridge despite it using quite a large heatsink with heatpipes, actually got hot enough to burn on touch...

11. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Yes it was as they offered two models with and without the nf200 south bridge...

12. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Motherboard I just bought.

Solfaur likes this.
  13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    The age of 95watt is over, The time of 1000watt has come.

DeskStar likes this.