Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Apr 13, 2019.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I hear you. To the artist: I don't actually pirate games anymore... I'm wealthy enough to pay full price. But with paying for what I play, I got more conscious about what I invest my money in. So I buy only a hand full of games a year, and most certainly, I have a library full of "dead" games, bought parts one and two of a series that I didn't like an hour into the first game... that was back then when there were no refund policies. Maybe that's what EGS is looking for too :cool:
    But I also skip games I don't fancy... don't want to pay full price for... it has advantages, like always having a good game or two at hand to get when there's time, but also the disadvantage of usually not being able to have a share of new game chat here on the forums.

But yeah... GOG all the way, and gmg I use too. Sadly, yesterday I checked, and they didn't seem to have keys for Fallen Order (yet?)
    And of course, playing Battlefield games (and having bought the Command & Conquer Anthology), Origin... and Ubisoft because back then I was gifted Anno 2070... and Battlenet because I play Overwatch and Hearthstone... so... yeah... when I'm forced to. But so far I could abstain from feeding the EGS scheme.

And that's the thing, I try to avoid feeding business models I don't fancy (games as a service, yes I mean you EA), and actually think paying for a SP game that's good, like hopefully this one, even though EA, is a good and fair thing.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  2. I'll find a way to articulate my discomfort with "games as a service". Maybe it's as simple as saying because I know the way the game publishers of the West push it they want to take the ownership rights away from the consumer and it's as simple as that. You'll have to come to them every single time you want to play one of their intellectual properties like a drug dealer. They'll monetize the fu*k out of it.

They want addicts not customers.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Kono

Kono Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    Many suggested not to pre-order game or purchase at full price. IMHO, if one think the game is good, one like the developer, or one like the game, one should go ahead and purchase the game at full price if financially capable. The developer are people like us. Piracy does hurt the industry. Would one be able to work without getting pay to take care of the everyday life necessity? it just that simple. If I don't have the extra money or the game I like but not excite for, I would wait for sales, never pirate! IMHO, Piracy will only bring destruction to our hobby. I rather eat a few more instant noodles to save up a bit for a game that last me many hours. :)

4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Its not that simple and its confirmed that priacy is not hurting the devs like someone might think, there are studies about it.

You can also count on it that the game will have the newest Denuvo version which issnt cracked yet and also its not about the version cos every game handles it differently.

5. Kono

Kono Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    I don't know why, I never have problem with Denuvo, it never affect my game performance. Grant that I don't overclock my system or do any fancy tweak to OS or fancy dual graphic cards. I have been pretty blessed with pc gaming. I basically the type of gamer that if the game run smooth, no crash, no stutter, above 40fps, I'm good. lol

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I used to pirate games living at home still a kid going to school with too much free time (I wasn't bad at school). Since I earn my own money I spend it. Not necessarily wisely, but as I said, I don't pirate stuff anymore. No need to in most cases. (Although pirating "tv" with the fractured streaming service thing everywhere does seem to feel more right these days, but I don't even do that. So what if I don't know how Game of Thrones ever ended... I'll see it someday.)
    But as @ShadowDuke says, there's studies claiming that piracy doesn't hurt the industry as much as they'd like you to think. Same with the movie industry. I've yet to even see a study reported and linked that claims otherwise... that said, I meant more like buying keys that are cheaper (for Fallen Order I saw an offer for 40€ instead of 60€ so it does make a difference), or simply buying on a discount.

One other thing is, I'm kind of fed up with DLC policy... serving customers slice wise to build addicts and not customers, like @K.S. said, with many games I think to myself, I'll wait until it's a GOTY edition which is on discount... usually the far better buy, hardware might be one step ahead then if you upgraded in the meantime, etc. which makes more sense.
    With a completed, full game, which arguably comes with a few DLCs which meaningfully expand the game, I'd be willing to pay for a "season pass" of sorts. But I honestly got outraged when playing Assassin's Creed 2, and even in the release disc on PS3, there was already 2/14 chapters to replay in the menu greyed out, clearly (and so I found out, I was right) reserved for future DLC. This upset me so that I just quit to feed this stuff, this policy too... so I tend to postpone game buys in general. Pay less, don't feed this machinery at the very first opportunity there is, and get a collection to play through games in a total, not just wait for them to get completed.

CDPR did something nice there with W3: They made those DLCs so that they wouldn't be built into the main game, but sort of offered mini additions. I honestly loved this game very, very much, bought the GOTY for dirt cheap via GOG, let it lie around a year or more and then played it through. By my heart, one of the best PC games I ever played.

Excellent price, very high polished game (sad about the graphical downgrade before release but ok), no bugs, and I could play it through in one go. And to me, this feels like a good alternative to many, many games out there.

7. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    To be fair, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine were more like classic expansions to W3, rather than DLCs (especially B&W). But yes, ever since dlcs became a thing it all started going downhill. First you've had pre order dlcs, then you got season passes, multiple year season passes, and then you got the lootboxes. It's like the offered material lessened, but the price remained. I also am really worried for DOOM Eternal, seeing how Bethesda recently pulled a d*ck move with Fallout 76 (originally cosmetics only - now they've revoked that).

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes, they did it well. I did not feel cheated out of anything when playing W3, and I honestly thought, after playing through the main game and HoS, okay it's over now. B+W though... very good expansion imho. And yes, traditional expansions... nothing wrong with that! Only later they introduced nonsensical things like endless wave modes etc. to games as DLC with two or three cosmetics, charge another 10$ for stuff that could easily be offered for free... that's the kind of DLC I don't fancy.

Well Bethesda... I would so, so, so much love to be anxious about the next Elder scrolls game but... Skyrim is 8 years old by now... and it already was offering DLCs etc... honestly, I think it will be a good game (if there will be any new Elder Scrolls game), but it will be plagued with the crap that Beth does recently.

Fallout 76 was the best move of them for me, after they already introduced Elder Scrolls Online, to keep away from them. They simply didn't give me what I wanted (a good single player game, here we have it again), so I skipped out. And in hindsight it still feels like the right decision tbh... can't be bothered by their change of heart in regards to DLCs, collector's edition stuff being sent out months and months after the game's release and then they're crap etc. stuff like that just shows how they just wanted the money and didn't care about anything else.

So to stay on topic, even if Fallen Order gets story based, good DLCs / expansions, if they are good and offer enough playtime for me to enjoy it, I'd even buy those. Season passes are another thing, because these days you don't even know or get told what they include in many cases.
    Like e.g. Battletech... good game at launch. Season pass announced along with the first DLC... so what the hell? They already created, made, and announced the first DLC at the game's release? They could have just given it away at day one for bloody sake... the rest is just milking gamers. Season pass goes for three expansions, and they didn't even announce #2 and #3 until I had already played through the campaign, uninstalled, installed again for a free run, and uninstalled again. What the hell's that policy supposed to do?

Did they say something about DLC and expansion content in regards to Fallen Order?

emperorsfist likes this.
  9. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I looked at buying the game and if I see it correctly, the only official retailer is EA who want it for 60€ ? I mean I found a lot of grey market offers for ~45€, but since the only retailer is EA I assume those are from stolen CC.

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Same here, I found the cheapest keys around € 41+ but... I'm not sure about those sellers. Not really fancy paying 60€ to EA out of principle...

11. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I've heard that the only pre-order bonus so far is an orange lightsaber (a real color from previous SW games, even if never used in movies). No Season pass so far (the game has no multiplayer).

I would like the game to do well (if it's any good, of course), because I would like a similar game, only as an Imperial, whacking some rebels (highly unlikely, though). Even if it would be "just" an expansion story.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. Some more info about BD-1... I thought we would be able to customize him(it?) visually.

jbscotchman likes this.
  13. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    You know, I'm kinda sick of these "cute and merchandiseable" things in every new SW product, but if it only goes beep-boop when I want it to, then it's fine.

14. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Seen this in GMG today, it's labeled as "coming soon" and has no price yet, but I bet it will be better price than from Origin store and GMG is an official reseller instead of grey market.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Oh, it's finally available on GMG.
    Spiffy. Now I'll seriously consider buying a copy. :)

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yep, just wishlisted it on GMG

17. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    KissSh0t likes this.
  18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    jeez, steam's forum is full of toxic people.

19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, noticed it too now that I started steam.
    As for requiring origin, what did you expect? Honestly, that's no surprise at all, since it's done that way by e.g. ubisoft as well.

GMG, btw, does now no longer have the game directly viewable in the library (last status was "coming soon"). It doesn't show up in the search for me either.
    My wishlist, only containing this game, does show containing one game, but not listing any. I think they are just getting it ready, since it never showed on what platform the key would be, to make it a steam game. That said, as it still requires origin, I'd honestly prefer them to give out origin keys, since then it would not require steam to be started, while needing origin either way.

20. And here comes the launch trailer... a bit too soon I guess?

cerebus23 and serbicu like this.