Game changer battery for electric vehicles/PCs etc is on the way, at last!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Mufflore, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-drivers-1-500-miles-without-charging-it.html

This might be the catalyst for electric vehicles to finally take the high ground, there are a lot of wows.
    9 times the energy density, none explosive, none toxic, recyclable, ...
    They dont even need charging, once spent replacement takes a reported 90 seconds!
    You could carry a small spare to get extra mileage, just in case.
    The only question is how much will they cost, although he is in talks with supermarkets to stock them.

2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This could solve only the less critical problem of all the issues involved with EVs.

Good luck dear Earth with lithium mines.

3. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    I really hope this is true, and could get to reality for consumers. Current battery tech is so... old...

I would consider getting a ecar, but not with current battery tech.

Brasky and Mufflore like this.
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm not sure I follow what you are saying, there is no lithium used in this new battery tech.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    No Recharging...?

No Thanks.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You get 9x the energy for the same space in the car and can change the battery in 90 seconds.
    The car will be a lot lighter (if you fit less batteries), safer and can travel much further.
    You dont need to wait hours for a battery to charge, you can carry a spare to get you home and back twice (on a long journey), then go to the supermarket to swap the spent batteries!
    I'm not seeing the downside, it could be less time consuming than filling up at a petrol station for the number of miles it will let you do.

If you want to travel across continents you can fill the boot with spare batteries!

airbud7 likes this.
  7. It's interesting... hopefully we'll see it to market before...

HonoredShadow likes this.
  8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Without recharging, this seems pointless.

People often have to recharge their car batteries every day. So what this is saying, is every 9 days, they need a new battery, because recharging isn't possible.

Not to mention it's exceptionally wasteful.

If they make it rechargeable, it'll become useful, until then it's a pointless, wasteful and impractical solution.

No ones going to go "Hey look at this battery that can last me years, i just have to recharge it every now and then! But look, this is even better, a battery that'll last me 9 days, and then i have to find a replacement!"

I mean imagine if your phone battery was this way? No recharging capabilities, and you had to replace it every week? That'd be immensely annoying

From the article:

"In a Tesla, Jackson says, the battery costs about £30,000. An aluminium-air fuel cell that would power the same car for longer would cost just £5,000."

Tesla batteries last, given no defects, 250,000-300,000 miles. Depending on how you drive, that could be 10+ years.

10+ years for £30,000

Or

9 days for £5,000

Hmmmm....

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Alessio1989 and Brasky like this.
  9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This will not solve anything like the gazillions other better alternatives to lithium batteries. It's a political issue. It was always a political issue like diesel over gasoline over LPG over methane over hydrogen. It is sad, yes, but first you need to action in a political way to nullify all economical stimulation on what is worst.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  10. crap I should have read that better I realized no recharge but didn't realize they planned on applying it to PCs and appliances that function because they recharge. keyword because. not to be annoying @Mufflore or anything. it's good tech - since if it's an improved fuel cell design who knows maybe jpl or someone may be interested in working with someone like that for some application & refining it.

EDIT: or maybe that's his way up playing his cards close to his chest... not releasing the information on how to make it able to recharge. that invention will come later at a $$

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    It's bull$hit.

Non-rechargeable battery which you throw away ("recycle") after it's consumed.
    No chance in hell this will catch on.

Pretty much ^

Kaarme and Deleted member 213629 like this.
  12. lol she's great

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    after all this year and batteries not evolving I welcome this i hate 8 hour battery life some stuff has

Mufflore likes this.
  14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The £5000 isnt the cost of a single battery, it will be the cost of all the battery/changes required to provide the same power.
    And according to the article, the batteries can be recycled.
    You can pull into a shopping centre or garage and change battery, I'm not seeing the issue.
    Or take a spare out of your boot.

Its no worse than filling up at a petrol pump, which is WAAYYY better than having to find a free charge point and sitting on your thumbs for hours.

Icanium likes this.
  15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    He appears to have got past that.
    Its a new startup with the backing and funding he needs.
    It remains to be seen how it pans out though, as you pointed out there is substantial opposition.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's not what the article states even remotely.

"In a Tesla, Jackson says, the battery costs about £30,000. An aluminium-air fuel cell that would power the same car for longer would cost just £5,000."

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If they were to create a battery that gives the same Ah, those are the costs. It would be a massive battery so you would only use a small part of it at a time but still travel a lot longer distance than a rechargeable does on each charge.

The difference being:
    The rechargable is charged again when it goes flat, you wait hours.
    The Aluminium battery is replaced when it goes flat, you get many more miles and it takes minutes to replace.

edit
    It really is as capable as they have stated.
    I can see the cost rising a little as the cost of recycling will need to be added to the price of each battery change.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    What if someone invented a battery that you can recharge just by putting a liquid "fuel" into it like at a petrol station, not changing the battery just filling the battery with something that makes the battery produce electricity, that would be kinda awesome I think.

And I don't mean recharging a battery with electricity, I mean a battery that you can recharge with a liquid being poured into the battery...... if that makes sense?

I don't know maybe I'm crazy.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There already is, the hydrogen fuel cell.
    The problem is getting hold of the hydrogen (cost) and storing it in high pressure vats.

airbud7 and KissSh0t like this.
  20. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    "He cut off the top of a can of Coke, drained it, filled it with the electrolyte, and clipped electrodes to it, powering a small propeller."
    Maybe in time engineering will be able to make "can of coke" part of the car so all that would be needed was to add the electrolyte.

airbud7 and KissSh0t like this.