Far Cry 5 Thread:

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    W
    Well it didn t really age well did it?

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I wanted to like FarCry 2. I really, really did.
    Was super excited for the game, pre-ordered it... could not wait to play it.

And for the first few hours, I was all in. Combat was solid, visuals were great...
    Then, gun jammed. And jammed. And jammed... then exploded. Then malaria, okay... lets turn around and go back and resupply on ammo, oh... those enemies are back. Okay. Kill them, get ammo... turn around start going back... wait, the enemies are back again. The hell...

Oh, new gun... ohhh... it's rusted and broken. Oh it blew up. Malaria.
    Hey, a cutscene... oh, the actor is speed reading the script... budget probably couldn't keep the sound booth open long enough...
    Oh... a new mission. But, it's exactly the same as the last one, and the one before that. And before that.

BUT... Africa is supposed to be incredibly deadly and dangerous, lets explore..... well... no dangers out in the wild. No hostile animals. Malaria.
    Oh, a person... oh wait, outside the town... means this random person instantly knows who I am and wants to kill me? Yep. Shot at me on sight, even though I'm currently working for his side. Gotcha.

There's a lot FC2 does right. The core combat/gunplay (when weapons are jamming for the 20th time and exploding) is great. Stealth is a little borked, but showed promise. The world is gorgeous, and well designed. I love the real world map and healing yourself.
    But, there's so much about the core design that just falls flat.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Same, except for me this was condensed to a time of about fifteen minutes I think (glad I bought the budget re-release way after release).

I did retry the game a few years back but still felt the same. Or actually even worse because open world / sand box fps had been done way better many times ever since.

I do give FC2 credit for vision and ambition though, nothing quite like it had been done at the time I think.

Still, gameplay first and systems second, not the other way around.

ramthegamer likes this.
  4. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    My first time, I think I lasted three hours...
    I tried to replay it a while back. And made it about two hours again.

I then bought it on Steam for a super cheap sale, with the thought that I was gonna really make myself do it this time.
    I installed it, but never even launched it.

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    so i reinstalled this game to try it with my 1070, and damn the difference in performance, i could barely get 50 fps on a 970, with a 1070 the game runs at 90-100, plus thx nvidia for providing sharpening slider in control panel , i got rid of the awful blur introduced with TAA, now game looks very nice

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I was thinking about getting back to FC but mainly to try those Mars and Zombie dlc's.

7. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Agreed. The Nam DLC is surprisingly good imo.
    Makes you wonder why no one is developing a great Vietnam wargame with a story. Maybe even with a touch of sarcasm & funny characters like in GTA. An openworld M.A.S.H. game in Nam would surely be something unique.

ramthegamer likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it is strange nobody has touched vietnam since battlefield.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Hehe, Nam is the only one i was not interested in but after reading your post im intrigued.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  10. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Rising Storm 2

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Vietnam is a difficult one to do.
    It's hard to do it and be accurate, while still making it seem like "you're the hero"...

And, if you go accurate, you're aiming for a very dark, grim... and overall unpleasant game atmosphere.
    Which, Spec Ops: The Line showed that while there's an audience for such a title... it's not a profitable one. So, that could be a big reason why so few are willing to really touch on it.

Heard stories from my father in law before he passed, as he was a Marine in Vietnam. And they were... absolutely horrific.
    So much so that he couldn't talk about it for long before breaking down.

12. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Yeah maybe Nam is still something most ppl in the US dont really want to be reminded of and i guess most AAA games are still made in the US (?).

I had the same thing with my grandpa who was captured on the eastern front in WW2. When i asked him about it he just gave me that ice cold glance like saying 'you dont wanna know, trust me'. Never asked again.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Far Cry Vietnam would probably mix it up a bit though although not as much as some of the earlier attempts did much as I enjoyed some of the games themselves back then their portrayal isn't quite correct.
    Wonder what's next for the series though, Ubisoft political-but-not-exactly-real-political stance is a odd one as well. Just from recent titles that's a odd thing for what they had in Watch_Dogs, Far Cry, Division and Ghost Recon.
    (It's a strange couple of games and their stance condoning and letting players do yet admonishing and condemning the acts which you get away with or are forced to commit some pretty messed up things heh.)

The author or lead writer of the Far Cry main games seem to really like this duality thing too maybe you are this maybe not and the game just goes wee and rolls with one thing and bombards the players with a ton of maybes all the way throughout for what's - possibly. - really going on it gets a bit much and doesn't work too well after Far Cry 3 personally but it's there.

14. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Mushrooms. Mushrooms nightmare visions galore. That put me off big time. Stopped playing FC4 in one of those red temple dream sequences. That writer really has issues.

15. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Yeah, I still love the gameplay of all 5 FarCry games, but the writing/story has become worse and worse since #3.... the forced drug hallucinations and unavoidable mystical bull poop just made things worse. For FC4 and FC5 I had to install mods to essentially overhaul all of that crap so I could have fun ignoring story stuff completely in a second playthrough.

It's sad, but I won't be buying Far Cry 6 until/unless the reviews indicate they have changed their style drastically and only after a couple years when it's $10 on sale. Realistically though, I'd be better off just going back and replaying a modded FC 3/4 again (since I doubt they are going to change just because I don't like their style anymore).

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah agreed.

When you're high on Bliss for the umpteenth time and Amazing Grace is playing in the background in FC 5 you start feeling like you're actually on drugs yourself...

I mean if that's what they wanted to achieve then mission accomplished but it surely gets annoying not to mention weird after a short while.
    The writer must really like these "reality expanding" experiences, ahem.

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Which mod did u install?

18. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    That's the same thing i told myself when realising FC5 was more of the same insane BS. That's why i went for that blonde girl first - and not for the right reasons! :D

Can you point us to some FC3 mods that would get rid of all those drug / dream sequences? That would be very much appreciated.

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    head over to nexusmods, u ll find everything u need, and with tutorial how to install, i just did some for farcry 5

20. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    For Far Cry 5 I used this mod - https://www.nexusmods.com/farcry5/mods/31 - it basically allows you to play the game, while ignoring the putrid story and not being restricted as far as what you can do as soon as the tutorial is over. It worked quite well other than being broken whenever there was a game update. I imagine FC5 isn't getting patched by the devs at this point, so theoretically that problem is gone.

For Far Cry 4 I used this mod - https://www.nexusmods.com/farcry4/mods/26 - It unlocks everything, including the map so you can explore and play as you wish while ignoring the story. I didn't mind the story too much in FC4, other than the horrible Shangri La shitfest. The lighting effects in those missions were so bad that I literally was not able to finish the game/story (those missions made me physically sick, nausea and headaches etc). Thankfully everyone on both sides in FC4 is equally a jerk, so I didn't mind not being able to finish it. Anyways, the mod is great, I cleared every single thing on the map and did every possible mission that didn't involve the story etc.

For Far Cry 3 it's been too long and I can't remember everything I used, but this mod compilation was the majority of it. - https://www.nexusmods.com/farcry3/mods/15 - It basically unlocked everything and lets you avoid the story if you wish to. I used it for a second (and third) playthrough.

cerebus23 likes this.