Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Believe me, Origins/Odyssey are the better ones (even if only because they're an easier blend of Witcher 3 elements, and sorta Dark Souls-esque combat). XD

But yes, the grind is real in Odyssey - it's there so that you buy the booster packs. Someone at Ubisoft deserves crotch rot for that.

2. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    It's the Ubisoft formula. When you think about it, the company makes only one game, but in three iterations. 1st person, 3rd person and that one is split between combat with swords/bows and with guns. The loop of Far Cry is almost identical to AC, and even Ghost Recon (Wildlands). I've enjoyed Origins (got it about 60% - 70% off, because someone was selling his coupon that he got with a GPU), and Odyssey is more of the same with a tweaked combat system (but way more grind). If anything, you can mod Origins with the "Animus panel" to make it skip most of its (way less prevalent) grind. XD

I also hope that Cyberpunk will blow these out of the water, just like Witcher 3 did.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've played this game for 72h and I'm wondering which grind you're talking about?

Also, I think it's a bit unfair to bash AC:Odyssey like that, there are far worse games out there. The main questline is pretty great, there are quite a few memorable quests which are well written, combat can be fun if skills are properly used. Sure, there are a few frustrations here and there like getting stuck in stuff while doing parkour, naval battle (for me at least), getting around some parts but overall I feel like they've created a huge world full of content.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  4. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I don't think that the company wants to make anything like that. It's that simple. In Odyssey, you do get a limited conversation system, but nothing on the level of the games you mentioned (or their past iterations). It was never meant to be that type of game. Ubisoft sticks to its one formula. I liked FC2 and 3, but never cared for 4 and 5 (rehashes). I never liked AC, but Origins came closer to something that resembled fun to me (will be no doubt rehashed for the next decade), and I never cared for Watch Dogs / Ghost Recon.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I don't agree since it really feels like Ubi has glanced at Witcher 3 and tried to make it more RPG like. Conversations do branch out a little, you can play with UI and all the help that's normally there or play without UI and just use conversations to help you find your goal, there is ton of loot where you can focus on Warrior if you prefer hand to hand combat, Assassin if you prefer to go all out on stealth or Hunter if you prefer to pick mobs out from a distance. Yes, it's not as deep as games mentioned by angelgraves but on the other hand he seems to be 100% sure that those unreleased will be as described.

I'm not saying AC:Odyssey is a miracle or comparable to Witcher 3 but it sure is the best AC ever made.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It was nice enough with the level 50 cap but the patch forcing a 70 and then 99 cap and then that pushes the passive mini bonuses to having to actually hit 99 first which also scales everything up yeah it's a bit of a grind if you're trying to keep pace but at least the main regions end around the 40's something though even here it takes a good amount of upgrade material and some money for gear though you find plenty but lower level enemies drop gear in their range and upgrading these can take a ton of components even if higher level opponents somehow drop a massive amount of resources which is still not always enough. :D
    (Skin this wolf some 300 times and then wrap some 2000 furs around the sword, thousands of itty bitty iron rocks and these other crystals, obsidian shards and enough Drachmae for a small kingdom of your own. :p )

Game had it's moments and there are ways and cheap tactics to deal with at least some higher level enemies but after a I think it was 5 levels higher threshold they go skull mode and that's near instant death if you're not very careful especially with bigger groups, mercs with abilities of cheapness or adds ranging from guards to crazy civilians who just have to join in. (They do pick up fallen enemies weapons and even other stuff so some temple priestess going up with a battle axe on the Misthios is a bit of a sight.)

EDIT: Story had some fun bits too although it divided early and players could be a bit disconnected starting some entirely different thing suddenly and also branches a bit and the game will hit just about every region on the map for where you need to go and do this and that often in higher level regions along with traveling all over plus the lapses as you have to whack-a-cultist and other work or just grind or do side quests and the random mini quests and events.

Think they nerfed down the make-a-quest story system too what it was named again so getting silly amounts of gold and XP is now less of a probability but some of them might still work.
    (You do eventually get quite powerful though and then the mastery system but there is some grinding and then a bit more for the DLC content still if that's something that is to be tackled too.)

EDIT: While it's not happening under normal play conditions and the bonuses quickly hit a soft cap it takes around 1900 levels of mastery to fill everything though the mastery continues endlessly though again it's not going to be anywhere near this for a normal playthrough.
    (Before being re-adjusted after the level 99 cap increase it also took a few million XP for each mastery level unlike the 50 cap and then the 70 level cap requirement making it much slower even if enemies gave more experience too but the scale was just so much bigger though it was fixed in a later patch.)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm trying to think back to how it was when I first started the game but you're right that it was difficult in the very beginning since you don't have skills. But trust me when I say that once you get past 10 and start earning some skills, things get easier and easier. Also, I like exploring so I check out each "?" mark which always has some kind of loot as reward.

The story has just begun so I think you might be a bit too quick to judge. It will evolve in several different directions once you start interacting with the Cult. A big part of the game is still stealth and if you kill guards/troops without getting killed your bounty meter won't fill up but if you start slaughtering people in the middle of the street or stealing stuff which are marked red your bar will quickly fill up. Yes, mercs are tough in the beginning but later they aren't much trouble at all. Also, if you always start with a stealth opener it removes a large chunk of their health making the whole fight easier.

My advise to you is to do the normal quests and hold on a bit until you start getting skills. Select warrior skills that do a lot of damage and they'll make sure to turn the fight in your favor. You'll keep leveling up and getting skills (you can get skills from other sources than leveling up) plus you'll start getting more gear which will gradually make the game easier. Later you'll start putting that hard earned money into armor and weapon engraves that will give you nifty bonuses. Last but not least, if you have a bounty on your head, you'll see a red symbol (like a coin purse on your map) that will show you where the bounty giver is. If you kill him quietly your bounty will disappear. Personally I welcome mercs since they drop a ton of money and materials which are great for upgrading weapons.

8. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Are you trying to say that Ubisoft wanted to make Witcher 3 more "RPG-like"? The Witcher is already more of an RPG than Ubisoft's post W3 AC games. Yes, I agree that Origins and Odyssey owe much of of its mechanics to W3 (they were almost literally copypasted), and I will agree that it made the (incredibly stale) series better, but it's still a Ubisoft openworld game in its main loop. That you can turn off parts of the hud is something that Ubisoft started doing around FC4 (they've been incrementally increasing what you can turn off), because in FC3, people complained about the hud being a bit too prevalent and intrusive (its prevalence was a knee jerk reaction of Ubi to certain critiques of FC2).

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    No, I wrote that Ubi looked at Witcher 3 and tried making AC more RPG like, sorry if I was unclear. Completely agree that AC has been stale for a long time, and still is (some parts of it). After 50+ hrs I felt that it's a lot of copy pasta here and there (I for example cant bother with all the questions marks any longer) I just want to finish the main story.

emperorsfist likes this.
  10. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Oh, ok. It was worded that way, although I couldn't believe that it was anything but a mistake. XD

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Absolutely :) Witcher 3 is the pinnacle of RPG games, it's a god among games :p

Dragam1337 and emperorsfist like this.
  12. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I still think that that title belongs to the original Deus Ex (its godhood is augmented), but yes, W3 is the best game of this decade (even better with Ghost mode and Halk's HD assets). ;)

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    In that case try level scaling : https://support.ubi.com/sv-SE/Faqs/...ng-in-Assassin-s-Creed-Odyssey?fallback=en_US (I use the setting where the content is matched to my level at all times, but it seems that mercs and mythical beasts are the exception)

Yes, the question marks are almost always a location with something to kill (a bandit den, a ruin, an alpha animal) but in Odyssey what's interesting are the main quests, the side quests which helps you find Cult members and the tales of greece quests. Timed quests and bounties are boring.

About RAGE 2, I don't remember that you could kill anything anywhere. All locations have difficulty levels and the toughest locations (for example the road turret) were impossible at low levels.

Anyway, since you don't see anything positive with the game and the tips I've tried to give you are ignored then I guess you won't miss out on the game and should try playing something else :)

cerebus23 likes this.
  14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yea rage 2 had levels to areas if you went to the high level area you would be wiped out.

the world is what always made the ass creed games fun to explore. the first time you ran around a semi decent depiction of the middle east? it was a unique setting and the setup was interesting.

Now we in the medeterrian pyramids, greek temples, yea these locals have been covered in media more but it still cool to climb the pyramids or the temple of zeus. see some of the ancient wonders. and now they going more mythical with the things so they bring in all sorts of crazy stuff if they gonna bring gods and titans into the soft reboot of the series.

i like the game i not played in forever but i was playing obsessively for awhile exploring and doing random stuff mostly murdering romans or whoever.

and i got a urge to get back in i just do not have enough usb plugs for everything i juggling i need to invest in a 3.0 card or something.

15. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

angelgraves13 likes this.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I do agree with you on the grinding stuff, and levelling up, i agree on that, anw i stopped playing this game a long time ago

angelgraves13 likes this.
  17. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    So I've done a couple quests in the Elysium part of the Atlantis DLC. I'm doing it with the quick start option, just jumping into the Atlantis DLC without doing all the base story quests. Is there any way I can visit the city of Atlantis without doing any more quests?

Thought I'd ask just in case. If not then it's looking like I'll have to finish Elysium then finish the Torment section before I can start on quests to enter the door to the main Atlantis city. Just being lazy, gotta see Atlantis fast.

18. Rafnagud

Rafnagud Master Guru

GPU:
    INNO3D RTX 4080
    Amen!

Respawning is the worst feature in the history of gaming.
    I remember i almost broke my 1300 euro monitor in the time of Far Cry 2 and Titan Quest hahaha.

19. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Titan Quest is a Diablo-type game, so the respawn is a given, I guess (you wouldn't be able to grind loot XD), but Far Cry 2 suffered because of it. Try it with the Redux mod on Moddb, it helps (IMHO).

20. Rafnagud

Rafnagud Master Guru

GPU:
    INNO3D RTX 4080
    Yep, almost all games in this genre have it. The genre has everything i like but the respawning is completely ruining it for me. I seriously hate respawning in 99% of all games and genres.
    I wish there was an optional setting in every game for it.