CPU stress test utility?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Pigchild, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Can someone here post a link where I can get a good free Hardware stress test utility from? Preferably one that is basic and not in a zip file with additional mailware attached. I used to use Prime 95, Although after 3 years when I tried to open Prime it wacked out and the utility vanished. Everything I now find wants me to accept freeware which we know is never free or at least includes add on junk I don't want.
    Thanks.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    have tried getting new copy of prime95 from there site? you could use Aida 64 it has system stress test in. I been using aida 64 for years.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Aida64 is nice and stress and benchmarks cpu/ram.

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would have try OCCT which I use primarily to determine my OC, its probably more punishing than Prime95

Other good CPU stress utility is Asus Realbench, try stress test to run for at least 2 hours or more

Aida64 is useless, its doesn't punish enough CPU like Asus Realbench or OCCT, if you use PC mainly for gaming then Aida64 can helps, but if you are using PC more for rendering or when PC is running more than 6 hours at 100% load then this Aida64 won't show errors or crashes etc

Due this I use for all my OC Prime95, OCCT or Asus Realbench

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

5. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    For CPU stress testing I use Asus RealBench and Prime95, these two utility's are the best for cpu stress testing

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No, thats not how any of this works.

toyo and Deleted member 213629 like this.
  7. The thing I like about AIDA - speaking personally and not ragging on any other tool is how far as an aio aspect the cpu portion stresses good as prime. Not just that, most important for me I can run a CPU test/ memory / hard drives and the gpu all at the same time to their maximum capacities basically simulating my entire system at load all at once. My goal being to generate as much heat inside my case at one given instance to both stress the components & my cooling solution / airflow setup. My cooling is stable & are my components under full load / why I choose AIDA.

notation: I do use the Extreme Edition, it requires a license; there's a basic one which I understand does not.

Oh and far as links I would recommend just googling the tool names

Just seconding OCCT as it's a great tool and also has a GPU benchmark - wonderful freeware utility

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2019
  8. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Yes, it works. The minimum time recommended for testing is2-3 hours, but if you want to be 99.99999 % sure then you can run the Prime95 tests for 2-3 days or even longer , then your PC is relatively stable , that is mine opinion

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that recommendation is absolutely null and invalid.

10. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Your answer is absolutely null and invalid.

11. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    It may be necessary to run the program 12-24 hours to make sure an overclocked system is stable (no program errors displayed).

"If you get errors only after several hours, this is a result of slight instability" because the system is running with little or no margin. It's stable enough to boot and to be moderately stressed, but as soon as the system is under enough load to go over that critical point, it will freeze. To be 100% stable, Prime95 should run 12-24 hours without any errors.

The point of testing is to see if you get errors or not thus testing the stability. The meaning of errors themselves is not as important.

Running Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes is enough to get a feeling about general stability. If it seems to be stable, increase the FSB (with 0.025V Vcore increase if needed), or increase the multiplier by 0.5.

Reboot and run Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes and repeat this until the Program displays errors.
    It's then time to back down and repeat the Torture Test until there are no errors for at least 12 hours.
    I do testing on my PC with Prime95 "Blend" Torture test , which stresses the maximum CPU power, heat, memory controller and RAM as well

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    most crashes are when the system is experiencing cyclic/transient load, not full or idle,

Your belief is literally the cause of most [invalid] application and driver bug reports.