Review: Alphacool EISBAER Ex BLACK LCS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We'll have a peek at an AIO cooler from Alphacool: the EISBAER EXTREME BLACK EDITION. It’s the best thing Alphacool has to offer in the AIO segment of the liquid coolers market. Alphacool i...

Review: Alphacool EISBAER Ex BLACK LCS

2. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 FTW3
    "The backplate has a tendency to push away when you’re trying to secure the block but with some patience, it is nothing that you can't handle. It would be best to have a third hand here."

this is the reason why I hate my current alphacool 280 aio and why I would not buy an aio from alphacool again.
    if you don't change your build for years, it may be acceptable, but if you rebuild once a year (or even more often), this mounting mechanism can aggravate you as hell.
    also, at least in my case, the backplate is made of plastic and on mine, one corner has already broken off :mad:

-andy-

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On other hand their AIO is like other AIO... you use for some time then change.
    But what bother me a bit is more the price of this one, you can buy real WC system from alphacool for that price.

It's good to see that they still do new thing in parallel with classic product.
    BTW if you have big pump, they have high pressure radiator that are awesome and not so pricy (look in "industrial rad") and a ball looking reservoir with pump inside that look good.

4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @rl66
    the "real" coolers (as in put together yourself) will cost almost double with same hardware/performance, so not sure why you want to compare those.

this aio is the best performing kit, maybe an EK predator would be similar,that's it. so no real competition from anyone that can beat this.
    this shows this isnt a unit, where i see a big difference vs a (value priced) custom loop (that also requires a lot more work).

and having a big pump should not be the case, if the system was properly planned (why would i go with more performance/power than i actually need? not even talking about higher cost and most likely more noise).

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    This kit is at 249,95 Euro in AlphaCool Shop
    right now you have a sale on the 3x120 rad, 2x ODD pump + reservoir with the CPU waterblock and tubing DIY kit at ... 249,95 Euro from the same shop
    AND the regular CPU waterblock + reservoir + pump, tubing and 2x140 radiator DIY kit (so the same that this AIO) have a regular price of ... 249,95 Euro also from AlphaCool shop.
    This is why i compare them price to price :)
    Also with the 2x140 AIO's price are from 99,95 Euro (Artic liquid freezer 2 280) to 154,95 Euro (TT water 3 280, and Corsair in 280), of course i would chose AlphaCool because i like their product, but if the price of the DIY kit is right, i found the price of the AIO a bit too much.

6. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Little too expensive...Option to add some tubing/GPU block is handy, but price wise...no, too much.

7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @rl66
    you need to compare the product by parts, not just by price.
    especially when it comes to pump/block/radiator.
    not many use copper rads, and no arctic/corsair etc aio will have a +80$ block, nor a pump thats anywhere close to this.

and the alpha thats coming with similar parts like those above (asetek designs), the price gets closer to those as well (for non-ex eisbaer).
    Yet its still modular, easily allowing me to upgrade/ad the pump/block/rad later, same as this/custom kit, which no corsair/arctic and the like will offer.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  8. JIMMY THE SNAKE

JIMMY THE SNAKE Guest

GPU:
    zotac rtx 280 ti
    hi all have been using this water cooler for 6 mouths intel 9900k at 5 ghz all cores 1.30 v. core temps never go over 70 c I know it a lot of cash for an AIO but this is not like any other AIO

fry178 likes this.
  9. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    Not related, but a heads up: the new privacy popup is super annoying when browsing this webpage on the phone. It is too small to read anything, and it pops up asking over and over every single time you open a new page or refresh a page on guru3d... on the pc it asks once, then is done, so there its all good. I read guru3d on a daily basis but stopped reading it over my phone now due to the pop up making it painful to browse.

10. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Nice kit! Performance and especially noise levels are top notch. Should have named it EISBAER Ex BLACK MAGIC instead!

Pricing tho is indeed high even compared to many 360mm AiO's or even custom 280/360kits. And it's not even a standard sized kit which means extra compatibility hassles/issues and that measly 2-year warranty is really sub-par anno 2019.
    ------------------------

About the comments from fellow members above about pricing of the AiO vs custom kits etc. Although similar it's clear that this(or similar expandable AiO kits e.g Eisbaer line, Swiftech etc) are more for buyers who don't wanna hop into custom loops(yet) but looking for a step above the usual clc kits.

Got my AC Nexxxos D5 480UT60 below years ago for €299 from either Alphacool directly or Aquatuning. Can't remember which one tbh. Although I got triple the rad space now since then, that kit it's been my benchmark when reading reviews or comparing kits etc.

[​IMG]

And I been checking from time to time and although these Alphacool kits are less common nowadays compared to back then, I still see them being offered regularly on sale and usually prices are good tbh for what you get vs top brand or same brand clc. It's a whole different market of course open vs close loop/semi expandable kits.

There's a Alphacool NexXxoS Cool Answer 360 D5/XT on sale for €204.75 directly from Alphacool.
    https://www.alphacool.com/16932/alphacool-nexxxos-cool-answer-360-d5/xt-kit

https://i.**********/4x0t9xNQ/Untitled-1-Copy.png

Personally I would get that(+D5 TOP and a different res?) but as said, different market from AiO's. And nothing wrong with that and I mean that because I've been running an Eisbaer 360 for the last couple months until I manage to finish rebuilding my now closing in to maybe $1k loop.

And with that going on atm and between the couple rebuilds(adding stuff, more rads etc) in the past few years, honestly I sometimes truly see the value offered of these kits/segment in terms of simplicity and peace of mind.

But I tend to forget what's said right above this everytime, when the loop is ready. :D

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    fry178 likes this.

11. KazeGG

KazeGG Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Alphacool undercutting their own 250€ AIO kit with an 205€ open loop kit .. :eek:
    I guess the high-end pump and silent fans justify the AIO price.

edit: I wonder how it compares to less than half price 106 € AIO kit, Alphacool Eisbaer LT360
    https://www.alphacool.com/shop/new-products/22107/alphacool-eisbaer-lt360-cpu-black
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  12. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    ^
    Nuh, I wouldn't worry about it. Nothing really can justify that price. Not even ACool themselves could probably do it. :p

*Those are kinda "older" kits offered most probably until stock runs out. It seems Alphacool is phasing the Nexxxos Cool Answer in favor of better named and more recent kits/product lines.

13. JIMMY THE SNAKE

JIMMY THE SNAKE Guest

GPU:
    zotac rtx 280 ti
    hi all check out jayztwosents review then go buy parts lol

14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @KazeGG
    Look for kits that include the same rad/pump/block.

This is like saying a fully loaded honda civic is cheaper than a base porsche.
    They aren't even close

None of the sub 200$ kits have identical block/pump,
    and most in the 200$ range still have a 240 rad,
    not 360 or 280 like this.
    I would have no problem spending another 40$
    to have custom loop performance on a prefilled aio that i can install in 10-15 min.
    Not gonna happen with a kit.

15. Akumu

Akumu Guest

GPU:
    4000mhz 16gb g.skill
    The performance looks quite nice but im not sure how you can justify the cost for a couple of degrees.

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    In regards to this cooler, or water vs air?