Intel reserved $ 3 billion in 2019 to competitively block AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You're implying something is broken. The vicious cycle is an intended function.
    No company escapes this. Every year must bigger than the last. But unlimited growth is impossible.

2. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Intel: Hey HP, we will sell you our CPUs for 50% off the normal price.
    HP: What's the catch?
    Intel: You offer ZERO products with AMD CPUs - including servers. And Dell took the deal...So if you don't..Just sayin'...your Intel CPUs might get pretty expensive and put you at a disadvantage vs. Dell...you know???

This is what Intel did last time. This IS illegal. Monopolies are legal but abusing your power as a monopoly is not. This is basically racketeering.

Of course, if the fine for breaking the law is less than the gained profits / preserved market share.. It can be worth it.

HandR, carnivore, Neo Cyrus and 3 others like this.
  3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I mean everyone is commenting on how this is wrong, which it is don't get me wrong. If it's true.

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Actually being a monopoly IS illegal, offering deals like that is not. @Mundosold it's the exact opposite.

5. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080

Not all monopolies are illegal. ... But monopolies are illegal if they are established or maintained through improper conduct

6. That's where I am confused - what is "wrong/illegal" - what Intel did in the past was; which was if I'm not mistaken amounted to "pay to play" schemes right? If not way more scaled up than just that.. basically shoving AMD out in certain segments with what amounted to almost bribing via discounts...

Now what I don't understand now is - everything circulating in the press is based off of rumors from Adored TV; which isn't a real journalistic source. Furthermore, the assertion being that Intel is going to have to basically eat the loss of attune to somewhere in the ballpark of basically 3 billion to gain-back market share from AMD. Please explain to me how that specifically is wrong as nothing specifically has even been proven or presented yet to specify it in a illegal means?

You kind of have a point... the big banks... what the big 4... people have been vying for their break up for years but they were in a sense government supported

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2019
  7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Are we basing this on a video from an AMD shill? On a dodgy slide? Or am I missing something.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. Nope - nothing missed I mean I just finished going through GoogleNews and apparently 3 sources there are too including TechRadar India so that's why I'm kinda a little confused.

9. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    "nothing specifically has even been proven or presented yet?"

-->Exactly, nothing has been proven, yet. However, what's essentially being pointed out here is that if AMD's natural progress gets deliberately hindered through improper conduct by Intel (or anyone else) then that defaults to an illegal status.
    I mentioned earlier two very important dates in the American legal system regarding this scenario: 1890 and 1914. Rest assured all other like(/reasonable)-minded countries will have this similarly covered too.

However, Intel very definitely has the means to do this, as they have done before. What their legal team are contemplating right now is just how much into the grey zone Intel can tread. I'd suggest anywhere even close to 3 billion puts them very firmly into the wrong side of that.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I feel like I'm reading some cheap journalism here, news based on nothing but a youtuber slide. I guess that's enough for some to jump to conclusions these days.

11. What like competition? Or perhaps maybe um... another business fighting back for market share to retain dominance and retain contracts they created with vendors? I see your point but just apply it to any market or field. It doesn't imply "bad faith" it simply means an open market could be functioning as intended.

I see your thinking but just because AMD sees friction in their given field doesn't assume... negative intent - where is that coming from may I ask?

12. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    No, I am straight up saying that if we ignore the wrong of the past and expect a different outcome, we are doomed to repeat it.

13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @ManofGod
    Then that has no relevance here.

@Mesab67
    As long as AMD is making money selling CPUs, then Intel is not a monopoly. If AMD were to go out of business then that's a different story, but until that happens (which is very unlikely, they are doing great) what they are doing (which is rumor) is fair game and legal.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  14. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    What has no relevance, your point or Intel's shady business practices, in the first place. Fact is, many claim AMD would do exactly the same and yet, they never have well Intel has proven time and again that if that can, they will.

15. @Cyberdyne I agree; @ManofGod no offense to you; I literally realize you're trying to say Intel acted on bad faith once; we should be cynics now on and assume that they'll do it again. That simply is just not a pragmatic way to live. AMD is guilty of corporate crime as well, no one's hands are clean in the military industrial complex and to argue otherwise is fanboyism. Frankly I'm going to end it here. Best wishes' ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2019

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I didn't say if they could they would. I said if they did I wouldn't care. Would you?

17. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    If you are referring to AMD, of course I would care but, they have never done so. Also, many do say that, even though you may not have. Ultimately, Intel cannot compete on merit and product so they have to attempt to "compete" on buying out others, instead.

Oh well, guess there are those who loved those constant quad core releases year after year. Not me, though.

18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I had the same issue with the epic store, instead of competing on merit and offering a better product, force you to buy from them with exclusive games. Steam never did that.
    But that doesn't make it illegal. Neither of us have to like it.

I guess the crux of this is whether you think Intel is a monopoly. Which it's not. At this moment in time.

19. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I am sure you are aware that they two circumstances are not even comparable, not by a long shot. Perhaps if there was 6 different competing processor companies and a start up was trying to get in the door, like EGS, then I could see something comparable. However, we know that is not the case in this circumstance.

Oh well, thankfully, AMD is kicking the crap out of Intel, at the moment, and is now sufficiently scared to try unfavorable stuff again. Hopefully, this time, they will not get away with it but, we will see. Fact is, we would be in a far more advanced position today if Intel did not sit on the quad core butt but, now they are being screwed by that decision, such as life.

Exodite likes this.
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Fact also is, we would be in a far more advanced position if AMD didn't release crap for 10 years.

You seem very narrow minded.