Comet Lake Core i3-10100 Desktop CPU Benchmark Surfaces - Has Hyper threading

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 12, 2019.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Price??? This would make sence at maybe $125-$150 but we all know how they like to overinfalte price so yeah, Its no wonder Amd has gained so much Traction Great price/performance ratio and greed factor not so bad.

2. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Actually they are 8 cores, they have 8 Arithmetic logic unit (ALU) cores which is where the instructions are carried out, but had 4 floating point units shared between the cores which can do mathematical calculations much faster than ALU cores but can not process the instructions thus a FPU is not required. Other wise Citrix, AMD, Intel, IBM should also be sued since early processors had no FPU at all and they later added the ability to install a FPU as a separate part like a DIMM slot. It's like saying if the CPU doesn't have an integrated memory controller it's no longer a CPU, just because all modern CPU's now have them integrated it's not necessarily a requirement for the CPU to function. In all honesty i have no idea how AMD even lost that case they must have horrific brain dead lawyers.

FYI chinebench used to detect it as 8 cores and 8 threads. This picture is from 2013

[​IMG]

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think we should just refer to this as the the "i3-20" (10100 is 20 in binary). Much easier to say.

It looks like an i7 from 2 years ago (7700 non-K) without boost clocks.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's because the courts don't have a clue what electronic jargon is and simply understood that "4 is not 8" even though it wasn't relevant to if the CPU had 8 CORES or not.

Anyone who believes the 8000 FX series were not 8 core processors are simply and honestly intel fanboys or salty. Facts are facts.

That's not to say bulldozer was a good design...you can dislike a product without blatantly lying about it.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's more about what consumers, without extensive knowledge, would believe when they are buying a CPU. If it was always only about what enthusiasts and experts know, the world would be a whole lot more difficult for an average buyer. By modern standards, it wasn't what a consumer would expect from a true 8-core CPU.

In a similar vein, I expect Intel to lose the Meltdown/Spectre lawsuits because it's not reasonable to expect commoners to be aware of them and redesign their systems to take them into account (if even possible).

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No, what funny is that it will cost as ryzen 3600 while having 2c/4t less.

7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    What's your beef bro?

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Actually it most likely won't. Remember, this CPU has no boost clock or unlocked multiplier, so 3.6GHz is all you're getting. Just about any Zen2 CPU ought to handily beat this, and I figure an overclocked Zen+ will probably make up for its worse IPC in higher clocks.

Yes - despite what a lot of people here are suggesting, the FX-8300 series didn't have 8 complete cores. It still had 8 distinguishable cores, but they shared resources like fetch, decode, the L2 cache, and I think the FP scheduler. Decode was eventually separated, which made a noticeable improvement in performance for certain applications. This is why the FX series performed weirdly poorly in certain workloads while being pretty decent in others.
    All that being said, I was one of the few people with an FX CPU that wasn't pissed off about it. I knew what I was getting and I was satisfied. Today, it's a workhorse for BOINC.
    So, I guess you could say I'm one of the few people who mostly agrees with the courts and was satisfied with my CPU. It's not like the penalty to AMD was all that severe.
    It's also worth pointing out that at the OS level, FX CPUs are considered to have SMT.
    I actually think Intel is more likely to be sued because of just simply "misleading performance", and, doing absolutely nothing at all for the consumers about the performance losses. They didn't do partial refunds or lower prices, they just pretended the product's value remained exactly the same, despite being degraded.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Ah here's Mr. Karma777police again spewing nonsense, making predictions that are blatantly false. Do you not remember when you posted that the 10 core processor would start at $400? And that Zen 2 would not have 16 cores? Has karma not come to bite you in the ass enough times yet?

10. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    It still beating Ryzen in gaming when overclocked, but who cares about 4 cores in 2019?

I don't. Not since q6600 XD

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i did not see a K on this i3 so i do not think it will be unlocked at all except if intel decided to leave her chips all unlocked the upcoming generation

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not sure how you can come to that conclusion about the Core i3-10100, which is what this thread is about.

13. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    It was about the posts above my post ;)

Read the thread.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I did, and my question still stands.

You quoted me, which is above your post, about a post that is no longer here, that simply came in to state this this processor, the i3-10100, would beat ryzen at gaming, which is blatantly false.

Not sure what more there is to read.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im confused wasnt HT pulled from i7's to become i9 only? now there giving it to i3?>

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Well well well Intel finally getting his head out of his ***. Nothing to do with the competition being stronger it's simply out of kindness for its customers /s.

Sarcasm aside it's great to see Intel back in the game. With the next gen consoles rumored to have 8/16 cpus i would personally not want to be stuck with anything less than 8 threads for the upcoming years. Buying a CPU with less than 8 threads in 2020 is not wise imo unless you're really cash strapped.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Undying likes this.
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Lies!!! my 6700k must and will last for another 3 years atlest I have no intrest in rebuilding my pc any time soon :eek:
    its already 2 years old I think. Sadly I see where 4/8 is limiting it dont think I be in much better place right now IF i got 5820k instead of the 6700k

18. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    You still got 8 threads though. I was referring to Core i5 lacking HT. Notably the 7600k which is only 2 years old. I've seen many people on BF V forum claiming to get unacceptable minimum fps on a 7600k (avg fps remains good of course as when not much is happening the fps is tied to the ipc more than the cpu multi thread capabilities).

I'm on a 1800x and it's butter smooth in BF V. There's also that revisit video HU did which really doesn't look good for 4 threads cpu at all. Would not be surprised 6 threads goes down the toilette once next gen consoles are released too.

I really don't expect big publishers to not start exploiting those 16 threads once they will be available on consoles. Not in the first year but they'll want to exploit them eventually. I mean once you already released 8 COD games on a given console you got to give a reason for gamers to buy a 9th one in 4 years ... s/

I don't think it will bottleneck 8 threads but 6 i would not be confident at all. Four i'm pretty sure it's going to be a problem in 2-3 years unless you spend 99% of your time playing WoW, Overwatch or Fortnite. Most games will still be fine but here and there the lack of 6 threads and maybe even 8 could be a struggle imo.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very interesting makes me wonder if the Pentium chips if Intel is still making those will make the jump from 2c 4t to 4c 4t which will make for a decent light gaming/office PC.
    Which is very interesting because the Fx 8xxx series CPUs under Windows 10 task manager under the performance tab reported the FX 8xxx CPUs as 4c/8t. My young Cousin's PC used an FX 8xxx CPU and I looked under the performance tab and it said that.

20. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Can't vouch for Windows 10, but under windows 7 and 8 it did detect it as 8 cores 8 threads, i had a FX 8320 @ 5.2GHz before switching to Intel Core i7 4790K @ 5GHz. It's no doubt after the law suite they had to have the operating system detect it as 4C 8T and as such Chinebench now detects it as 4C 8T.

Aura89 likes this.