GPU Crashing - Partial black flickering before it happens

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by nevernamed, Oct 11, 2019.

1. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    Vapor-x R9 290X 8GB / i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz 24 GB ram

I cannot figure out what is going on. This is an issue I've been dealing with for about 2 months.. I thought it was related to drivers, so I reverted back to my last good set, not the issue.
    I thought it was my PSU. replaced it with a new one.. not the issue

I keep coming back to thinking this is a driver conflict of some sort.. But I can't figure out what is causing it.

Basically what happens is, my PC will do a hard crash when gaming, sometimes watching youtube or using chrome.. I always know when it will happen, because parts of my screen will black out in a flicker, and then it usually is followed up by a crash if I could something or keep doing what I'm doing.. I can play a round of PUBG, no problem, sit in the menu, and when I start my next game, a lot of the time, I'll get a hard freeze when it switches loading screens... The PC will freeze, the sound will buzz and I'm forced to reboot.

I've tried dropping my CPU over clock, tested my memory, tried no OC on the gpu, tried not using afterburner. it doesn't seem to matter.. Sometimes its totally usable for a week, and i'll sit down and use it and it freezes when I use it. (again, during full screen youtube sometimes, but more likely during a game, but never at full load, usually when something changes IE : main menu to loading screen or back to game).

I did have a problem for a day where it would do the same things just after logging in. after a few DDU's and reinstalls I haven't seen that..

I also started to wonder if my span wall paper was the issue, since one screen is off the intel graphics, and the other is off the GPU, and the GPU is at 75 hz for display... that was a change I made when all this started, so I changed it back to the way it was.. I was able to play a couple rounds of PUBG.. Still had a hard freeze though, but it happened when I hit tab to bring up my inventory.. same type of freeze, everything locks up, buzzing sound.

I'm running out of ideas.. I don't want to throw money at this. the card isn't overheating I changed thermal paste in july and it runs no higher than 73 degrees. The fact that I can game with it and the freezes are random, or from silly things like bringing up inventory has me believing something else is going on.......

I also have wattman disabled...
    to add.. I also read Icue had caused problems like this (corsair keyboard/mouse software). i tried removing that and the issue persisted..

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Card is failing?

nevernamed likes this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    GPU Thermal conductivity or VRAM ?

nevernamed likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I think its time you step up to RX5700. ;)

SpajdrEX and nevernamed like this.

5. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    i dunno. i wonder that, but then it seems everytime it crashes, its directly related to me going full screen, or starting another game up, or hitting something. its never while i'm sitting back and watching..

6. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    too much money in canada, but one day.. i'm just not sure its the card thats the problem. without drivers installed it never has issues

7. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    meaning paste? i just changed that in july.. temps don't get high at all. i question if its VRAM, but how can i test that?

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess you cleaned the rad of the graphics card too when you replaced TIM so that's out of the question.
    No idea how to test this... sure you could try to bake your graphics card and see if it's some solder losening / cracking, try another PCI slot with the graphics card (is it sagging?). But eventually that's either a passing GPU or mainboard I'm afraid, since you removed all OCs too. I doubt it's RAM since RAM usually doesn't die.

nevernamed likes this.
  9. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    correct, blown her out thoroughly.. there is some sag, and i'm wondering if that COULD be the cause.. i had a very similar problem a few years ago, and it ended up being some kind of bug that was underpowering the card on bootup. I don't think thats happening this time. but the fact that it usually happens when i do something, makes me think it may not be hardware. i mean. why does it work for hours and weeks sometimes, and others not even 5 minutes. its strange..

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    Is this happening after you have been afk and your monitor went in power saver mode?

11. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    nope. i dont use powersaver. but what could happen, is i could load PUBG play a round for 40 minutes.. sit at the main menu for an hour or two after (main menu still uses gpu 100% and pushes it HARD).. but the moment I click start, that would be when it might happen. or if it doesn't. it might happen in the transition into or out of the loading screen........ or like the other day. i got back into the game a second time. played for a bit. and the moment i hit tab to bring up inventory, hard freeze.. there seems to be no reason for it. its not under any particular load. its not even something you can get to repeat itself unless you play a round and try another after. thats when it might happen.... but then theres been times where it would literally screw up upon bootup (that only happened 1 day and a few boots in a row until i reinstalled drivers).. i have not experimented with the onboard intel gpu disabled yet. i still need to rule that out, but it seems turning off my spanning wallpaper might have helped it. so thats why i'm thinking something weird is up

in fact, even in the past when this first started, games like battlefield 1, totally fine, until you go back to the menu and try to start another game. i would think if the card was failing it would fail more consistently, show artifacts, etc

12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    See:

nevernamed likes this.
  13. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    What event log says? Reinstall Windows. Try sfc /scannow or/and dism commands

nevernamed likes this.
  14. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    never mind

Reinstall windows 10 1903

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  15. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    always kernel 40, because its a sudden freeze, no logs.. scannow is clean, i had to do a repair with dism command when it first started, but it did not correct.

16. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    you think that its windows?? i was wondering if an update might have happened around then. seems it was close

17. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    today, gamed in battlefield 1 for a few rounds. had a crash to desktop.. when i hit the start button out goes gpu1...... thats the kind of weird stuff i'm experiencing

18. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Did you try to lower the core and memory clock speeds to the default R9 290X specs? Maybe the factory overclock is not stable anymore due to age.

nevernamed likes this.
  19. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    i have tried before and it seemed to crash still.. today i decided to pull the card out, blow it out again and the pci slots as well. reseated it, made sure it was in properly and tightened it back up.. played 15 rounds of PUBG with no problem.. with overclock on core, and memory at default.. gonna try memory back at my typical overclock (just slightly faster) and see if the problems come back..

20. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    You have that bios switch on that gpu?

nevernamed likes this.