Sony PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I read this as an excuse to not hit that promised 4K/60.

2. There will be no RTX HW or SW support. RTX is NVIDIA's buzzword for their in-house take on DXR or let's say ray-tracing implementation. PS5 will have support for ray-tracing, but we don't know what kind yet.

3. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    ^ yes I don’t know why I wrote in my previous posts RTX , I meant ray-tracing, just had in my head the Nvidia named “technology “ :D

Deleted member 164252 likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    RTX is an nvidia technology set, AMD's RT might have a different name.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    oh i am pretty sure its do to my jaw issues TMJ or what the hell it is, tinnitus not related to TMJ tend to be cause nerve damage and cells dying, which lead to hearing lose. I know my hearing is fine cause I can hear everything include coil whine from random power adapters 50+ feet away from another room, I can even hear the tones that change from leds lights that blink on and off from that far away. I Could hear the charging on the rechargeable vacuum cause it blink ever 5 seconds connected to the charger 50feet away and in another room I could hear coilwhine tone form it when the light was on and when it off I went away, it took my 5+ months to figure out where it that was coming from. by that point I was so annoying I threw it out the window from 2 floor house to the street.

hence to me coilwhine is like huge no go not happen thing. I just cant cope with that stuff which why my pc dont have and part that ever did got rma to returned. I would be happier person if that stuff didnt drive me crazy forget about the OCD on top of it.

AS for the ps5 I saw it was official announced? no set date and no set price as of yet, MS/Sony system seem similar speced? except Sony is based on ryzen and MS is based on zen 2? I see Sony announced ds5 wont use forcefeed back but haptics feed back instead? I wonder if there gonna slap more led lights on the controller with out the function to turn those lights off. cause yah that is not something I like for above reason and other reasons.

Fact it will play ps4 games only better is great selling point to me. I just hope it not 599 and I really hope the fix/solve the coilwhine issue.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  6. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I think they might release different spec consoles at launch maybe one without blu Ray, and some with different sized ssd drive sizes, covers more fan base also I think the blu Ray will take 100gig disks.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    sony doesn't do that, drive size maybe but entire spec changes are too much effort and money sink.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there only gona do diffrent SSD size, even then I think 2tb need be the min size used, 1 TB is no longer good enough.

9. @tsunami231
    I couldn't agree more regarding the backwards compatibility aspect.
    - Optical BluRay drive (PS4 games etc)
    - Continued support of Sony VR games/hardware
    - Sony PS4 Camera (?)

Some information has been confirmed as official by Mark Cerny in interviews, basic specs release date etc, the rest "basic overview" data sort to say...
    - 7nm Zen 2 eight-core cpu - no announced operating frequency as of yet
    - Navi based gpu - from what Mark Cerny has given, a derivative of Navi-20
    - Ray Tracing support - to what specificity Sony has not given
    -
    Holiday 2020 release date
    - No price point as of yet
    - USB-C - DS5 will be USB-C, include an upgraded speaker, support Haptic feedback (simulating the sense of touch)
    - Solid State - Using 100GB Bluray Discs, games will install on an internal SSD, no confirmation on Interface or Form-Factor yet.
    -
    Onboard 3D Audio processor - No external hardware required, Integrated with PS5's Ryzen Chipset according to Mark Cerny

sources:

PS5 release date announced: price, controller, games, specs, haptic feedback and everything else about new PlayStation - inews

What do the PS5's specs tell us about the future of PlayStation versus Xbox? - WIRED
    Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5 - WIRED

@Astyanax
    I'm guessing as DX would never get licensed outside of the MS ecosystem; Sony will either go the unlikely route of engine compute-shader based raytracing (very limited in nature - but works) or will/is in the process of developing tracing extensions for Gnmx and or whatever Sony may be replacing it with.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2019
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Sony's overhauling their Devkits for Vulkan, they were based around OpenGL, with hardware specific minigl like drivers.

11. Thank god...

After digging around Radeon Rays 2.0's SDK at https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/RadeonRays_SDK and reading the following, https://www.golem.de/news/computerg...ltra-settings-im-grafikmenue-1803-133464.html & https://wccftech.com/amds-open-source-vulkan-ray-tracing-engine-debuting-in-games-this-year/

Apparently - Radeon Rays 2.0 can be implemented for use with consumer GPUs in video games to do real-time raytracing on Vulkan. Hmmph. Good for them.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Interesting maybe vulkan will get used more on pc's? atlest in pc ports of console games? DX12 is hw dependent vulkan is not last I looked less something changed when I wasnt looking. Ray tracing part looks to be hardware dependent though.

Honestly i not interested in ray tracing its just a PR word/tech. like 4k and 8k to sell things. we are still years off from 4k@60 fps let lone 8k or real ray tracing that dont decimate performance

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  13. Yeah, Sony doesn't want to be left out. Control demonstrated what can be achieved in spite of it - RT isn't needed like some would make seem. It's extremely resource intensive at present, a problem.
    I don't doubt it! I'm really excited about this too considering the performance and flexibility of Vulkan concerning cross-platform/configurations. With more Studios, AMD, and SONY all adding input into the API, it can only make things better when porting to PC. Considering X86, the Zen 2 micro architecture - I foresee Ryzen owners indirectly benefiting from the new line of consoles.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Monkey see monkey do, this kind behavior is double edged sword depending on what the monkey is seeing and there for doing :p

I all for new tech and functions, but if it is destroy performance on magnitude RT does it not ready, I dont even think AO when first came out was that bad in that regard. it was altest 3-4 years before it became irrelevant performance hit wise. now days AO has about as much hit to performance as AF.

but that is all what ever at this point. Sony had me sold on ps5 moment they said ps4 games will run out the box and even better. if they fix the Coil whine issue and makes systems with 2tb drive standard and ability to turn off any light bar crap they leave on DS5 design, I be a happy camper.

And if this kicks off support for vulkan which results in better pc ports all the better. I really do want just stop with PC gaming cause just getting to complicated and expensive to keep up with hw wise. Soon as the give us the ability to play all our games from gen to gen on new system with better performance going forward no if ands or buts, like I can take my steam/pc collection from system to system. consoles will be only thing I look at.

I just dont want to play games on keyboard or mouse anymore Shooters are about only exception to that. Gamepad all the way for these days in comfortable seat on big screen, not at desk where is get uncomfortable

15. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim

16. I heard monkeys are attracted to "shiny" objects & DX-R is shiny... :cool:

I tend to agree unless Sony/AMD have developed otherwise. DirectX tends to carry more overhead traditionally. I wonder how efficient AMD's implementation of (Radeon Rays/Vulkan) is applied to a game engine / real-time / hardware assist. The only "Baseline" we have for real-world scenarios thus far is RTX / DX-R which sucks at efficiency. Comparatively compute shaders & Nvidia's Vulkan realtime raytracing extensions have already demonstrated more efficiency. Nvidia got people thinking though. They planted a concept "hey let's apply this with games"? I think thus far it's started a healthy development process.

You make a good point. HBAO/AO/SSAO etc all had very hard hitting costs to hardware at release, look at them now. The point being I do recall seeing them release for example, like one or two games had HBAO, then poof nothing for a while - then back again; but by then optimized (hardware/software) & no major cost to resources thankfully, they went back to formula and matured the technology I suppose.

(reg. PS4 Pro) The coil whine has had me stumped - so I did some digging and checked my system, a refurbished CUH 7000 - against what I could find on Google. Reddit posts, tech threads etc, reviews. Apparently out of CUH-7000 series/CUH-7100 series/CUH-7200 series the best results have been outliers from the original CUH 7000s reg. coil whine & some 7200s. However the fans run higher on the original 7000 due to their profile than the 7200 apparently. (something a simple system update could resolve methinks - oh well)

After many revisions SONY should hire a renowned power-supply OEM to consult on this. Get a "second set of eyes" on their layout, the VRMs, Caps - everything on their board responsible for regulating/controlling current. At this point - since the last known rev. came out and exhibited coil whine (CUH-7215B) it's unresolved. That some consoles shipped without it makes me guess shitty QA or none at all regarding transformers/inductors in their system.

I'm not intimate with PS4 Pro's internal layout. For sake of analogy - let's say PS4 Pro has capacitors into/onto/alongside it. The unit would sooner stop working than coil whine be attributable. That brings me to inductors. I'm assuming SONY has taken the cost-effective route; two caveats. One - generally most OEMs apply dampening material to reduce vibrations in the coils; a band-aid (we'll get to that). Second - investing in quality coils negates the need for any dampening & greatly reduces the rate of any coil whine. (inductors/transistors have physical coils)

EDIT: From CUH 7000 to 7200 SONY did change the aforementioned (the PSU schema) - some reported persisting issues; others reported resolved. It's difficult to say as coil whine can also be mistaken for other things as well.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Can you please just link the Wired article and NOT the annoying youtube channel that is using the wired article as an excuse to exercise their vocal chords because they (for some unknown reason) love the sound of their own insipid voices.

Goddam clickbait in Guru3D forums needs to end.

ORIGINAL ARTICLE

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    My PS4Pr0 is whisper-quiet, using the latest (last?) variant of console: CUH-7216B (aka: Red Dead Redemption Bundle EU/NA-PRO edition)

I also have an SSD running inside it, making it (probably) the best PRO version currently in existence.

19. That's the consensus in press PlayStation 4 Pro CUH-7200 review: the latest, quietest hardware revision - Richard Leadbetter, Eurogamer Could the stock HDDs have been that audible? (slow sure) SONY did change the power supply in the CUH-7216B unit; It's possible that reduced "whine" for many/most recipients. Reports still persist:
    CUH 7216B insane coil whine - reddit
    Finally tested CUH-7216B - reddit
    PS4 Pro 7216b Quality Control (cof Coil Whine) - reddit
    PS4 PRO insane coil/whine and fan noise - GURU3D

additional press:
    Sony’s new PS4 Pro quietly fixes its noise problems - Jon Porter, The Verge

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Some 'unlucky' people out there for sure - but all I can say is running RDR2, Wipeout, GOW, HZD, playing discs, using it as a netflix streaming device w/e for hours on end, there is NO NOISE coming out of it at all, in any way, whatsoever. Zero.

As an aside, Digital Foundry are deeply anti-playstation and I would simply ignore their biased-reporting and just see it as what it is: biased reporting. Their snide remarks are just horrific and soooooo passive-agressive that the comments would not be out of place in a bingo-hall by senior citizens.

As I am here in/on a guru3d forum, I can easily ask other gurus whether they would give much value in a 'journalist' who claims to 'test' the SSD read speed of the PS4, by using the cheapest, nastiest SSD on the market, that even the manufacturer had replaced six months prior to its release? Much value? probably not. Every time there is a chance to do any comparison of anything on a PS4, they will always take a dump on it, and like I said; use passive agressive language against it.

They are jokers.