PC version Call of Duty: Modern Warfare requires 175 GB of storage

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 10, 2019.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Doom is an ID Tech engine game, texture streaming can definitely be an issue. Look at Rage too and see how bad it is lol.

airbud7 likes this.
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    I'd be impressed too...
    Just hard-disks I'm afraid.

... but, there's a 1TB Crucial MX1000 SATA drive as cache and that pretty much covers everything I'm currently doing with the files on that big array. For all intents and purposes it behaves like a 76 TB Sata 600 SSD.
    (Might move to NVME caching soon for ever crazier speeds... but that... next build)

But anyway, 175GB for a game is nothing in 2019-2020.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    never played rage or the 2nd once didnt like what I saw in trailers heard was bad games too. Games are getting huge. HDD's barely pushing 5tb and really not best of idea to game on HDD anymore due to the game size, new console are gonna be using SSD and they 100$ per TB and that usual only when on sale or those off brands. Sony is using "specialty" SSD dont know about MS but these new system better come standard with 2tb SSD or more consider how much they really pushing for Digital over physical.

I mean Nioh is by no mean beautiful game and all its dlc the game weight in at over 75gb, FFXV and all it dlc weights in at over 120gb and while that look nicer then Nioh I still dont see why it that much space needed, short of dev's using uncompressed audio as mean to say hey look at huge space is needed.

imo that is huge amount for game that looks like CoD game's look which to say they never been bleeding edge graphics. which I was wondering if there using nothing but uncompressed audio files

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  4. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    for most game, with current engine, u wont getting much shutter/lag for loading up game data
    look at console, they still even using BD disc which is much worse than HDD, yet for most game only effect initial load time

most of time, current engine handle the cache swap on background (this when u might seeing some shutter) ... so yeah, it will just play fine with HDD

people have OCD with game shutter, they can go with SSD
    but i personally have more shutter issue caused by GPU.driver related than storage-speed ... its like 80+%, so imo playing game with SSD wont guarantee u will be shutter/lag free either

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    1tb HDD are really cheap now but it's only a bit extra for 2tb HDD so i wouldn't bother with 1tb anymore, 1 tb can get filled pretty quickly.

6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Games are constantly getting bigger. Pretty soon we'll have games that exceed half a terabyte for the base game and 1 TB drives will be a minimum (I'm guessing in the next two to three years). My current 1 TB SSD is about 3/4 full with only a handful of games on it - I'm going to need to shop for a bigger one soon.

7. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    in term of graphical + sound quality, SquareEnix is far beyond KoeiTecmo (not necessarily they are producing better game though)
    in your display/eyes probably the graphic dont have much different
    but if look at those data texture u will know the quality difference, those detail they added in texture
    for sound ffxv is dolby atmos (5.1ch) which probably add up another data size

if u want simple, first just compare the size FFXV with and without 4k texture
    iirc ffxv with standard/default-texture is around 80GB ... with 4k texture is 155GB
    high-res texture really eat up size pretty quick

now people asking for better graphic yet, complaining about game size ?

8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    You know, when I built my Ryzen rig, I had believed that having a 4TB + 2TB SSD combo was enough. Looking at all these newer games and the crazy amount of space required, I am glad I had the foresight to include a 6TB WD Black HDD as well.

9. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Don't be too sure about your foresight: soon enough, the greedy producers ("developers" joined into a cartel together with hardware makers) will not insist on a "minimum required storage space" only - they will require you to have an SSD with such and such specs, under the pretense of avoiding possible bottlenecks etc. etc. ...

10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    SSD's are great for an operating system, but who the hell doesn't install games on an HDD? I've got nearly 100 games installed on my 5 year old 2tb Sata 6.0 hard drive and have never experienced slow downs or texture problems.

airbud7 likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if its over 4GB, its going on an ssd is my new philosophy.

12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Looks like its time to buy more spinning rust, good grief.

13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    They make a noticeable difference in loading times - I've done direct comparisons. It's why I bought a 1 TB SSD specifically to install games on (my 4 TB HDD is only for movies or infrequently accessed files).

airbud7 likes this.
  14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    While this is true^ I personally have no problem waiting 20 seconds for the game to load to ram...

if the game is good enough it'll last for hours anyway no?

jbscotchman likes this.
  15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I install games on both hard drive and ssd depending on if the game really benefits from being on an ssd or not, games that stream data while playing the game for example I would put on ssd, and with games that load the "level" at the beginning I would put on hard drive as the few seconds extra wait compared to if it was on ssd doesn't bother me.

When I first learned of this news regarding game size I was like yeah I'm skipping that, but only just realized I would have skipped it anyway because Call of Duty is no longer released on Steam..... ohh well.

Think I'll just install this instead: https://store.steampowered.com/app/7940/Call_of_Duty_4_Modern_Warfare/

user1 likes this.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I never said FFX look bad to me I said it graphics didnt justify it size and its size 100gb + on ps4 with all dlc. When I seen games that have such huge space requires I wonder how much of that from uncompressed audio or CG cut scenes. and maojrity of the time it comes from that and not actual textures.

FF7 back when it was released would of easily fit on 1 disc its all the Cut scene and audio that bloated is size to 3 disc, and the remake of FF7 once completely done all parts release will blow this 175gb out of the water with everything installed, and FF7 Remake graphics loo like bleeding edge graphics I my sure it will nothing but uncompressed audio too to go with the cg cut scenes.

17. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    This is how you push people to only consoles. First allow keyboard and mouse playback, crossplay, and make the pc have higher system requirements than the ps4's internals. I am seriously playing this game on a ps4 pro with kb and mouse. My PC has a 1050ti and played everything else fine.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Why? You can uninstall games to free space, just like on consoles. And you can buy more storage, just like on consoles. SSD's are cheap, HDD's even cheaper. There's a bunch of things that would push me away from PC gaming, but having better quality games and higher framerate, using more storage isn't one of them.

19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Games I have migrated over from a mechanical HDD to SSD I generally notice being significantly faster loading. Not all games are that dramatic, but I think the big games that load larger, wrapped files rather than a bunch of tiny files are the ones that really speed up. My newest, a 2TB NVME, doesn't really feel dramatically faster in load times than my normal SSDs have but they've gotten so cheap at 1TB/2TB, I figured, why not get one?

20. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    At least you can go into most games files and delete language packs and useless stuff like .net/dx and other stuff. But i learned the hard way that some games stop working if you remove any files.

Some games have like 5 languages but others have like 16 or something totally useless data that we are forced into installing.