PC version Call of Duty: Modern Warfare requires 175 GB of storage

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 10, 2019.

1. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Yep... the amount of times i have fired up Origin to have a quick blast of Battlefield or Starwars Battlefront and it tells me both games have updates that MUST be installed first and each one is at least 60GB and will take an hour at least.

Silva likes this.
  2. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    The lazier people get and using lazier, easier methods to do things, the bigger the storage gets. This has been happening for 30 years... in Commodore 64 days... they had to create a few 16x16 16 colour tiles and then manually build entire maps from combinations of tiles. As time went on the tiles just got bigger and more numerous, and more colours... and less often re-used, until we get to the lazy-ass situation of today where they just say frack it... take loads of high resolution use-once pictures and frack them all over gigantic maps and make it look real as quick as possible.. and frack users and their storage or download bandwidth.

schmidtbag and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Merciless, bloodthirsty bullies, brutish invaders etc. provoke my anger and revolt. On the other hand, Quisling and similar servile, mice-people is what makes me wanna puke. Oh, yes - forgot to mention trolls/bots, "installed" to downplay and "soften" any criticism...

4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Even if you are a lazy developer (not counting the thousands of hours you save with those practices, because companies don't care about you as a dev but the end result), there is no excuse not to use better methods of compiling and compressing.
    Why would anyone use FLAC, ever, for a downloadable? 320kbs mp3 is 99% as good and the end user with their 5€ earphones won't notice any difference.
    Also, why not chose the download language and spare dozens of GB?
    And the cherry on top: why not make 4K a special free bonus, downloaded separately? I'm going to be gaming at 1080p for the next 10 years, probably...

geogan likes this.

5. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Geez, do you even manage to download and play ANY games with net that slow? Mine is really slow, relatively: 6MB/s but I download big games in a few hours at most, if it's going to be more than 3 hours I just do it while I sleep :)

6. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Large games? I physically take my PC to a friends house and download there (and enjoy playing some party games) or take a hard drive our of my PC and take it over :D Otherwise, download overnight. Our street doesn't have cable or fibre and so stuck on ADSL which at best can manage 4mbps but averages around 3mbps or 360KB/s... It's so frustrating.because the street just 50 meters away does have cable and/or fibre...

I really wish PC games were still sold on physical media for this reason too but sadly I'm in a minority in this regard (I even have a bluray drive too).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Suddenly my 512GB SSD feels tiny and insignificant...

XenthorX likes this.
  8. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Next to textures a lot of storage will probably be used by using uncompressed audio. I don't really see any reason to put uncompressed audio into a game since the majority is using an audio setup where the difference between uncompressed and half decent compression won't be heard anyways. :confused:

Embra likes this.
  9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Hey guys, do I have enough space to install this game or I need a bigger drive?

[​IMG]

XenthorX likes this.
  10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I'd be impressed if that's actually 76.4 TB of SSD Storage.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    175GB for the same boring ass gameplay they had 10 years ago.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    They have a raytracing now (which i didnt see a single gameplay yet that shows off the effect) only MP crap.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You know, with storage being so cheap not sure how this is an issue. I mean you can get a 1tb drive for about $40.

We're in a time where we are seeing video cards with 8gb as the standard, and cards being shipped with up to 16gb and being used. I don't see why anyone is surprised. Halo 5 base on the Xbox One is about 100gb, and that game is going on 3 years I believe.

Fender178 and airbud7 like this.
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    When we talk storage people mean SSD not HDD. Do you really want your games on a hard drive?

15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So in general testing on sata 3 HDD to an ssd, your gameplay is going to be pretty much the same for performance, your only difference is load times and even then most load times are not going to drastically change. Hell, even and NVME drive you won't notice a massive difference in load times in games. That being said, even SSD's are starting to reach a lower price point. 1tb SSDs can be found for $90 if you really want to spend the extra money. Hell, even going from a HDD to NVME in games you will virtually notice no difference.

jbscotchman likes this.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I do...only load times to ram will matter...

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Idk man im trying to avoid texture popin, stuttering and slow loading times. Even if you have enough ram/vram there is still stuff game is pulling from your drive as you go.

18. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    There are of course exceptions to this, but most game engines are pretty good with this issue. ID Tech games I know are kind of bad for this, UE3 games were pretty bad, and some UE4 games can have this issue. Usually though this is why I tell people if they are going to get an HDD for gaming, get one with at least 64 mb of cache. This helps a lot, or use SSD caching.

airbud7 likes this.
  19. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    More storage is an issue in that one may need to buy more storage and then buy the game to play.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That is alot GB's needed for game that look they way that does are they using nothing but uncompressed audio files or something?

I dont know if this same issue but Doom (2016) has some horrid texture loading weapon changing and bunch of texture loading on character and monster that you see in cut scenes. its actual really annoying consider how smooth the gameplays