Getting an old HDD to boot on a new PC...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by miffy wiffy, Oct 9, 2019.

1. miffy wiffy

miffy wiffy Active Member

GPU:
    I have a work PC that died and ran XP, however it’s important to run the machine we have. I put the HDD into a “new” PC that works, however it just blue screens on the XP loading bar screen. I tried it in another PC and it does the same, but it boots properly on the broken PC.

Is there any ways to get it to boot? If not is it possible to run it in a virtual machine somehow?

Thanks.

The company that made the software went bust, we have no installer, and it doesn’t working simply just dragging the folder over to a new PC.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  3. miffy wiffy

GPU:
    Tried all this, still not booting.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes you can,

whats probably the issue is a conflict with the ACPI uniprocessor driver on the machine - ie, can't boot APIC on a vm or machine only configured to PIC, or use the standard ide driver on a compute or vm configured with an AHCI sata host.

knowing the exact crash code would help.

also i just realised that thread linked is missing pictures it used to have

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme..._your_board_without_so_much_as_a_reinstall.7z

Heres a 7z of the original page saved over 10 years ago

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  6. Sometimes you gotta do a repair install to get it working right on a new system. Clone it, then boot from windows xp disc and do repair install. it will leave your software alone and just redo the windows stuff. used to do it all the time for a company with the same situation, and we migrated it that way every time they upgraded hardware. In xp you can do repair install (in-place upgrade) from the boot media instead of having to start it from in windows.

7. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    The solution is to boot the drive on the new pc using cdrom from the macrium reflect rescue cd created in advance, once in that environment, simply choose "redeploy on different hardware" and the software will make adjustments to the install in offline mode to suit the new hardware. Done!

8. miffy wiffy

GPU:
    Cannot even try the XP CD as it crashes when trying to read it in recovery lol.

9. What is the stop error you get when it crashes? might try chkdsk /r to see if you have disk errors (using recovery console). What is wrong with the original system? You say it boots fine in it in your first post? If it boots, it can't be that broken......might be worth just getting the parts to fix it. Even if they are used, if you get direct replacements, should be an easy fix.

10. miffy wiffy

GPU:
    It goes to blue screen, but it flashes and just resets.... so I cannot see it in time.

Just so weird, tried everything on it. My only other option is to get this program to work without installing it. However if I drag and drop the folders, it complains it cannot find .dlls and says error 53 and some other errors.
    I tried manually installing the .dlls, but it errors out when I try to install them using regsvr or whatever it was I had to do.

Bit stuck really, a new machine is 50K + and it’s from the 70s, so I cannot just update the system the software talks to and get new software.

11. So what is wrong with the original system? You say
    , so what is the issue with the original, broken pc? Need more info bro. If hard drive and data on drive are in good shape, then anything else in the system is a very simple fix or replacement.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  12. miffy wiffy

GPU:
    It has like 10 things wrong with it, that have hacked like different solutions. However the main problem now is the onboard Video has gone corrupt, so slowly we’re getting more and more lines on the screen.... now you can barely see anything.

It needs to go, just hoped I could put the system into another PC. The new PC is only 2 years after that one, similar motherboards, tried to go all intel like the older one.... a still not working. The broken PC even uses Sata.... but no :/

Maybe I’ll try and see if it boots from USB, but even if it did, how would I get it to an internal drive? Though I doubt it would work.

13. So replace the motherboard......if this is mission critical then getting that system back up and running is your easiest and most likely to work fix (for video, could also stick a cheap video card in it). The only way i have ever gotten XP to run proper after a total hardware transplant, without a reformat, (other than the occasional sheer luck case) is by doing a repair install.....i've done it a bunch, it works. I've been through that exact scenario with many customers (older/expensive software that cannot be re-installed for one reason or another)......often times the best solution is just to fix it and get it back up and running. Could even upgrade it a bit......won't be very expensive at all on an older system. Gently used/New older parts can be had for next to nothing in most cases. Need to make a clone image of the drive first and foremost, so you can go back to square one......just in case. Get the motherboard part number, and order an exact replacement. Absolutely cheaper than downtime.

14. miffy wiffy

GPU:
    I tried a repair install, however the PC resets just reading the HDD when it boots from the CD, so that’s not possible.

I would buy a new Mobo if I could find the exact one, but then what happens in future if something fails.

Hoping for a permanent solution.

Cannot stick a GPU in as the slot died. It says Serial ATA-300 for the sata controller, same intel as the one im putting it in :/

Oh well, starting to think If I put it in the the same model motherboard, it would crash lol.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Have you tried a VM? I think VMware has a tool that convert a native OS install into a VM image. Try booting from your normal disk on the new PC and only have the XP HD as another drive and try to convert it into a VM.

anticupidon likes this.

16. they are both sata, but not same chipset (clearly).....all expansion slots dead? Pci video cards can be had too. Yeah, you are going to have to come up with a permanent solution, but a mobo would buy you some time. What is the computer? is it a custom one or an OEM computer. I would be happy to assist finding parts.

VMware vCenter Converter is what he is suggesting, and it isn't a bad option......but i would still think that getting the thing up and running again would buy you more time to come up with permanent solution.

17. miffy wiffy

GPU:
    I tried VM too, just goes to a black screen where it would have blue screened.

18. In which system? You booted to your new system, with the old hdd installed as a secondary (non-boot) drive, then used VCenter Converter to create a working VM from the old HDD? Because i am pretty sure that would work. I know that the repair install will work, assuming that your bios is set right and the hardware is all functional (again, done it many times on many configs). Anyways, it sounds like fixing old system is the best solution. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but without me having both comps in front of me, i can't really tell where the problems you are having are at. I bet we can find a board, and if not, i can recommend someone to send it to that can repair the board.

anticupidon likes this.
  19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No, you can`t. Only on the same hardware. XP Plug`N`Pray was not so flexible.

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Did you just boot the HD in a VM, or did you use a physical-to-VM conversion tool?