Still running Windows 10 1803?: Microsoft warns about ending support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Enterprise24

Enterprise24 Active Member

GPU:
    1080Ti FTW3 S2716DG
    Even a 10 years support on LTSB / LTSC is not a great solution. Some games (UWP) / programs (many) / hardware (Turing) will force you to new OS build.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there is no good solution. people been tell for years before I got iphone that there OS updates break things, and quite often but from point of view since I got iphone and ipad, those OS update 10to 11 to 12 etc work and break next to nothing comparison to windows 10 build upgrade

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    19H2 not there for me either yet, thought it might have been today, seen as its Patch Tuesday, but just got the Malicious Software Removal Tool, and another cumulative one (KB4517389), which went in fine, no broken Start Bar, nowt :p

https://pureinfotech.com/windows-10-1909-19h2-release-date/

4. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    yet even now most(if not all) of UWP/software everything run just fine with windows7

in windows enviroment, other than *probably microsoft own software, what really forcing to use latest build of windows ? u should list some of it, if u have
    also hardware is not related with windows build, as it have its own driver and so-far its not like windows7-8.1-10 driver version situation.. well not yet... windows10 driver works on any build cmiiw

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Why?

It works just fine here.

6. wizyy

wizyy Guest

GPU:
    RX 470 4GB
    "The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is on its way. We're offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn't quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you'll see the update available on this page. There's nothing you need to do at this time."
    "My device" is a desktop PC with i5 3570K CPU and GTX 1080Ti GPU.
    The reason that still "isn't quite ready" is most likely the ole' Soundblaster X-FI PCI card which works perfectly well under version 1803, probably not at all in newer Windows 10 versions.

7. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    1903 has been the most and in fact only problematic update for me. When I installed it the very day it got officially released, I got bluescreens and program crashes. I rolled back, waited like a month and after that it has been usable. I don't necessarily recommend to update if you have stable system right know.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Who can list all the win10 versions they had since using it?

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Have been dual-booting for years, but every man has his limits and now I only run Linux.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if I could wrap my mind around how linux works and I would switch years ago, at this point I just want what is simpler to get my games working. and windows 10 is that so long as i dont have to play "lets" clean install a new build everything 6 month cause something gonna and got fubar by there build updates. I know people that switch all the pc to linux just so there other "half" and kids cant screw the pc's up cause they only one that know how to use it. and they wont touch any pc that based on windows for them even if they messed it up, there pc's are safe though.

my opinion is simple 99% of everyone need to be on iOS way harder to screw up then windows. then again if that happen iOS will be the one that has all virus and malware made for it and it will be come easier to mess up haha.

11. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    had the same trouble, due to this crap win 10 i could not update net framework - this led to the loss of amd game rewards. frack win10. :mad:

I do not often loose my rag, but win 10 has been a pain in the butt

12. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    We're sick of their false warnings, false patches, false ''efforts", true sleaziness in terms of licking the footprints of every american spy agency out there...

13. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Yeah...

[​IMG]

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Me! :D

Only been using it for a couple of months, so its 1903 :p

15. Enterprise24

Enterprise24 Active Member

GPU:
    1080Ti FTW3 S2716DG
    I mean I still stay with 1080 Ti and LTSB but it is time bomb. Once 3000 series release I may upgrade to something better than 1080 Ti.
    Many UWP games and lastest Adobe products also need newer build.
    Considering that Pascal need 1607 minimum , Turing need 1709 minimum and 1809 for RTX , Ampere or whatever will need newer build for sure.

16. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I use the same, with the addition of the ms store.

Attempted to use win 10 pro recently on the same box and it was just broken, so many issues, but ltsc runs perfect.

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I believe i got Windows 10 when it was on 1511. Think i skipped 1703 and went from 1607 straight to 1709.

Currently on 1903.

The only issue i face sometimes is that the taskbar and start menu lock up. But i simply fix that by logging out and back in again. No idea what's causing it, could be a dirty windows install, but i can't be bothered to reinstall as everything else works flawless and it's not a daily issue.

All in all i'm a happy Windows 10 user.

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    upgraded to Windows 10 this past march...0 problems...Damn thing just worked....

I guess I just got lucky?

I do miss my old friend Windows 7 "best".....Windows 10 is Cool too...

Edit: Hey, sorry if ot but how do I turn off notifications?...
    ie: why does it tell me that I plugged in my headphones when I already know that?...weird I tell ya!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  19. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    Consider the historical, incrementally-numbered versions of Windows that Microsoft used to release in years past.

So, what would everyone estimate as to what version of Windows that 1903 would currently represent in such a progression, if we took into account all of the new, rewritten, and replaced code that has occurred since Windows 10 was first released?

In other words, are we about at Windows 12? Perhaps further along than that?

20. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    A lot easier not to break stuff when it's only limited combinations of hardware that's being upgraded. I think they should go to yearly updates as I think the speed that they're moving is the biggest problem.

21. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I'd argue we're at 4.x.

Nothing earth-shattering has happened since NT.

Sure there's DX, a plethora of new UIs and whatever but nothing that actually changes the base usage of the OS.