Sony PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I got the latest model, it's very quiet. I played cod mw beta and rdr2 so far and I never heard the fan ramping up.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^I envy you, i would love to play my pro enhanced games in cb4k but it is just not a option with the noise and it is now permanently set up on my older 1080p tv were i use it for just psvr stuff now, it still ramps up a bit with the likes of skyrim vr, but nothing to the levels of Knack and GOW, the best game the ps4 in my view and i had to finish it in normal 1080p.....i am still annoyed about that. Lol

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Fan noise people can deal with its the huge issue the ps4 pro has with coilwhine that alot people mistake for fan noise or the just cant hear the tones of coilwhine that issue this issue for alot people, less they have tv/stereo/headphones so loud you cant hear which if it that loud you probably cappable of kill ear cells.

I couldnt give damn about fan noise in the ps4 or the pro cause that I can ignore, but coil whine is so bad on pro even newest model that I said hell no I dont want after trying all the models to date in diffrent locations diffrent house and with and with out power conditioners or power surges and and they all suffer from it. some games ranging from it not bad to wtf how this even be aloud in to production like this. and we talking about pro games running in 1080p mode foget about if under 4k checkboard

Sony need to get that crap under control for ps5. ps4 and ps4 pro are the FIRST sony consoles I ever owned that had coilwhine and coil whine extent of wtf is that levels

XP-200 likes this.
  4. No coil whine issues here - owned a PS4; currently on my PS4 Pro. Two bad experiences does not a generation make. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Sony shipped some bad batches - likely a certain grouping with an SN prefix or ending etc.. had said problem but doubtful it was product defining. I'd had heard of it like the red ring of death with old Xbox's or another recall-worthy defect.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeah, i have seen others complaining about coil whine even on the newer models and also the slim, so i am somewhat grateful that it is only a shoddy fan and cooling effort that is in the GOW edition pro, as the coil whine would simply have been too much. Lol

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    two bad experiences?? i tried 5+ ps4 pro gont threw all there models and and they all suffer from it and that is over the coarse of a few years try so bad batches? I dont think so all pro suffer from it most people just cant tell the diffrence from coilwhine and fan noise. And everyone ever I ever point out the diffrence between the 2, instantly hated me for point it out them cause thew now know the difference and are annoyed buy it.

even my ps4 steady coil whine when it is off and most my friends ps4 had the whine in some way too and some games games like mgs tpp suffer from that coilwhine but on the ps4 it can be ignore compare to how bad it on the pro.

I fully believe they using low quality psu that barely adequate for the wattage used

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    serbicu likes this.
  8. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Nice! also from the article, it's confirmed that it will have hardware dedicated RTX, so nice as well. I wonder at what price will the console be sold at though.. :D

9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    probably cheaper then a new video card :p

Serotonin and serbicu like this.
  10. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Interesting talk by the Digital Foundry guys

11. Ok. Why be triggered? I don't "hate" you or - ? I had different experiences. Others disagreed with me. I may have lucked out and the majority has had trouble.

I don't go getting triggered brother. That's on you. It's a electronic black box... in the end it goes in the scrap pile.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Cause I have OCD about that stuff? I refuse to have coilwhine pc's and in all my years of making them for my self I had coilwhine be issue a handfull of times. and in each case a simple return or rma of affected part resolved the issue. Forget about they fact that coilwhine tend to play havoc with my tinnitus I have so every time the tone and frequency of whine changes it screw with noise I constantly hear from my tinnitus, Minor coilwhine you can barely hear is one thing but coilwhine the ps4 pro suffer from is anything but normal. in some games it so bad that it louder then the fans in jet engine mode and tv volume less you have it ridiculously high in first place.

But most people I talking to agree with ps4 pro has terrible coilwhine, and they say they just put there stereo on and ignore it which isnt solution. there are those that lucked out and got one few systems that dont suffer from it or maybe said person just cant hear coil whine tones or they just think it fan. and people that though it was fan were instantly shocked when I proved to them it was not the fan. at which point they became triggered by it cause they now knew it wasnt the fan.

Since ps4 pro has been replaced I been picking up pro atlest twice year from difference place and so far all the models released and they all been returned for reason of the coilwhine is horrid. I was at around 6 or 7 attempts before I stop counting. I want pro but not willing to suffer that whine noise. and it different from game to game, and parts of the game, in some it constant low whine it other is ridiculously bad. Like in infamous games it bearable, in MGS:TPP when main logo are up up loading it bad and the ingame menus it even worse. and I can even manipulated tone and frequency of said whine by just moving the camera when on the helicopter. Now i just wont bother I will just get ps5 when comes out and hope for the best.

The fact the ps5 will play ps4 games and faster and smooth, is big selling point to.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  13. I've seen all 3 revisions of PS4Pro and all have clearly audible coil whine. Variations were around 20% with the rev.2 being the worst. But honestly all of that is kinda pointless because the fan will be much more audible as soon as you start playing any PS4Pro optimized game.

IMHO all ps4s have coil whine. If anyone says otherwise, he just doesn't know what kind of sound he should be looking for.

14. Damn - alright, well shoot. Sorry to hear that. I really hope the PS5 reviews a hell of a lot better than the PS4/PS4 Pro.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah tinnitus and ocd is just horrible combo to have and I think getting older make said ocd worse well it also make tinnitus worse too, but end game to tinnitus is lose of hearing hah, would only wish it on the people I want to be tortured endlessly instead of them dying :p

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

16. Ah don't paint the devil on the wall? I've got it in the right ear on account of nerve damage; far as I've been told it won't deteriorate into hearing loss. Maybe yours won't either. Yeah, if I go out of the city into the country; late at night it's piercing - I could see myself wishing that on someone I wanted tortured too lol. Anyways' Here's to that PS5...

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    That is easy now at this point, but can you imagine the gap at the end of 2020, £500 for a new console, £900 for your basic Ampere RTX2060. lol

WhiteLightning likes this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah even today ps4 pro costs less than a turing 2060.

Nvidia really helping PC gaming.

Serotonin and XP-200 like this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no it won't.:rolleyes:

20. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    yes, you're wright :D, my bad, not hardware dedicated, but RTX acceleration in the GPU hardware solution, not a software one.