Raja Koduri hints at June 2020 Intel Xe graphics card launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Raja sure knows how to cook and now at Intels kitchen he is baking some exotic Xe GPUs!

3. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    In the US, some states still require annual registration stickers on the upper corners of the plate. He probably purchased the car in May or June of this year, hence June 2020 registration expiration tags.

4. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Better hope Xe performs well or the 'ThinkXe' license plate won't bring a positive memory.

Like a tattoo you regret the next day.

5. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    That's literally when his tag expires.... Hopefully these come to market sooner than later though, time to see some competition

6. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    Raja Koduri gets too much credit.
    Im my eyes, he knows he made a huge frack up and ran away with his tail between his legs. Then suddenly after he resigned he was hired instanly by Intel.
    Nothing to see here, move a long.

Kaarme and Dimitrios1983 like this.
  7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    He made GCN. Pretty much used from AMD for years. But what you're saying makes sense. If you're hired by another company, you resign from your previous company oof.

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    To me, this is not a positive. There has never been a time when GCN, no matter which version, was ever a good thing. It'd be the same as someone saying someone was important because they made Bulldozer.

Again, this is just my opinion, but i personally have never been enticed to potentially buy an AMD GPU in the entirety of GCNs tenure.

vbetts likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the last architecture Raja had any hand in was Terascale,

He left AMD in 2009 to work at Apple, before returning in 2013
    GCN was released in 2012, lead architect was Eric Demers who left Amd for qualcomm in 2012

Raja kept GCN on life support, it wasn't the architecture he would have wanted.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Kaarme and vbetts like this.
  10. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Got to agree with this. In fact the 5700XT is the first card from AMD i consider buying since the 5850 ... that was 10 years ago.

Aura89 and Deleted member 213629 like this.

11. Like others said, but just as a reference shot as shown below. Literally just when ya gotta re up your reg. in that particular state. Doesn't mean it isn't hinting at Intel's release date however

[​IMG]

Same here - was thinking of buying one as well due to the low price-point etc but the news regarding a apparent "Wattman" (if I'm saying that right) bug has me holding off

12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I'm waiting for more mature drivers too but i think my patience with my 1070 as reached its limit. I had to withdraw my overclock recently cause the card had become unstable after 2 years of being stable. So i'm stuck at ~stock speed now. And since i just bought a 1440p144 monitor man my 1070 is being hammered to death in newer titles.

I fear any card i would potentially buy now outside of a 2080 Super/Ti will be temporary. So i'm not spending 2070 Super kind of money for 1 year. 5700XT sounds like a more logical purchase while waiting for better and more affordable ray tracing/2k cards to hit the market.

13. @MonstroMart

I agree with you; it's that point where all these options 1650 etc 1660, ti on and on, are like placeholder cards for the hardcore gamer who instead needs something to function. GCN or Pascal - which was like Hell 2/2.5 almost 3 years - 3 years in some cases? Point being the market is so diversified and saturated with weak *crap* and overpriced crap that it leaves people with few solid options. Weak in the sense of the average resolution being 1080P to 2K at least & the average card not holding a steady 60 fps at medium-high/high with those variables.

Overpriced in the sense of the aforementioned issues I mentioned - you shell out a couple hundred to get something worse than console performance. Pathetic. Myself personally. I have a decent rig. GPU/2080/CPU R7 2700. I'm able to get by and afford building it, maintaining; this doesn't make the price/performance realities of the GPU market lost on me nor the performance of those parts either. I'm a system builder, I'm well aware of what these components put out/and where they draw the line.

They come too short of the expectations set by what the average gamer can receive with "High-Performance" visuals in a console scenario. That is part of the problem, dynamic resolution set aside. Optimization set aside. There shouldn't be a bar set by under par hardware like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, by which the PC market - in any sense need follow visually or performance wise. 1080p at 60fps. 4K gaming. These are standards that PCs had long before but they've become streamlined by another market & my point of contention is there's a difference from competition and over-saturating a market to the point that nothing in it gets properly developed and focused on as it should be. That's how I view the current gen of GPUs. A sad state of affairs.

If you haven't purchased yet; I'd wait for Navi-20..

14. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Thank god I'm not the only one that thinks this. Well said!

15. I do not doubt Intel's ability to create graphics chips, but all their previous attempts to get into graphics have been half-assed (and this has totally been discussed at length here before). I am just interested to see if it actually gets a real push from them this time. It certainly makes sense for them to have an in-house Compute/A.I. accelerator to pair up with their cpus , and i guess you might as well make gpu's out of the chips you don't/can't use for that.

As far as Raja goes.....come on man, its Intel. They said "name your price", he named it, and they doubled it. Everyone has a price, and they can afford it. If you are a chip designer, then I would imagine it doesn't get much bigger or better than working for Intel.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2019
    Dimitrios1983 likes this.

16. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Maybe.......just maybe.....

now hear me out....

he is going to run for president...

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    just make a console intel
    this way you can make a pos vga go around

18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Considering these two points, he returned to AMD to a situation where he had little money to use in R&D. He should have been one of those guys who can pull off miracles with slim resources. He obviously wasn't. It doesn't tell anything about his capabilities to produce results with Intel's Unlimited Budget Works, but it does reveal he's no outside the box thinking genius. Seeing how Intel itself was led by pure businessmen caring for nothing but maximum profit and the engineers were totally ignored for years, who knows if Koduri is the right man there either. Time will tell. If he succeeds at Intel, it's ironically all thanks to AMD that forced Intel to look around for the first time in years (and replace some of their technology hating leadership).

19. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I can't help it, but the name "Xe" is just the made up pronoun some delusional SJWs use :D

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hmm. I see what you mean, still would have never had that impression in the first place without your mentioning it.
    I guess that SJW stuff has sunken deep deep into your brain, regardless if you hate it or not. You should seek help.