Anyone use a UPS?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by insp1re2600, Oct 5, 2019.

1. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I use a couple of UPS on my network and was wondering if any of you guys use one too? Do you feel they are necessary these days? What UPS do you use and what software do you use with it?

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  2. Not necessary imo excluding critical systems you need shutdown securely to prevent data loss in the event of a black-out. Also can help with unstable grids that tend to "fluctuate" lights might flicker on and off but your system stays on/stable. Hence uninterruptible. Needs of the user sort of thing. CyberPower CP600LCD / PowerPanel Personal Edition

insp1re2600 likes this.
  3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    isn't that under powered for your system?

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Using the battery side of the UPS will give you conditioned voltage that is nice and clean.

5. Probably at full load... but I don't think I'm saturating close to 1,000 Watts - oddly enough the LCD states 70% usage with a PS4/Low-Profile Hackintosh/Monitor/My System all connected to it... so... I'm not sure... entirely how things work honestly since that alone confuses me. Far as how long it states it'd even last on Batt alone / like 7/8 min. Not long at all.

6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    i have a 2000va 1600w for two gaming rigs, and a smaller 480w ups for 2 nas drives a switch and the router. The 1600w ups just over 55%'ish full load with both rigs.

7. Hmm ... So ... I'm doing something wrong? Or can't upgrade my gaming rig further on my current UPS/would need to upgrade it if I'm grasping this since it'd bottleneck it? In a way?

8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    i'm not sure, dont know enough about the process, but i imagine a gaming rig overloading the ups may cause a problem.

9. I should admit it was bought on a dark summer's eve amidst a thunderstorm in an act of haste.... so.... that probably contributed to not doing as much research as I normally do plus Fry's Electronics is like a ghost town in my area ever since the Trade War started - least that is the literal explanation I got from a sales rep. "Everything in our stores is from China" There were like... enough UPS options to buy as the fingers of my right hand (luckily I have 5 fingers) anyways.

10. Skylinestar

Skylinestar Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Does pure sine wave matter? It costs double.

insp1re2600 likes this.

11. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    There's a difference. Some psu's don't like simulated and will have a coil whine correcting it,the difference is below.

[​IMG]

Devices expect the first, so will correct the second for it if simulated. For a rig, I'd always go pure, for smaller devices, not so much.

12. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I have about 5 I think.
    An Eaton 1500VA for the Main Gaming PC
    An MGE 850VA for the Modem/Router (Lasts 3 hours or so iirc)
    A small FSP 800VA for my Pi/clone setup (4 Boards)
    an MGE 650VA for switches.
    an old MGE 650VA with dual batteries for the TV Sat Boxes (3 of them) and TV Internet Box that came with the modem.
    I'm pretty sure none of them are pure sine wave, and I have had no problems at all.

I live in the sticks, and we have full cuts that last from a second or less, to, rarely now, a few minutes or more.

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Two questions I can't seem to get a solid answer on:

Is your ups fan always on even if the devices are off connecting to it?

Is it ok to plug a surge protector into the ups for devices, I know there's tons of threads saying you can't plug a ups into a surge protector itself to run it, but little info on if you can plug a surge protector extension into the ups to add more sockets.

Mine is pure sine wave, although not the best brand. A powercool. Seems solid so far. The smaller one for my Nas is simulated, a powerwalker device, recommended as Synology Nas can shut down via it.

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    One of my UPS's has a 40mm fan that comes on every 90 seconds, for about 30 seconds.
    No matter what.
    Thats why its in the garage, and why I have such a large UPS for the Modem. :)
    Its not possible to do anything with it.

The other one with a fan is the 650VA one for the Sat boxes, its an 80mm, but it needs to be replaced by a Noctua.
    During the summer it really gets going, as it gets pretty hot in the lounge.

I wouldn't plug any surge protectors into it.
    I just have normal extension blocks, and make sure I spread out the load over the sockets on the UPS.

15. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Yeah I use extension IEC based blocks, decided surge protectors, though in abundance here, wasn't worth the risk

16. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    I second that one. In my old house...there was an issue with power in my home office. Picked up a UPS and machine was great from there. In new house, no problems with power...but still use a UPS. We had a power outage a few weeks ago and I was able to save my work and not lose anything...APC NS 1350VA

insp1re2600 likes this.
  17. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    We live in an older house with very old wiring. Power is dirty and noisy and having the UPS that filters what comes in will help with the longevity of the electronics. We also occasionally have brownouts and blackouts as well. Columbus in general just has aging infrastructure, especially in the part of the city we live in as it's not one of the wealthier areas. While I don't think a UPS is necessary for everyone, having at least a surge protector with power filtering can be a good investment, especially if you're prone to drive failures.

insp1re2600 and Evildead666 like this.
  18. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Enjoy mine, just wish I knew if the fan should be on 24/7.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm using a CyberPower 1350PFCLCD.....

Not sure if it's really necessary, but I'd rather not find out.

20. I use a Tripp-lite Smart1500RMXL2UA that is hooked to a Smart Power Systems MEGA1800 power conditioner.......but i'm sure that is overkill for most folks. Tripp-lite makes a good 200 dollar UPS too....The Omnivs1500.