Intel reduces prices for Core 9000 series F (no IGP) range

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    not much of a price drop....still great to see anything cheaper...$

schmidtbag and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Eight listing with only one having HT.
    Nice to see drop in pricing, but how much more performance will there be over the non "f"?

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Agree, the price drops should be bigger but it´s better than nothing. And it´s all thanks to AMD, so thanks AMD!!!

airbud7 likes this.

5. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    These aren't new chips, we already know the answer is "none". It's just harvested chips with a non-functional GPU.

The biggest issue with these chips previously was that they were priced the same as the non-F versions but offered less features. I'm not saying this minimal price drop is enough to make up for it but at least it acknowledges that these are worse parts.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    you got that right^...heck I'm (was) an intel fanboy I tell ya!...

AMD has made everything faster and cheaper!...Gotta love that!

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yup. They should have been cheaper to begin with.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    If they actually cut the IGP physically off the die then it might be worth buying for the power leaching an heat savings. However they are obsolete once the KS drops since there is no point in buying anything but the fastest chip.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Glad I got my 9900kf at $420 shipped.

airbud7 and -Tj- like this.
  10. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    So, they are basically reducing prices to slightly higher than their 7-series chips used to be. Remember, these are mostly chips where the iGPU failed to pass testing and would have been trash before this production shortage, so they are still making far more profit than they ever would have even after the cuts.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Lol @ Hyper-Threading No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No.

12. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    I cannot be bothered to compare whats what - are they reducing BECAUSE they have no IGP?

13. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Basically, yeah. They are directly competing with Ryzen 3000 prices, since they also don't have an iGPU. And by "directly competing" I mean they made prices more similar even though the AMD chips have SMT and Intel doesn't at most of them. Which is a little sad because some of the latest games are actually getting starved for threads on the i5 vs Ryzen 3000 when using a high end GPU, and there's literally no reason why Intel can't enable HT on the i5. They could be wiping the floor value wise with the Ryzen 3600, but they specifically choose not to for some reason.

14. I can think of one. Who is gonna buy an i3 or an i7 if they do that? We can all speculate as much as we want, but the bean-counters have spoken on this one.

15. americoliveira

americoliveira Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 @2025@10900
    They dropped 25 dollars on each, certainly that the margin in the 9900kf is much bigger

16. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Do you think the difference between a i9600k ( i5 with gpu ) with HT enabled, and a 3600 without gpu, would be so much to be defined as floor wiping?

the i5 9600k is priced between a 3600x and a 3700, so it would cost more than a 3600, offering more game performance ( with HT ) but costing more for a non useful iGpu.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm a bit surprised Intel hasn't made a "no-IGP" range back when they had supply issues. A lot of people don't want/use them, it's making Intel's products more expensive, and it's slowing down Intel's production. Despite how slow those GPUs are for gaming, they actually take up a pretty decent chunk of the die. That's a lot of transistors that could be put to making more cores. This is the Kaby Lake map, but let's face it, things haven't changed a whole lot since then:
    https://images.techhive.com/images/article/2016/12/kbl-s-42_circuit-map-100700584-orig.jpg

I think his point was for the entire product line to be shifted around a bit, starting with the i5 having HT. But, HT isn't what it used to be, thanks to all the security issues. Nowadays, an i5 is arguably a better value than an i7.

18. I think i5 has been their best value for a while.