AMD Announces Radeon RX 5500 series NAVI14 - available next month

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra and BetA like this.
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Man if this is priced right this could be the next mid ranger. Wonder how well it will overclock, the RX 480 was a beast in that aspect.

Undying and airbud7 like this.
  3. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    so, its not a polaris spin off as feared...
    Good..

lets see how these Cards handle when Hilbert "Reviews" them... *looking forward to it..

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    yea^...my old 480 can still play anything!....the longevity of amd's gpu's is astonishing to me.

Undying likes this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    So many photos of pretty much the same angle, but, it is good knowing that this is Navi based, since that should substantially help with efficiency. I'd like to see the power connector (if there even is one). I'm trying to build a custom AIO gaming PC for a friend, and something like this could be a decent choice. Most other AMD GPUs are either too power-hungry, too big, or too slow to even consider, up until now.

6. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I'm curious if there will be one without a 6/8pin which you could undervolt and run fanless, wet dream of mine.

7. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Nice but too small.

8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Could everyone please stop calling these midrange? It's absurd how brainwashed people are these days. RX5700XT should be the 250€ midrange card, not a 3 year old performance card...

olymind1 and warlord like this.
  9. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Oh well, this is the direction marketing is going. I already noticed it several years ago with fast food meals here, instead of having small, medium and large many places started naming them large, xl, xxl and now cards are following the same approach, midrage, high end, enthusiast, ultra enthusiast.
    Remember how Nvidia had xx30, xx40, xx50 cards and etc? Well now the product range starts from xx50 and that's the midrange, so in a few years I guess the entry GPU will be the xx70 and it will be an Enthusiast card for 400...

Silva likes this.
  10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    RX 5500 series have Fury Nano's performance. That's 2015 stats. ;) 4 years later, isn't good to call it mid range, but low to mid range at best.

11. Shaxuul

Shaxuul Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Is it another "1080p" card, or can it handle 1440p, too?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  12. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    According to AnandTech's info the OEM desktop variants are 150W and the mobile 85W, meaning there's going to be at least one power connector.

As this is still GDDR6 cards and the core is clocked even higher than the 5700 I'm not surprised to see that.

schmidtbag likes this.
  13. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's not brainwashing or anything like that. This is literally how the market has been always. These cards obviously aren't meant for people who have older high end cards. Hell I wouldn't even say they're meant for people who have a generation or 2 gap mainstream card like the rx 480 or 1060, more or less meant for new builders. 5700XT is not a mid range card either, it's definitely a performance card. As far as pricing goes, new technology costs money. This is why at least on the Nvidia side, there are different options and price points. Obviously not everyone has $250 or so to drop on a new card.
    At 1/4 of the power and heat. Again, this has been how the market progresses always.

warlord and Embra like this.
  14. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    indeed its not a good time to buy a video card now, as a 1080ti owner, i feel i can keep it until next gen console releasse, then again will see what the new games will required in term of gpu, until that anygame that comes out shsould run very good on older high end card, the current gen console graphic capabalities is already cap, so we wont need better gpu until console next gen and even then we will see if there is any ray tracing, bot console will be powered by amd gpu s

15. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    Why does AMD put normal fans on lower-end reference cards and blower-style fans on higher end ones? The only reason I can think of is helping their partners earn more on higher-margin cards.

Anyway I want to see bigger Navi, not these small ones. What is this, a GPU for ants?

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Pascal was just overall hard to beat, even for Nvidia. Doesn't help either that Pascal had a longer run than what Nvidia gpu's traditionally had.

17. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    128bit bus looks a bit narrow to me, but if you don't mind dropping some settings: sure!

Hope the price is competitive, after the mining boom I could only afford an RX560 and that's 2013 level of performance: doesn't cut it.

18. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    my 1070 is in a weird spot as it's bested by the 2060 super which is in the same price range give or take but I don't feel the 2060 super is worth the price personally.

19. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I'm stuck on a 1080p projector for at least 2 more years, so although I really want a 5700 XT, I might just wait and see how these cards do... Because the 5700 XT and its little brother the 5700 both get a ridiculous 120FPS+ in most games (except for the new Metro Exodus, that's like ~68fps @1080p) and my R9 290X 4GB is still doing pretty well in games, it's my i7-920 CPU that is starting to slow down my frames!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Well it is indeed the age of power and efficiency. Perhaps is time to abandon performance hunt.