Upgrade from 5820K to 3900X.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Solfaur, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    As the title of this thread says, I finally decided to make the jump from my old (almost 5 years now) X99 platform to x570 (reasons are several, but I mainly sick of dealing with my 5820K build, I don't know if it's CPU degradation, memory failure, board failure, cooler failure, but it just doesn't OC as well anymore as it once did, and running it at stock is... bad, to say the least).

Now, my last AMD build was around an Athlon 64 3800+ cpu, so it's been "a while". It's been a while even with Intel, considering how long I stayed on x99. So my questions to all the AMD gurus out here are:

Is it worth waiting for 3950x? I tend towards the 3900x, as cores wise it doubles the 5820K and I don't plan on doing that much multi-tasking to take advantage of even more cores of the 3950x.

What are the best bang for buck z570 boards out there right now? I specifically waited a while to see post-launch which have issues and which are solid. Price wise, I'd like to go for something in the upper end, but not super fancy with stuff I don't need. It should have several SATAs as I have at least 3 HDDs and 1-2 SSDs that need to go on it. It also needs to have some decent onboard audio, as I don't want to go for a dedicated sound card, and it should have decent VRMs and temps.

What's the best bang for buck RAM combo? I plan on going for a 32GB kit. It's just that there are so many options, and I don't want to go overkill where the high frequency ones won't give any extra performance (other than e-peen).

I'm also looking for a new cooler, and this time around I want to for something more silent (I have an Corsair H115i atm). What's the best bang for buck cooler these days? It doesn't have to be an AIO liquid cooler.

As for case, PSU, m.2 drives, I'm not 100% decided if I'll go for something new, or use what I have. cpu+mobo+ram combo is my biggest concern right now.

My budget is medium-high'ish, I don't want to go all out, but not cut too many corners either. I don't plan on doing any (or very little) OC since as far as I know, the headroom with Ryzen 3 is quite limited.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks. :)

jura11 likes this.
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    As RAM goes for Ryzen platform, 3200 CL16 the best balanced price/performance ratio, and 3600 CL 16 is best, being at 1:1 with Infinity fabric. But gains are some % more, depending on your budget consideration if it's worth.
    PSU - Any guru here will concur: Never, ever skimp on the PSU.Get a new one, and get one good.

Best cooler- simple answer: Noctua DH line delivers. Elaborate answer- it depends.

Motherboard: Tough one, but easily solved.
    Asus X570 TUF
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master

Solfaur likes this.
  3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    My PSU is a 3 year old Corsair RM1000i. I didn't have any issues with it, so yeah, I'll think about it.

As for RAM, do brands matter in any way or do they all have the same source? So I should just focus on 3200/3600 CL16 kits, whichever are available.

Do the Noctua coolers come with their own paste? I always wanted to try one, but was put off by the fan colors, now that I realized that I can just change the fans it's less of an issue.

4. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    3800 MHz with FCLK running 1900 MHz is the sweet spot for ram. The only ram Stick I have experience with is 2 x 8 GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB. F4360016D-16GTZR which is Samsung B-Die.
    That currently runs 3800 MHz CL16 with a Ryzen 3700X. I'm sure it can be pushed to CL15/14 but the guy owning the system is happy as is. I have seen people reporting problems getting 3800 MHz working with 3900X.
    Yesterday I also installed the same ram on a Ryzen 3800X also running 3800 MHz with FCLK 1900. no issues. For some reason VDDG voltage defaults to 1.1v, but on both systems it runs fine wit 0.95v

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    OnnA, Solfaur and -Tj- like this.

5. Definitely a good PSU - any chance it's still under Warranty? I could have sworn my old Silent Pro Gold had like a 5 year one... why not just cook an RMA for shits and giggles see if you get a replacement/refurb... as opposed to one that's been stressed for 3 years straight practically.

Far as the RAM - Using 3200 - 14 - 14 - 14 - 36 (XMP) - was 1:1 up to Zen+ apparently but AMD released new information as @anticupidon already stated above regarding AMD 3000 series. Info attached in image below for RAM/3000 series.

[​IMG]

Solfaur likes this.
  6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    So 3600 CL16 is the way to go for 3900X. Sucks that there are no such kits available atm at my store (at least not in 32GB), but I'll keep a lookout.

As far as mobo goes, looks like Gigabyte is the way to go. My last boards were MSI and Asus.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Solfaur Man, you can order from Amazon.DE , they deliver in Romania.
    The kit I've ordered is this.
    Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K8G4D32AESBK 16GB (8GB x2) Memory Kit (DDR4, 3200M / s, PC4-25600, CL16, Single Rank x8, DIMM, 288-Pin)
    Less than 80€. Check Hardware Unboxing video about RAM speeds for Ryzen. Same conclusion as Hilbert already gave us many months ago.
    No point in wasting money above 3200 CL 16.
    No point, and put the money towards better mobo, or case.

Solfaur likes this.
  8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Actually I can find 3200 CL16 here, for example HyperX Fury RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16, rather cheap too. I set alert on some of the G-Skills that aren't in stock, who knows, I'm not in a huge rush, since I'll only get around actually building the rig sometime in November.

Right now I want to make sure I make the best possible choices.

So far I'm 99% sure I'll go with a 3900X and a GIGABYTE AORUS X570 MASTER.

I considered keeping my Corsair H115i, but then remembered that it too started showing signs of fatigue (like fans turning off for no reason, causing system to shut down). So yeah, I want to go air cooling this time, just looks like way less headache. So I lean heavily towards Noctua NH-U12A, even though it's so damn ugly, but at least it's not huge and ugly like the NH-D15... my other option would be a be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4, which looks better, but at the cost of performance. What do you guys think?

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Just dont get a Msi board. Honestly after waching HU x570 roundup Aorus boards are the best. X570 master/extreme are great pair with 3900x. Asrock and Asus are also solid.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Look on the Chromax line from Noctua. Cool black-grey fans and covers for heatsinks.
    I'm getting one, just wanted to simplify my build.

Solfaur likes this.

11. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79

Solfaur likes this.
  12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Ordered a G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL18 1.35v Dual Channel Kit, as it miraculously got in stock at my local store. Remains to be seen how long it will actually take for them to get to me. I could have waited for the same parts with CL16, but it would have cost like 70%, didn't think it would be worth it.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    how much did you paid for that particular kit?

Solfaur likes this.
  14. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I actually just bought this kit(RGB version) and got it installed the other day. Had it running at 3800/1900IF and slightly lower than stock timings with no issues on my 3700X with a low end B450 board. Pretty happy with it. Though I almost wish I had sprung for the lower CAS because the latency is a bit higher than I'd hoped but I'm not terribly upset or anything.

Solfaur likes this.
  15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    After conversion, ~200 euros.

Problem is/was, the CL 16 of 17 were both out of stock, and in the case of CL 16 would roughly be 65-70% more expensive. Since I mainly plan to use this for gaming, I thought I might as well save money for other parts.

Which brings me to another dilemma. I did say I want to go for a 3900x, but since I'm in no rush of building this, I gave it more thought. As said above, the rig will be mostly gaming, but maybe, just maybe, should I consider a 3800x? It's not really that much cheaper, but yeah...

Do you guys have experience with 3900x vs 3800x, do they boost around the same clocks? Or does the 3800x go a bit higher due to it only having 8 cores?

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
  17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yeah, we gurus spoke with Noctua and there you have it. Enjoy!

Solfaur likes this.
  18. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    i currently run a 3900x with an asrock x570steel legend, decent board for its price, appealing look, good bios options, i run 32 gb at 3733 cl 16 with 65ns latency, didnt succeed to push it to 3800 yet, i use hyperx rgb ram cl 19 4000 mhz 4 stick samsung b-die. i updgraded from a i7-7700k, it was running at 5.05ghz, so i lose a bit in single core, but i would say overall all my games run better on my 3900x, way less stutter, and lesss heat 10-15 degrees less than my 7700k oced in gaming

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah, I had some doubts about the 3900x, but decided to stick with it instead of 3800/700/600x, since then it truly would have been more of a side-grade and I do plan to keep this cpu+mob+ram for the very least 2 years.

Only thing left is the mobo. I lean heavily towards the GIGABYTE AORUS X570 MASTER, it's just that the price is a bit high. And after looking at it more, I seen that huge backplate it has, and it got me a bit worried. Do you guys think it will fit in my good ol' CM Storm Trooper/Stryker hybrid case? Will there be any issues with mounting the screws? I really would not want to go for a new case at this point, as the ones that I remotely like are quite expensive, and besides, I don't think any of them would beat my old one AIR FLOW wise at least.

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Finally bit the bullet on the GIGABYTE AORUS X570 MASTER + 3900X, now I'll just have to patiently (ikr) wait for everything to arrive. Hopefully all gets to me by the end of next week, or early the other next.

Question regarding OS - I have full retail copies of both Windows 7 and Windows 8 Pro, and I got the Windows 10 upgrade for free when it came out. Is there a way that I can transfer my license to this new platform without having to pay for a new one? As said, it's not OEM, but actual full price boxed retail version of 7 and 8 Pro that I own.