Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Personally I like playing these linear games from time to time. Yes, there isn't much exploring besides hidden collectibles and yes, there is a lot of cut scenes (I haven't seen QTE yet though) but that's the joy of this game, it's a movie with game play elements. The action is great, the story is interesting, the game looks amazing and the sound department delivers. Yes, it's slightly cheesy from time to time but it's supposed to be a "badass" game and it doesn't take itself seriously.

HARDRESET and Undying like this.
  2. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Same here, I prefer the linear sections over the free roam. It doesn't fit the gears style too well, It was fun but I prefer Gears as a linear game.

RzrTrek mentioned foreced QTE but I don't think there was a single one. Ive asked 3 people and none us found any.

3. michael_d

michael_d Member Guru

GPU:
    FE RTX 2080 Ti
    October 1st patch enables Async Compute on Nvidia cards.

Carfax likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

• Re-Ups are now visible in your Player Card on the Main menu
    • Improved Tour of Duty Time Remaining display to more clearly reflect the length of the Operation
    • Added new DBNO markers for all weapons
    • Fix for missing DBNO notification when players are DBNO (eg. downed when vaulting over cover)
    • Kill feed now shows downs to all players
    • Added an option to disable down/kill notifications next to crosshairs
    • Added an Easy Navigation accessibility option (allows navigating linearly forward/backward through interactive UI elements on screen)
    • Added Aim Toggle Accessibility option – using this toggle requires you to tap the aim button to ADS rather than hold
    • Asylum: In Escalation, trains now enter on a predictable timer based on the start of the round rather than match duration
    • Exhibit: Escalation rings are now the same across both halfs
    • Exhibit: Laser bridge cooldown doubled from 5s to 10s
    • Updated the Escape Veteran, Survivor, Escape Master Medal requirements
    • Improvements to Asylum’s train audio before it enters the play space
    • Resolved an exploit that allowed enemies to be de-spawned in Escape
    • Escape Leaderboards now show times in the correct format (HH:MM:SS), including negative times
    • Negative Escape times now consistently, correctly register on the leaderboards
    • Fixed an issue where Jack’s Assault and Support Abilities can get into a state where they cannot be upgraded in Campaign Co-Op
    • Fixed an issue on Vasgar where Joining In Progress could cause issues traversing the mid exit to helicopter side
    • Fixed a bug that could prevent Ultimates from being activated on PC
    • Resolved an issue that could rarely allow Horde enemies to spawn out of world
    • Fixed a bug where players could get stuck on black screen after the credits roll
    • Fixed an issue where only a single playlist reward was granted even there the player is tiered in multiple modes
    • Fixed crashes when transitioning through some cinematics on Nvidia Cards
    • Fixed a bug where meatshields could block shots when they are dropped and ragdolling
    • Resolved an issue that could cause AI pathing issues on Harbor
    The only change i see noted for nvidia in the patch notes.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    The async compute option is now available for my rig after that patch, so they definitely enabled it. I tested it out for a bit, and it seems to result in a slight performance decrease rather than an increase unfortunately. Maybe the Turing GPUs would fare better.

I will try that new 436.48 driver and test it tomorrow to see if it still gives me a performance hit and report back.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Awesome!

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Tested it with the new hotfix driver 436.51 and it was the same as before, with a slight performance dip when async compute is enabled. So I'd definitely recommend Pascal owners to disable async compute in Gears 5. I'm very interested to see a Turing owner has the same or different findings, since Turing is supposed to be more capable than Pascal when it comes to running graphics and compute in parallel mode.

Any 2080 Ti owners want to give it a shot?

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'll check it out although I don't have the absolute latest driver.

9. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    How do you patch it? Went to menu within the game...no option that I could find. Went to Microsoft Store...doesn't show anything....

Thanks

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    auto patches

11. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Just figured that out as well. Async is now an option...

12. michael_d

michael_d Member Guru

GPU:
    FE RTX 2080 Ti
    Act 4. Brumak fight.

4K.
    All settings set to Ultra, Best, Insane where applicable.
    Motion blur off.

Async Compute ON/OFF
    Facing Brumak - FPS fluctuates from low to high 40s. Sometimes falls to 39 and rises to 50
    Turn away from Brumak and fight smaller enemies - FPS fluctuates from 50s to 60. I have Vsync ON.

Async Compute ON/OFF is negligible. I will try other areas as well.

HARDRESET likes this.
  13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Cool, either way I'm interested.

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    So on a Turing GPU, there is no performance hit with async enabled, but there is no performance gain either. Interesting. The async compute load in this game must be very high, as my full fat Titan Xp cannot handle the load without a performance hit.

15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Has anyone noticed some tessellation artifacts after the last patch? Specifically in the snowy levels? Here's a screenshot. I'm certain this visual corruption is recent, and was never there on my first play through when the game first launched.

I sent a bug report to the developer so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

[​IMG]

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Carfax likes this.
  17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    @Astyanax, I tried deleting the DirectX Shader cache and the problem still persisted. Thanks for the suggestion though.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Async DISABLED
    [​IMG]

Async ENABLED
    [​IMG]

HARDRESET and Carfax like this.
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Even though dx12 implementation is getting better its funny how nvidia cards still does not benefit from it.

20. You need specific unutilised GPU resources to benefit from AsyncCompute. Otherwise it just slows down rendering due to higher management cost/state changes etc..

Carfax likes this.