Intel 10th Gen Core X Cascade Lake HEDT Processors Launch October 7th at ~55 USD per core

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Boss... I am afraid to bring it to you... but your math doesn't check out.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I wonder how long talks the CEO had to have with the board of directors before Intel managed to drop the prices like this. After all, this is quite historical as far as Intel is concerned.

Good luck to stores trying to get rid of the old stock, though, without accepting a personal loss. AMD ought to have expected this at some point, but it will surely change the HEDT market landscape seeing how Intel's CPUs still offer better performance for the same number of cores. That being said, the real competitor for Intel's X 10000 series should be AMD's TR 3000 series, not TR 2000. Assuming AMD doesn't fail repeatedly to get them out.

4. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Cascade Lake X has 48 PCIe Lanes, +4 from the 44 that SKL-X had, which means you can run full 3x x16, or 5x x8 (ie. every slot) + 2 M.2 SSDs

For my personal workstation desires of strong ST and strong MT in one system, with high PCIe lanes, these might finally offer a worthy upgrade. Will have to see how TR 3000 stacks up, particularly in ST load - but since they are apparently only starting with a 24 core model, it seems to once again only focus on MT.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019

5. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Did Intel just finally realize they had to cut prices in half to make sense?

6. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 FTW3
    according to computerbase the maximum turbo clock (turbo boost 3.0) applies to up to 4 cores.
    so finally more than 1-2 active cores are allowed to boost to the maximum at once.

-andy-

7. Bitey

Bitey Member

GPU:
    Fury X fx5
    yes "single-core turbo will ruin towards 4.7/4.8 GHz." :)

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    This was pretty much hinted at by Intel on their previous promotional slides - and it makes sense. With AMD doubling the core count on their consumer products, there was no way Intel could keep their current HEDT prices (which were already too high to begin with).

For my part, I'm very happy about the price cut. It means that prices for third-gen TR will be very reasonable and I can get the cores I want without breaking the bank. I'm guessing 32 cores will cost a little over a thousand dollars, and if it offers 64 PCIe 4.0 lanes then it will still be miles above whatever Intel can muster with Cascade Lake-X. Feels good man :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    So the pricing is now where it should've been...

Loophole35 likes this.
  10. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Oh wow, 18 Intel cores for under 1000 ...
    ... so much fingernail biting happening at Intel.

I remember when the 10-core 6950X launched just 3 years ago... for 1700, I said: "This is absolutely ridiculous, it needs to stop !".
    Then the gods listened and few months later Ryzen was announced.

There is balance in the Force again ! (almost)

jbscotchman likes this.

11. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Thanks AMD for finally being competitive. Remember when people said Intel still wouldn't drop their prices? This is great for everyone. Will be interesting to see how performance compares. I've been out of HEDT for a bit, but this pricing is enticing.

Evildead666 and vbetts like this.
  12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti

keenan likes this.
  13. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    That's very good news.:D Now do the same to desktop I9 and I7, because you know, that's more important for majority of people.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    55x18=$990

18-core processor is $989

Its the only one that is 55 per core, the rest are more.

15. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    The thing is.... Threadripper 3000 will most likely rip the entire "new" Intel HEDT lineup to shreds.
    Imagine, just imagine that awesome Zen2 core IPC with DOUBLE the memory bandwidth available to it ! Holy cow...

And new TR starts at 24 cores, while the top-end HEDT Intel ends at 18c.
    So as "low" as the new prices are, in terms of absolut performance Intel has got Nothing. No-Thing. Not-A-Thing on new TR's.

16. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t

It depends in of usage.

I want very good singlecore performance (low latency), AND good multicore performance. So for me, total performance "full package" leans towards Intel.

Ps; I use Threadripper 1950x for my ubuntu server ;)

17. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    And that is exactly why you "lean towards Intel".

Gen 1 Ryzen and especially Threadripper has serious latency issues.
    Get a Zen 2 CPU and then let's talk about it. The improvements are absolute massive (for such a short amount of time).

I have now in my house both a Zen 1 ( 1700 ) and a Zen 2 ( 3700 ), both 8-cores, but the difference between the two is significant !
    I also (still) have one Intel HEDT computer, slightly older (Broadwell-E), but HEDT nevertheless, and the Zen 2 chip beats it soundly in any and all tasks (single or multi-core). Zen 1 didn't, it was behind... also in both single and multi-core, even with 2 more cores.

I stand by my statement, Threadripper 3000 with the unified memory controller for all 4 channels will destroy EVERYTHING before it, in all possible workloads, including Zen 2 Ryzen or 9900K(S) or even these "new" 10000-series chips discussed here.
    (But it will most likely not be cheap, with TR 24-core costing $999 and going up from that)

18. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    My overclocked ryzen 3900x with oc memory/infinity fabric has ~64ns latency. My old 7980xe oc'd has ~50ns. 7980xe is still better in games than 3900x due to latency, and maybe memorybandwidth ~120GB/s.

It's for different use, so no reason to compare. I love both :p

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This is the good thing about healthy competition, the customer is the winner in the end. I just hope they apply the same pricing strategy to their next mainstream CPUs.

20. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Yea well, no.
    Comparing a non-HEDT dual-channel platform with what was a hugely expensive HEDT quad-channel platform with much higher TDP allowance... that's not right.

Let's see how that 7980xe holds up to the new TR 3000, and then make an apples-to-apples comparison.