Download: AMD chipset driver revision 1.9.27.1033

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD Releases the adrenaline edition 1.9.27.1033 of their chipset driver, AMD is offering an updated version for its third-generation Ryzen processors ("Matisse") with an updated "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan for Windows 10. The driver is also suitable for all other chipset and CPU combinations.

Download

Maddness and GSDragoon like this.
  2. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    With my 2700x i've been using windows balanced until now! so now is better to use ryzen balanced?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If you've not had problems with it, keep using it. I think that Ryzen Balanced is targeted more towards the 3000 series (correct me if I'm wrong).

4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It you are running an update version of Windows 10, then it is needed only for Zen2 arch CPU based. It should not be automatically installed on older versions (Zen and Zen+).

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Its not needed at all. Only if you like your cpu to be ultra responsive, as they just change min cpu perf to 99%,
    thus preventing win to lower clocks on idle.
    If your gaming, just set min to 15-25% and max to 100, and your good.
    I usually run power saving profile and keep the performance "locked" to 50% (max, and the cpu staying ar 2.2 ghz) i have yet to see any issues, and im even playing games like that (ace combat 7 and others).

But i think they messed up with this driver..
    Forgot i had also updated bios. Seems the lower ST clock doesnt stem from the driver, as reverting back didnt change it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  6. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    That's not exactly how Ryzen works...

100% is considered the "base" frequency, and 99% is on the "edge" of that frequency, which prevents the low-power C-state from engaging while still keeping power management "on" (100% turns it off completely).
    Windows does a software evaluation of load every 15 ms when ratio is below 99%, to determine which C-state to send to the CPU.

The thing is... Ryzen has hardware evaluation of load, which is done every 1 ms (1000 times per second).
    So, if the power management is On but Windows doesn't send C-state changes, the CPU instead takes over and changes internal frequency up and down 1000 times per second. This can not even be seen in Windows at all, and all 3rd party monitoring tools which rely on Windows Power API will just see the base frequency unchanged.
    In reality the CPU can go very low, even under 200 Mhz, and consume very little power, in the order of just a few milliwatts per core !
    And it does that for each core individually, while C-states apply to the entire CPU.

Only Ryzen Master can read this info, as it communicates directly with the CPU's internal registers instead of relying on Windows Power API (and it calculates an average/max clock/frequency).
    Don't even bother running some software like CPU-z or Coretemp or HWinfo, it will not show the CPU downclocking below base frequency when running in hardware power management mode.

I strongly recommend leaving that one to 99% and not bothering to change it, as you only harm your computer performance and power efficiency for no reason.
    Let the "hardware accelerated" power management (called SenseMI) do it's thing.
    https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/sense-mi

The same hardware logic inside the CPU does the boost as well, to whatever AGESA microcode is telling it to do.
    It's literally a mini-computer inside the CPU running it's own internal real time operating system and software (with instructions only AMD knows .. probably some form of RISC).

I presume Microsoft is working with AMD to integrate communicating with this thing into the OS itself, but it will probably be a while...

Hemisfear, HandR and insp1re2600 like this.
  7. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    So at the end what is best for you wavetrex ? ryzen balanced or windows balanced? how should i set minimum value?maximum value is 99 and not 100 than? I woul dlike the minimum frequency possible in idle and the max frequency reacheable while gaming.

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    if you are on 1903 and running on a Ryzen 1xxx or 2xxx then is the same. If you are running a Ryzen 3xxx then the Ryzen palanced power plane.

9. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    ok i'm on ryzen 2700x and have build 1903, so which plan i choose between ryzen balanced or windows balanced is the same, and that is clarified.
    But about what wavetrex said:
    "100% is considered the "base" frequency, and 99% is on the "edge" of that frequency, which prevents the low-power C-state from engaging while still keeping power management "on" (100% turns it off completely).
    Windows does a software evaluation of load every 15 ms when ratio is below 99%, to determine which C-state to send to the CPU."
    This i didn't understand, what means in terms of settings, how should i set the values correctly?

10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You cannot change those values on Windows, they are part of the kernel scheduler internal implementation.

11. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    I meant in the power plan the minimum performance and maximum performance of the cpu that i usually set minimum 5 and maximum 100

12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Install chipset drivers (which also installs the power profile Ryzen Balanced), set it as default and never go there again.
    "Windows balanced" was designed for Intel chips, a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

kilyan likes this.
  13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @wavetrex
    great that you know what i need for cpu performance and what will hinder it.
    last time i checked, you have not much knowledge of what i use my machine for.
    and no matter what chipset drivers balanced profile i used, never down clocked below 3600
    while sitting idle for +1h with almost everything turned off when it comes to software running, even in background,
    and using 0/100 works as expected, going down to 2.2 ghz and no issue using win even with max limited to 50%.
    as im using a modified balanced (win, not amd) plan (15/100) and have "identical" results for bench,
    i know the 99/100 is not needed, and only keeps base clock artificially high to get an ultra responsive win.
    so far everyone that switched from amd to win profile saw voltage and of course temps dropping,
    while not reporting any lag or similar issues.
    im not wasting power and produce more heat, for ZERO noticeable impact on my rig for what i do.

14. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Why AMD Power Management has PCI Express Link State power management Moderate power saving? should it be off or moderate?

15. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    @fry178 you understood absolutely nothing about what I posted in relation to the hardware-level (inside CPU) power management.
    Do whatever you please with your computer, I'm not holding a gun to your head and say: SET THIS VALUE OR ELSE.

@X7007 Leave it on Moderate.
    Off = PCI Express always stays at the current level (PCI-e 3.0 or 4.0 depending on your platform)
    On = PCI-Express downgrades to PCI-e 2.0 speeds and power consumption or even 1.0 when usage is low (aka, when not transferring much, for example during windows desktop or very light load). It may also reduce the numbers of active lanes in half ( 16-> 8 or 4-> 2)
    The power effect is minimal and it only has any purpose on mobile computers when even 1 single Watt saved can mean 10-15 minutes more battery time.
    The performance effect is also non-existent, as you basically only care about faster PCI-e while playing a game (so it switches up to 3.0 or 4.0) when launching the 3D load on the GPU, or when copying large amounts of data to a NVME SSD.

The switch itself is also very fast (sub-milisecond), so no performance is lost.

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The minimum power/performance is read at OS boot, setting a lower value will not effect anything (eg: a CPU minimum power performance value is 40, you can set it at 5% or even 0% in the control panel of Windows, but it will not decrease under 40 so any lower values will be ignored). If you want avoid high CPU frequency spikes you can leave the minimum value at 90% like the Ryzen power plane.

17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Never said that, but please explain how it is better to use
    99/100% with clocks between 3.6-4.2, when i can do the same things (idle/low power use like surfing/office/streaming/movies from drive)
    with a 0/100 (balanced) or even 0/50 (on the power saving profile) with the cpu lowering clocks almost by half (2.2) and lowering voltage because of that,
    and reducing temps as well, without any noticeable impact on win?

Im getting more noticeable delay from my mouse waking up from sleep (logi doesnt allow messing with sleep modes anymore), than i've ever seen any negative from running fixed 2.2 ghz

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  18. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    but if i set minumum to 5 it downclocks to 2200 mhz when idle, if i set that 90, it practically doesn't downclock and stays always 3900, so is not good since i want to powersave when pc is idle

19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Set it to 0 and your fine. I personally always switch from power saving to balanced for anything more than low load.
    so (with ps profile) i dont even have it go past 2.2 by setting max cpu to 50 ( up to 60%), balanced is 30/100%, so to not drop to low when i play games..

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  20. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    I'll say it one more time and then quit this topic:

What you see in Windows Task Manager or tools like CPU-z, CoreTemp, etc. while the CPU is in idle is NOT the real low clock of Ryzen !
    (That includes Ryzen 1000, 2000 and also 3000).

The CPU clocks internally much lower than what is visible in all these tools, and is being controlled by the power management hardware inside the CPU itself !
    Currently the only program that shows the real core clocks is Ryzen Master, and AMD keeps the inner workings of that tool as closed source, for whatever reason they want...

Setting the % of power management to anything lower than 99% only slows down the internal hardware mechanism to the software-level mechanism built into Windows.

Quick table:
    100% - Downclocking completely disabled, minimum CPU frequency is the base frequency
    99% - Hardware level downclocking enabled - CPU evaluates the load 1000 times per second and only gives it as much as needed to complete micro tasks (interrupt requests, audio buffer, network transfer, etc.). These rapid changes are not visible to the OS.
    1-98% - Software level downclocking handled by Windows - The Windows Scheduler determines P-state only 60 times per second and sends it to the CPU, which must obey. This is slower to react than the 99% version. You will see the P-State clock in the tools ( from 2200 to whatever the base is )
    0% - Core parking is Enabled, meaning CPU cores will flush their L1/L2 cache and completely stop when idle. Waking up from this takes a long time, which may induce stuttering in games and other real-time applications. It is the WORST possible thing to do on a desktop and is designed only for laptops or other battery-powered devices.

TL;DR:
    When using a Ryzen CPU, DO NOT CHANGE from the 99% value ! It is NOT necessary to touch that.

Embra, Hemisfear, HandR and 3 others like this.