Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Mico

Mico Guest

GPU:
    msi 1070 ti aero
    Thank you both for clarifications, my english is definitively rusty.
    And yes, my pc is idd old and "randomly built" (i just took the mobo-cpu base of an old prebuilt and added what was needed, not really the best solution but was supecheap and i'm playing fine) and possibly suffers too much the exploit protections.

p.s.and sorry for my brackets addiction...even worse than my english :p

mbk1969 likes this.
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    May be you should start a separate thread about your findings.

3. Mico

Mico Guest

GPU:
    msi 1070 ti aero
    NP. I won't "invade" anymore. :p
    Wanted to share my findings and that's all.
    For some was useful, for some not. It's just an extra solution to an issue that can be really gamebreaking. No need to start another thread on the same discussion i think.
    The way to solve it, or the preferred way, is really up to the user and his hardware.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    You're taking his comment wrong.
    First, all your testing is useful and your English is fine (no problem figureing out your point).
    He just means this thread is about Standby list fixes and your comments are more about how Windows exploit protection effects games, etc.
    So by making your own thread/post, you would have a focused discussion on that topic.

Kolt and Mico like this.

5. Mico

Mico Guest

GPU:
    msi 1070 ti aero
    Ow, okay then. I was just misleaded by the thread title then which is a general "Fix game stuttering". Thank you for clarification.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Your right on the thread naming, but it ended up focusing on the Standby list. Then again I could be wrong too, so let's wait and see what others say :)

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That was my thought - to give your findings dedicated attention. This thread is old and it was namely about standby list issue, so it can be that many gurus who failed to solve stuttering with solutions in this thread will not visit here and will not know about your solution.

Mico and Kolt like this.
  8. Mico

Mico Guest

GPU:
    msi 1070 ti aero
    It's fine! Thanks for the tip, but as you can notice by my late reply, i don't have anymore a lot of time so i'd have problems on updating the main OP and such.
    If anyone is in the mood to make a recap and starting/updating a new thread would be great.
    No need for credits or "kudos" :p My findings were posted with a "by gamer for gamers" spirit.
    This said let's stop here, since we are derailing the thread without any added useful info :-D

mbk1969 likes this.
  9. disq

disq Member Guru

GPU:
    13 hours system uptime with ~ 5 hours playing Apex, sb list cleared 10x:

[​IMG]

i'm still on 1803 though

10. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    ISLC 1.0.1.9 has some bugs. yesterday I found out that after a long game session I had 0 times cleared list, and it was showing 0 MB free memory, 13GB standby list, also timer resolution wasnt working. clearly it was showing wrong. I stopped and started it, then its back to working but timer res. didnt.

Im reverting back to 1.0.0.9

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019

11. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Thanks for the feedback, can you tell me if just no information was there for the Timer resolution or if it's the setting you tried to applied that was not working?

12. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    like I said, it was set as 1.0.0.9 before, plus 500ms polling rate and chrome, firefox excluded thats it.

edit: timer i put on 0.50. when set, it was showing values as if its not set on the current timer.

13. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Maybe you forgot to tick the box to enable the custom timer?
    All working here with latest version.

14. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    its ticked. it was working before when I first downloaded it and only to realize after gaming that it wasnt working for idk how long.

edit: i was happy with 1.0.0.9 anyways, dont need exclusion list or polling rate change.

15. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Microsoft's Windows Vista (released January 2007) and later have ASLR enabled only for executables and dynamic link libraries that are specifically linked to be ASLR-enabled.[26] For compatibility, it is not enabled by default for other applications. Typically, only older software is incompatible and ASLR can be fully enabled by editing a registry entry "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\MoveImages",[27] or by installing Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit.

The locations of the heap, stack, Process Environment Block, and Thread Environment Block are also randomized. A security whitepaper from Symantec noted that ASLR in 32-bit Windows Vista may not be as robust as expected, and Microsoft has acknowledged a weakness in its implementation.[28]

Host-based intrusion prevention systems such as WehnTrust[29] and Ozone[30] also offer ASLR for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 operating systems. WehnTrust is open-source.[31] Complete details of Ozone's implementation are not available.[32]

Could it also be for 64bit?

It was noted in February 2012[33] that ASLR on 32-bit Windows systems prior to Windows 8 can have its effectiveness reduced in low memory situations. Similar effect also had been achieved on Linux in the same research. The test code caused the Mac OS X 10.7.3 system to kernel panic, so it was left unclear about its ASLR behavior in this scenario.

So the final suggestion is to Disable ASLR Globally or to keep it and use ISLC?

16. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Anyone?

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you get rid of problems just by using ISLC then use it.
    If some problems remain even with ISLC then try to disable ASLR without using ISLC.
    If you get rid of problems just by disabling ASLR then do it.
    If you get rid of problems by combining ISLC and (disabling) ASLR then do it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Smough likes this.
  18. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Ye that what I though. What works for you though? and which games did you have if any?

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have no problems with games. So I don`t use ISLC and I don`t disable security features.

In theory ASLR should not affect any programs because it should apply only at the start of the process. And even more - the setting in Defender "bottom-up ASLR" is about strengthening ASLR when it is forced on apps which were built without ASLR support. So (1) if ASLR is not forced on these apps the bottom-up ASLR feature is not relevant at all, and (2) I have never read about disabling ASLR for apps which were built with ASLR support (so it is not clear to me whether it can be disabled for such apps).

But if gurus do report they solved problems by disabling bottom-up ASLR feature who am I to argue about it.

Wagnard likes this.
  20. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I have a 1080ti/9900k/16gb ram ddr4/970 evo SSd and pretty much every game has some form of stutter.Tried all sorts of things.None have worked so far.Already use ISLC and have CFG off globally.Is "Randomise memory allocations (Bottom-up ASLR) that you disable Globally just so I'm 100% sure?

Makes sense why w7 was so much smoother gaming wise.Had none of this stuff.Been dealing with these issues since I "upgraded" to w10 a year ago.Was v1803 I think.

I might also disable the rest of the exploit protections per game.exe too.Not willing to drop everything globally but I'm willing to drop Bottom-up ASLR Globally and (CFG since I've had this off for months now with no issues)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019