Guru3D Rig of the Month - September 2019

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this ROTM we visit Croatia, where Božo is at it again with a build that once you take a closer look at it, is just staggering. So please, don't let the background wallpaper draw your attention ...

Guru3D Rig of the Month - September 2019

Robbo9999 and vbetts like this.
  2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think you must mean "3x 128MB SDRAM" rather than "3x 128GB SDRAM" on Page 2. Crazy build!

With a PC that old, what can it still be used for? I'm imagining it's running some kind of more 'custom' operating system if it's a modern operating system?

3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Cool looking build but I imagine all it's good for now is retro games and as part of your wall art.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The painted motherboard is interesting. Don't see that all too often; not without other serious issues.
    Pretty refreshing to see something old too.

30 years ago, the mistake would've been in MB rather than GB, where you'd say "I think you meant 3x 128KB".
    Linux with a modern kernel could run on it just fine. Of course, you wouldn't be able to do many modern desktop uses with it because just about any web browser you use will swallow up all the RAM just by opening a blank tab, but it could still be used for other purposes. That being said, it would work as a home server, even with a minimal GUI. Some things that come to mind would be:
    * Over-the-internet file sharing (you can get 100Mbps on a platform like this, which is typically faster than what most ISPs provide for upload speeds). Due to the lack of PCIe slots, I wouldn't recommend something like this for a LAN NAS.
    * Attach a bunch of webcams and old clunky HDDs to it and turn it into a home security system
    * A central printer server; great for printers that aren't networked. This is especially relevant if you happen to have a very good/reliable printer that still uses a parallel or serial port, such as old label printers.
    * At 1080p or lower with a more modern GPU (like Terascale2 or Fermi, both of which have AGP or PCI variants), this could work just fine as an HTPC.

Robbo9999 likes this.

5. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    But but but... can it run cr.....

Oh snap.
    Wrong thread. Sry.

6. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Nice, gives a whole new meaning to Punk Buster. :)

7. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    That's right, my first computer was an Acorn Electron (related to BBC Micro), and I think that had 32KB of memory, I loaded games off a cassette deck! I used to have it hooked up to a tiny black & white TV that had a dial on it you rotated to tune in the channel!

EDIT: just googled the Acorn Electron to bring back some memories of it....ooo....Starship Command, and Crystal Castles...I don't think I had any other games!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  8. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I had the same CPU + DFI PA61 mobo + GF 2 MX 200 PCI. :D

9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This is what I love about G3D RotM. It's not some fancy RGB water-cooled fancy thing like we see most of the time. This is true creativity. Old, yes. Outdated, yes. Horribly underpowered, yes. But characterful!

Božo Kaurić, airbud7 and schmidtbag like this.
  10. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Best looking build so far this year IMO

How does the painting works ? I am very interested in this customization option.

Well done !

Božo Kaurić likes this.

11. Božo Kaurić

Božo Kaurić Member

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 2060
    Thank you all for your kind comments ;)

It was all airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics , but first of all, all the important connectors/parts were masked of, not to get any paint on them.

I let it run non stop for two days, just to see if I will have any troubles, but it worked like charm, 0 problems.
    Would I do it on a brand new, 500$ motherboard? Yeah :)

As for the OS, I installed 98SE, just to be able to play couple of games from my youth.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Very nice. If Picasso had a rig, it would probably look like this.

Božo Kaurić likes this.
  13. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Very unique looking, I Like it. Old School FTW!

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
  15. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli