Borderlands 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scaredchimp, Mar 27, 2019.

1. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Thinking about picking this up. Big fan of the series, the only reason I haven't bought it yet is the work commitment recently and the negative comments about the performance I've been reading about.

Rig is 7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200 ram and 2080. Has there been any performance improvements? I have a 165hz 1440p IPS monitor, I'm hoping for 100ish fps with settings turned up.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  2. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Those weapon names!! I really need to pick this game up :)

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Almost makes me wonder if these were the video file names found on Randy Pitchford's thumb drive....................

AsiJu, Kolt, Party Poison and 3 others like this.
  4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    So far there's only been a few hotfix patches doing minor bugs.

5. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Nearly spat my coffee out.

KissSh0t likes this.
  6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Finally started playing the game, so far more Borderlands, liking the new weapons feel, types and various modes. Liking some of the polish on things like the vending machines and I think the game does look better than the previous two games, quite noticeably in some cases, I've played both BL1 and BL2 through any number of times but not once have I played as a Siren so opted this time to play as Amara, finding my play style is a lot more run at enemies and get up close and personnel than the way I played in previous games. Not sure if that's the character I chose or just the tweaks they have made to gun feel and gun play in this one but I am enjoying it so far.

Not liking, the map is awful, it takes ages to scroll across the map screen or zoom out it is weirdly quicker to just tilt the map to find where a mission objective is. Not liking the weird stutter that the game suffers from, the closest I can place it to is like back in the old days of Oblivion where the game would stutter as world objects, textures, etc were loaded in. I actually found myself doing the old 360 spin when the game loads to see if that helps. It's also pretty noticeable when you use anything that has a zoom function.

Haven't tweaked settings just left it with whatever the game defaulted too when I first ran it, some stuff on high some on medium. It's Borderlands I think you need to try really hard to make the art style of this game look bad.

blitz72 and anxious_f0x like this.
  7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    this is so stupid

a boss stuck in a wall

cerebus23 likes this.
  8. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Yea that's my biggest beef with the game atm, was playing a bit last night and the game was running just fine so I went cruising around the world to get to a quest target and when I hopped off my vehicle... *stutter* *stutter* *stutter* *stutter*... "F**k off game!". So I'm just taking it slowly at the mo until they hopefully manage to patch out some of the performance.

I think there was a link to a video in the previous page or the one before that which shows what settings you can leave off and what turn up for the best performance/IQ balance. Be sure to check it out if you haven't.

9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    If you’re getting stuttering I’d definitely give DX12 a go if you haven’t already, it may give you a lower fps during the benchmark but it’s been far better in game than DX11 for me, dropping volumetric fog down a few clicks will give you a lot more performance on the GPU side of things.

DX11 is horribly CPU limited even on the fastest CPU’s it seems.

blitz72 likes this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah but dx11 runs better in gpu heavy areas.

11. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    It does, but it’s not a huge difference and at least you can tweak the settings to bring the FPS back up if you do find you’re GPU limited, I did my first play through in DX11 and it was a mess no matter what the settings were with long stretches of gameplay being bottlenecked by a single CPU core being at 100% usage and 45fps, while the GPU sits there at 50% usage waiting for the CPU to catch up.

The same areas in DX12 run way above 60fps.

blitz72 likes this.
  12. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I tried DX11 when it became apparent to me that the DX11 optimisation is what it is and initially it felt like DX12 ran better but then it started chugging almost as if there was a memory leak or something although that could have down to the older driver I was using at the time of testing.

PS. That long initial load even with the game on an SSD kinda puts me off.

13. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I did notice that if you ALT-TAB in DX12 it does something funky and looks really stuttery, so if that’s something you do often it can be a pain, there is a way to fix that however, when you tab back into the game, hit ALT-ENTER, then go into the settings and you’ll probably see that the game is now in windowed mode, put it back into full screen and it should run fine after that.

Other than that I’ve not really noticed any loss of performance over time, but yeah that initial load is a pain, fortunately it’s only a couple of mins for me which I can live with, really hammers the CPU with that initial load.

14. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Does dx12 still have the very long initial load times?

15. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    The first time you enable DX12 it can take 10 to 15 minutes to load, but subsequent loads after that are much shorter, one to two minutes, maybe less depending on your hardware.

Party Poison likes this.

16. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Ill give it a try, Thanks

anxious_f0x likes this.
  17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Oh, really? I gave up after a few minutes as I thought it was stuck (went super-laggy with FPS in the single digits and I couldn't take it anymore). Maybe I'll try it again.

18. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    blitz72 likes this.
  19. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Highly underrated reviewer :)

20. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    The patch is now live(at least in my neck of the US). 379MB... So far I haven't had any issues with the game. I also use DX12 runs better than the DX11. Other than the little under 2 mini load time it goes good from there. Slow ass internet so I'll report back when it gets done and I mess around a little bit. BTW my gamer name is MuTT420 if anyone would like to add another peep to their friends list.

moab600 and anxious_f0x like this.