New PC speakers advice

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by H83, Aug 15, 2018.

1. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Sorry, I was talking to the OP

2. Rafterman

Rafterman Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX470 Twin frozr II
    Take a look at the Audioengine A2+, very tasty and not too expensive. I agree with the guys who say steer clear of the 2.1 PC sets, not great for music, really only good if audio is an afterthought and just needed for gaming.

H83 likes this.
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Thanks for the tip Rafterman. The Audioengine A2+ seem to be very nice speakers and are compact, something very important for my case because the space is limited. The only problem is that they are a bit pricey...
    Still they deserve to be included on my small shortlist.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hi everyone.

I know a lot of time has passed since my last post but i just want to tell you guys that i have finally decided to buy new speakers!... And the chosen ones are the Audio Engine a2+. They are going to cost me much more than i wanted 227€ but i prefer to spend more on a quality product than to buy some cheap crap. And they seem to be perfect for my particular case.

So thanks everyone for their help and opinions and if you guys want i will tell how good these puppies are after i try them of course.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    year later my original post still stands :)

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I have the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 set. The subwoofer is indeed beefy, however, after years of service the power amp chip died. :( The sats, however, were not the greatest, tho I did upgrade them with a set of Quintet II's, which is an amazing upgrade for that system,.

After that, I said goodbye to multimedia systems, and just got myself a nice Yamaha AV receiver, and some Infinity Primus 150's and a 250 to make a 5.1 system, with my own DIY subwoofer.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my Altec Lansing AC48 I think that what there model is, after 20+ of use the sub woofer if feeding static in to the speakers seeing subwoffer connection to speakers feeds the power to them too. I still think there amazing sounding, I just cant deal with the static feeding in to speakers. now that there gone I just use my headphones. one I get feed up with that im gona find me pair of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers unless I find 2.1 speakers that are better.

I can do same with my av-unit and 5.1 speakers but I wont cause it just over kill seeing the Av-unit creates 4x more heat then my pc does and after 20minutes of it on I feel temperature diffrence

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I feel for you. Living in an apartment now, so no home theater. Just nabbed a G6 and using my Sony MDR-SA5000, it's a wonderful combo. Just set up Dolby Atmos for Headphones, and doing movie testing. The Atmos demo files played just fine.

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I got myself the Sound BlasterX Katana, the soundbar itself sounds phenomenal but the subwoofer is terrible lol.
    Luckily there are amazing subwoofers to buy used. i have 2 8" subs that i got for 25 euro each and they are miles better then the one you get with the Z5500 or Z906. :)

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So after a month using my Audio Engine A2+ i can say that i´m very happy. The sound quality is a night an day upgrade over my previous cheap speakers. The vocals are much more powerful and the sounds are crystal clear, so clear the some of them were impossible to be heard on the previous speakers!... So far the only downside i can find is the price but i guess real quality costs money.

So again i would like to thank everyone that helped my, specially Rafterman for his tip on my speakers.

Thanks guys!

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That sound bar looks nice not sure about the price though. I kind wish i kept my old samsung sound bar, it sub might of sucked, but it did sound good If i didnt get rid of it i would of had speakers for me pc seeing my old ACS48 bite dust. now i just headphones on my pc.

Those speakers seem to only have volume control on the back of the one speaker does that not annoy you? or are one those people that control the sound of the pc unlike me who likes to control it from speaker hah

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Yeah, i´m the last type. I´m used to control the volume from Windows and space is scarce at my desk so it´s easier this way. I just adjust the sound from the speakers from time to time to better "tune" it for my preferences.

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Another happy convert :p

I've been using "2.1" satelites+sub setups since the 90's. I've been through quite a few of them, mid-range to higher-end ones (including a rather expensive Acoustic Research 2.1 system early on, and a JBL one later on.) A couple years ago I got my first real speakers (Edifier S1000DB). There's really no comparison to satelites+sub. Real speakers are just way better. There's no going back. If you have a 2.1 system right now that sounds really good to you (as did I), a set of decent, real speakers is going to make you wonder how on earth you thought that the sound you had before was actually good.

It's like having an expensive, large SD TV home theater system and you're watching your favorite DVDs on it. You think this is pretty f'ing good. And it was pretty good, don't get me wrong. It's way, way better than VHS and very enjoyable. But then imagine you get a 4K TV and pop-in your first 4K BluRay... You're seeing details you didn't even know existed before. Well. It's kinda like that. You're hearing sound you didn't even know was there before.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @RealNC

real speakers beat the crap out satellite + sub setup, At once point back in the 90's I had amplifier + 2 12" bookshelf speakers connected to my pc and they were much better then any 2.1 system I had. I dont have room for such set up anymore.

Im pretty sure if I had room for 2 more bookshelf speakers I would replace my rear satellite speakers connected to my A/V like I did with with front satellites speakers. my 5.1 speaker system was always meh and sub was eh too. When I disconnected the sub and replace the 2 front satellites with the bookshelf speakers I have not only did the lows sound way better from bookshelf speakers then with just the sub those bookshelf speaker had better all around sound. I been toying with idea of replace the rear satellites speakers with bookshelf speakers since then. you don't need sub if you have good bookshelf/tower speakers.

RealNC likes this.
  15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I remember when I received the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 for review, and I really enjoyed that sub. Too bad the sats were prone to vibration due to being made of plastic. However, for fun, I replaced those sats with a set of Klipsch Quintet II's, which were a great replacement. Later on when I got into DVD-A audio, I started to get compression issues in regards to the sat drivers, so I replaced the Quintet II with Infinity Primus 150 sats + 250 Center. (And the Klipsch amp died out finally, so I built my own sub)

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    For good 2yrs I have vintage Bose Accoustimass5 (series3, y98'), it's on a stereo amp and I'm really impressed. lol @ -36db it's almost too much.

Also it sounds nice with that stereo everywhere reflecting, add xfi cmss-3d together and it sounds dope in games :D much better then my old alteclansing mx5021, before it went kaput lol

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    You´re totally right but that´s the problem, experiencing all this great hardware so we can know how good it is. I have a great ultrawide 144hz screen that i love but the only reason i have it it´s because i asked here for advice before buying otherwise i would have bought a shitty 4K screen locked at 60hz...
    The same with my speakers, i was ready to pull the trigger on some crappy Logitech speakers i saw on a store when i remembered to ask here for advice and that was my luck.

It´s a shame that there aren´t stores where we can experience some quality hardware so we know what we are buying.