Strange behavior after windows 10 1903 update

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MaLDo, Sep 23, 2019.

1. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    I don't know where to put this. Is not pure driver topic, neither games or modifications but a mix of them.

I play a lot of my games with SweetFX. This kind of shader suite that surely almost everybody know, adds shader effects to the games. It consist of a config file, shader files and a DLL in order to hook the changes fooling the game. You have to paste d3d9.dll (Direct3D 9), dxgi.dll (Direct3D 10 and 11) or OpenGL32.dll (OpenGL) depending of the game.

A few days ago the Windows 10 1903 update landed on my computer and I've seen some strange things that I can not explain and need help.

First of them is: if I use SweetFX is not possible to force fullscreen exclusive mode anymore. Avoiding SweetFX, you have to disable Windows GameBar, DVR and check in "Disable full screen optimizations" in the properties of every game exe you want to run in fullscreen exclusive mode. If not, this windows update will force every game to run in new borderless mode if the game tries to run in exclusive mode. But if a SweetFX library is placed in the game path, those settings won't work and exclusive mode is not possible.

Second, Assassin's Creed III (and other AC games) do strange things. When using D3D9.DLL or DXGI.DLL sweetFX file, the game crash. But using OPENGL32.DLL the game works fine, and sweetFX works too!! WTF? Those are not OpenGL games!! How a windows update can make this kind of thing is getting me mad.

Someone that had to deal with that update for longer has any idea about it?

Thank you!

2. Johnny Gibson

Johnny Gibson Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB EX OC
    While not 100% the same I had issues with Quadspinner Gaea (a 3D terrain creating application) within minutes of the W10 1903 update things headed south regarding the d3d9.dll If you are running RivaTunerStatisticsServer maybe you could download and install the version released last week as that fixed it for me and the 157 things I tried before that did nothing to help. I think it was a conflict messing in the registry corrupting the .dll and repairing via cmd only lasted till I tried to open the Gaea software again.

3. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Windows forcing FSE has been a pain since 1803. The solutions are as you described but you can also try a registry hack that forces disabling FSE globally. Search these forums for posts about it.

SpecialK (https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods) can also sometimes override FSE and restore proper fullscreen mode.

I've not heard of SweetFX preventing this though -- and note SweetFX is no more, and hasn't been for some time. You should be using Reshade (reshade.me) and the latest version at that for all game/OS compatibility.

Nothing to do with 1903. This has always been the case. Some games will initialise multiple APIs even if they only render through one. As long as they initialise it Reshade can be hooked in. This is why it's always worth trying each .dll if the expected one doesn't work as intended.

janos666 likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Doesn't change the fact his d3d crash is the result of Windows updates to the D3D runtime and a stale RTSS injection cache.

5. Areswer190

Areswer190 Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X
    Can u post some links about disabling FSE i can't find anything about it. Thx

6. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
  7. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI