Vaping Gurus

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Repo Man, May 27, 2018.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    While smoking can cause throat cancer, according to medical data, there are other conditions that are far more prevalent such as heart disease, lung cancer, strokes, cardiovascular disease, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, early on-set alzheimers..... Of course, fast-food cheeseburgers can cause some of those same conditions, as well as some others....lol

airbud7 likes this.
  2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    So I don't smoke or vape, but here in the U.S in the news, there's talk of several people dying lately from vaping. Maybe it's the particular type of chemical they are using to vape with, or something wrong with their vaping device, but people have died.

What do you guys think is happening?

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That was discussed on the previous page....

There have been 8 deaths associated with the use of Juul vaping systems. Those 8 deaths are the result of people using Juul pods containing THC illegally obtained from drug dealers. These deaths are NOT "vaping related". They are drug related. Juul has contracted 2 other companies to produce their device and "pods". The manufacturer of the "pods" sells them as empty unit. Drug dealers have been obtaining these empty pods and filling them with THC based liquids containing Vitamin E acetate. When inhaled, the mixture becomes extremely toxic.

Legitimate eliquids are, relatively speaking, safe for use (compared to cigars, cigarettes and tobacco pipes). The safety of Juul devices and "pods" however, are of questionable safety due to the use of known toxic preservatives. The safest way to vape is to use an "open" system (properly regulated box mod from companies like Vaporesso, Tesla, SmokTech, iJoy, VooPoo, Sigelei, etc and tanks/drippers from the same companies), buy eliquids from reputable sources and avoid closed or pod style systems entirely. If your e-liquid contains Vitamin E Acetate, Diacetyl (2,3 Pentanedione), Acetoin or Benzoic Acid dispose of it immediately and change suppliers. These are known toxic chemicals. Stick to eliquids containing propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG), nicotine and flavoring. Those should be the only ingredients listed on the label. If there is deviation, there is reason for concern.

Notice: While vaping is safer than smoking burning tobacco or illicit drugs, it is still not as safe as breathing fresh (non-poluted) air. If you don't smoke, don't start vaping. While it is possible to obtain eliquids made solely of PG, VG and flavoring, it's still advised to avoid vaping if you aren't a current or past smoker. While legitimate studies show vaping to be relatively harmless (compared to burning tobacco and "drugs"), the industry is constantly progressing and introducing new materials which may change the outcome of previous research studies. Always follow safety guidelines from product manufacturers.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Thanks for the explanation. I have zero desire to smoke or vape, but I was just curious as to what could be causing these deaths, as vaping has long been touted as a safer alternative to smoking as you said

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Hey if people want to kill them selves slowly with smoking or vaping cause neither are really good for you. let them maybe this all way to keep the population in check , not that it actual works

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Current research suggests that vaping, in it's current form, has no greater impact on life expectancy than the air we breath on a daily basis....which is heavily polluted.

I'm not saying vaping is safe....though a Japanese study showed it's safer than breathing the air in a lot of major cities around the world....but there is no reliable study that shows it to be even remotely as harmful as some are trying to make it out to be....

Smoking is deadly.....chewing tobacco can be deadly....nicotine gum, nicotine patches and the "quit smoking meds" can be deadly. According to studies done over the last decade, vaping has shown to be safer than any other method of quitting smoking, aside from the "cold turkey" method which presents it's own downsides...

AsiJu and drandiiski like this.
  7. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Its not natural to breathe anything else but clean air , if you believe that inhaling scented oils wil not affect your body in any way ..... good luck , it's your life do whatever you want with it .

8. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Makes one wonder , who paid for this " research " ? It reminds me of the days when the doctors recommended smoking tobacco to people for the health benefits , all sponsored by the big tobacco companies .

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    There are very few populated areas in the world where you'll find "clean" air. Pollution is everywhere

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    In the US, vaping related studies are funded by "Big Tobacco".... In the UK and Japan, I couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty. The studies done in the UK were conducted by the Royal College of Physicians which is a well respected institution. The Royal College of Physicians doesn't see a problem with vaping and is willing to promote it as an acceptable method for quitting smoking.

The Japanese study was conducted by drawing vapor through a particulate filter and comparing the captured particles to the particles capture from drawing cigarette smoke and "fresh air" through the same type filter material. The conclusion was that the vapor contained "up to" 95% fewer harmful particles compared to cigarette smoke and had similar results compared to "fresh air".

If your only reason for posting in this thread is to dissuade people from vaping, you have no reason to post in this thread. It's not the purpose of this thread for people to post their opinions on vaping.

Considering we've polluted nearly 100% of the air in inhabited areas of the plant, good luck finding "clean air" to breath.

drandiiski likes this.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I'm back, the doctor said don't vape motor oil and I was like really?

Okay I'll stop now :p

Btw one of these incidents in the US was recently covered by a Finnish tabloid publication (surprisingly no "proper" outlet has shared it that I know of).

The beginning and title of the article were as click-baity as you'd expect but reading on they revealed a small detail that the person used his own liquid mixes, vaped marihuana and THC compounds were responsible for his condition.

X-rays of his lungs looked horrible and ofc the writing was further "spiced up" by "quoting" a doctor saying he's seen higher oxygen saturation on corpses...

To make things better it was my missus who spotted the article and, clearly worried, asked me to read it asking if this concerns me / my device / my liquids as well.

I said no, I don't vape self-made drugs, doesn't apply.

As far as I know the primary concern is we lack knowledge of whether long term inhaling of PG / VG has any adverse effect on lungs.

As substances they're harmless but when continuously consumed via breathing there are no studies / results of whether they have an effect or not.

So if you smoke, switch to vaping but if you don't smoke, don't start vaping either.
    And not least because vaping will develop nicotine dependency just as quickly as smoking, if not more so (vaping is "easier" / more pleasant than inhaling smoke).

12. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    There was a pretty well conducted study a few years back, where Dr. Riccardo Polosa, world-renowned researcher and director of the Institute for Internal Medicine & Clinical Immunology at the University of Catania in Italy, tracked the health outcomes of a cohort of daily e-cigarette users for 3.5-years. The interesting part was that none of the subjects have never vaped or smoked, their lungs were in perfect condition before the test and the results showed no change in that condition after the test! Of course that study never gets mentioned by the media…

LINK

So basically, yes there may be some harm in inhaling the vapor from legit e-liquid, but it is so small that I would be more worried about the micro dust particles in the air of the big city I live in and breathe every day. Not to mention youtube reviewers like GrimmGreen for example, that has been vaping his face off on every product on the market for the past 10 years and is still alive, well and fighting to spread the real massage here – that we are all being lied to by the media and the politicians!

AsiJu likes this.
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Regardless of the evidence, some will never get it.

I actually had a co-worker try to tell me that vaping is more dangerous than cigarettes because of the factless bullshit the media has been spouting.... Yes, there have been 8 "vaping related" deaths... Amazing how the media fails to mention that smoking killed considerably more than 8 people this year already...... Or that "smoking related illnesses" kill roughly 480,000 people per year.... If you compare the numbers, vaping is still one of the safest activities anyone can participate in.

As for the kids trying vaping....they account for less than 0.1% of the people comprising the specified age group..... And more kids still admitted to trying cigarettes than vaping last year.....

drandiiski likes this.
  14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    And here we go again. Look folks, inhaling anything not intended for the delicate tissues of your lungs is bad, end of story. The amount of harm is dependent per user and substance. Any of you claiming they are harmless is silly. As with everything, harm is relative. The issue being lost with the extremist noise from both sides is that this simply needs to be regulated as is any other substance that you ingest in one form or another. Simple. Britain seems to have managed.

https://truthinitiative.org/researc...ucts/e-cigarettes-facts-stats-and-regulations

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    ZXRaziel likes this.
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

16. :confused: ..... oh boy ... I'm gonna just be over here in the corner :oops:

fighting cancer... :D

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    you keep inhaling your oils...

18. Claire Jill

Claire Jill Guest

GPU:
    intel/1gb
    Well, I don't know how everyone else looks at vaping but I can tell you from my personal experience, it works. I use to smoke almost 2 packs a day of the stinky cigarettes and I tried all the methods out there, even hypnosis, and nothing worked. I switched to vaping and for the past 3 years, I never touched a cigarette and never going to. So guess what it might work for some it not might work for others.
    The vape juice that helped me, that I vape at this time too, is called Dark Secret by Voro Vape ( a UK company not to well known out there).

insp1re2600 likes this.
  19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    In Belgium we had a few deaths, but even the surviving victims admitted they experimented with CBD. Basically stick to the regulated vapes, don't experiment if you don't know what you're doing. Mixing chemicals without proper knowledge can have unforeseen consequences.

On a sidenote, I took my nicotine down from 6 mg to 3 mg now, will stick with that for a while and then start experimenting with 1.5 mg or even 0 mg (and eventually quit).

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    In the US, we have liquids that contain CBD that are no more dangerous to vape than the typical e-liquid. It's recommended to use such e-liquids in low power devices. My personal recommendation, if using CBD for any of the medical purposes, find something other than e-liquid...... It doesn't make much sense to vape CBD as it reduces the effectiveness. With CBD being non-psycho-active, it makes even less sense to vape outside of treating certain medical conditions where a pill, gummy or drops would be considerably more effective....

Congrats on the nicotine reduction. Good luck on further reduction.

Everyone has their own opinion. Most voice their opinion out of pure ignorance. If vaping is working for you, and your doctor has no concerns in regards to your health, don't worry about what others say. If you notice any issues, contact your doctor.

I discussed quitting smoking with my doctor at length. He recommended the patches. I tried the patches. I ended up in the ER after a couple days. Discussed the issue with a neurologist that recommended I discontinue use of the patches. I tried the gum.... My shrink recommended I not use the gum for the safety of others. My doctor strongly advised against the various pharmaceuticals based on past medical history. Vaping is the only option and my doctor has no issue with it..... I trust my doctor over idiots that have unqualified opinions and no clue wtf they're talking about.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Corrupt^ and AsiJu like this.