Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Maybe try the Xbox App rather than the Windows Store..

I'm not sure if it's any better as i have never had a single issue with downloads from the Store, but the new Xbox App is a better way of doing things than using the store direct.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Both use the same BITS downloader service.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I will say, Gears 5 downloaded very quickly through Win10 store.
    Seemed like a much smoother experience then the last time I downloaded Gears 4.

4. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Finished it last night, Kinda shocked at how short the game is.

I did all side quests and got all Jack upgrades, Came in just under 8 hours.
    Went to look for a guide incase i've missed something bu no sadly.

It 100% worth playing for those on the fence about it, For me it ended a but abruptly with a kind of " is that it " as I was hoofed back to the menu.

The open world was gorgeous but a tad too empty
    The last chapter is Gears at its finest, incredible stuff I'd have loved more of that throughout.

May sound a bit negative but I did really enjoy it.

Ending spoilers below.

I think the choice of who lives and dies is a bit out of nowhere, Aside from being nice Del has no character so he was gone. If gears 6 carries on the choice it will be better as JD has much more of a character arc to go through with Dels death. I can see them bringing Del back as some sort of abomination.

I nearly laughed when Jack got more of a dramatic death than Del.

Enjoyed it overall but it felt very empty in the open world and ended way too quickly. Kait's mother being the swarm queen was overly hammered home and just very obvious, Killing the Matriarch straight after setting it free was disappointing as it was all over the pre release art and footage.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Bit of a end spoiler oops I had...

Thought I had to kill one of my own as Myra trying to break the character to allow this merge or control so whoops though yeah Del was more of a humorous guy with little presence compared to the prior game protagonist that was J.D although I only later realized Bald and Big was actually J.D in the first place so double whoops.

I thought it was quite short too even exploring the hub area a bit although upgrading Robo-Key wasn't too interesting as I rarely even used it for anything beyond mandatory puzzle solving as dictateded by plot.
    Bit of another end spoiler...
    Emotional Robot roaring rampage revenge and epic last stand and heroic sacrifice...but it's a robot drone so OK that's done with now put the code in a new chassis and everything is just as before so beep-beep and version 2...3 is a go.

That and I don't like the obvious cliffhanger endings and teaser for look what the sequel might have and leaving on a high note but it still feels like it's only about halfway done.
    Another end spoiler.
    The rifle literally has a chainsaw bayonet couldn't they just have made sure last time by just beheading the corrupted old hag and burning the body to be sure. It's too far gone anyway and these emotional moments don't really have much impact.
    But at least we have hammer time again so next time grandmas getting hammered... and the satellite is offline again piece of scrap never works right because plot says so.

EDIT: The action was fun though but the emotional moments, family drama and other stuff in-between felt a bit forced and never really clicked or felt engaging so yeah but I liked it though the lengths fairly short and game play and game mechanics wise these open areas weren't very fun though the start and end felt really good. :D

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    What difficulty level did you play on? I played on experienced (second highest difficulty) the first time, and it took me around 20 hours to go through the campaign arc and get all the collectibles.

On the easier difficulty levels it definitely would have taken me less time. The Act 2 boss on the harder difficulty is a #*&^@. One mistake and you die. One of the other main missions in a certain mine also had buggy A.I which made it much harder than it should have been.

7. First act is good then it goes terribly downhill. Full of bugs, terrible AI, short campaing, Kait as damsel in distress doesn't fit a Gears game... nothing special overall.

8. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Tried the game.. Basically besides looking pretty and running well, that’s the most not-for-me game in some time. The setting is somewhat interesting, but everything else is so boring. Characters are not interesting at all, most of the enemies are just generic AF, combat is meh and the gameplay/mission structure is lazy point to point action, while people just do not shut up! Oh well…

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Did you like any of the previous entries in the series?

10. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    TBH I only played the first one when I came out and liked it for the most part, but times were different then :)

11. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    One of those games, I see... This gets on my nerves as well in newer games. How bad is it?

12. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I played just the first 1-2 hours of it and it was non stop chatter, that seems to continue onward judging by some streams I've seen. I just feel that building atmosphere requires quiet moments, but may be the issue here is that it was build around co-op and non-stop action. That may be appealing for some, just not for me.

emperorsfist likes this.
  13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I was surprised at how well the game runs on my system (you've got to love async compute), even though my quad-core is being a bottleneck at medium/high settings at 1080p.

However the game itself is very linear (forced qte sequences, clunky controls), but I always get that "space marine" vibe when I play GOW, hence why I just keep slaying those aliens.

I did forget to mention that changing my texture streaming setting from "high" to "ultra" gives me an average ~5 fps boost in the benchmark and less stutter during gameplay.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  14. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Qte sequence?

15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    You really don't know, that's cool, I'll try to explain: every user interaction (unskippable animations), picking up components, dodge and melee fights, where you get a silly prompt that reads like "press F to pay respect", or where you have to button mash and there's a ton of other games that use it more frequently, use key combos and makes you want to die from 15 minutes of suffering, but that doesn't mean I have to like it and I'd much rather have full control over my gameplay, but since generic shooters and cinematics are king, I don't see quick time events going away...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019

16. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

No lol, I know what one is I meant where in the game I do'nt remember any

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Did nvidia got an async compute option after driver update?

18. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I wouldn't know, better to ask here: NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, TC haven't patched it in.