AMD Delays Ryzen 9 3950X to November, but releases Threadripper 3000 then as well

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    It could very well be the demand for EPYC that causes shortages of good chiplets for mainstream platform. No wonder AMD would choose to prioritize EPYC and delay 3950X.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    EPYC is where money at. Threadripper is just for kids to play with cores.

3. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Ryzen is for kids. Threadripper is for real men ;)

moo100times, Yakk, Undying and 2 others like this.
  4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Sadly it is the case in a lot of country: it take me nearly a year to get Athlon GE 200 + B450 motherboard !!!
    And now that i want to change my 2nd computer for a Ryzen 3*00 + X570 motherboard i will run with the same problem (right now both unaviable)...
    If i would want Intel / NVidia product it would have take 15min, just going down the street and come back (BTW the owner of the shop have the same problem with AMD himself for his own computer).
    I said it since a long time the biggest problem with AMD is that they chose the main target country and doesn't care about other... adding to it that they have few stock and you get in this crappy distibution.
    I sincerely hope it will change in the future.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    wasn't TR more for rich kid lol

6. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    What a Disappointment , I was looking forward to see the performace of the flagship CPU from AMD .

7. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    No, rich kids don't need it. Real men work for they're money. Good investments (TR) makes more money :D

That's what it is for :)

8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    AMD has been selling allot of chips
    [​IMG]
    I think it's normal, being TSMC the only fab making 7nm, that production is limited.
    Plus, Apple makes the Iphone CPU at TSMC too.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Honestly dropping GF, which allowed them to shop the manufacturing out, is probably the best thing AMD did. I think that's regardless to AMD's economic status at the time.

The entire point is that the demand for 7nm raises the cost of that contract so AMD can't purchase enough.

Also TSMC itself said D0 for 7nm won't be equal to 16nm until the end of this year. So the yields are currently worse and have been especially during ramp:

https://fuse.wikichip.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/vlsi-2019-tsmc-n7-yield-2.jpg

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Good investment is on the cloud, secured. Not in your basement waiting for the disaster :D

11. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    I think you guys rambling about the two top end CPUs of the line are either in low availability or in a 2nd case delayed a month are absolute minority of the customer base. Basic Ryzen 3k is for gaming mostly, and there, you can buy a overkill cpu already with 8c/16t with 4,5ghz boost its called 3800x. Avarage gamers will buy 3600 non x. Ofc in a web site like Guru3d it may appear "ppl are waiting" but honestly, its not the case. Ppl who want 3k ryzen in 95% of case have it, or can buy it.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    That's impossible to know. If AMD had been strong, it's possible they could have developed GF like TSMC kept going, and Intel's fabs (despite Intel's apparent problems with 10nm). But AMD had a chronic lack of money. In the end AMD has made plenty of semiconductor innovations over the years, alone or together with partners, so nothing says GF would have been doomed in any case if things had gone differently.

Intel and Samsung have been quite happy and lucky with their own fabs. Nvidia always relied on others, but Nvidia's history is quite different.

13. mannix

mannix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 ArmorOC
    Nothing unexpected, it was crystal clear from the beginning that a successful launch would have caused shortages almost immediately.

TSMC was under capacity in 1H19 due to many factors: Apple slumped sales which resulted in less orders (which probably gave a little more overcapacity to AMD, now it's gone), horrible manufacturing issues ("multiple issues in the past six months, including malware infections, the contamination of foundry processing chemicals that destroyed a significant number of wafers"), general semi industry slowdown (Trump's trade wars).
    There's not Intel in the bunch but almost all hi-perf mobile SoC is made today with TSMC 7 process: Apple, Qualcomm, Mediatk, Hisilicon.

Now here's where it gets ugly and probably uglier in the very next future.
    There I suspect (but I hope not) TSMC made another possible mistake.
    Having yields issues and not enough orders in 2018 they started working and planning more on the 5 than 7/7c/7+ with volumes for 2020.

It does make sense in theory, why not? Let's shrink it again and finally use EUV like hotcakes! Better is better.
    Well not really because they need the customers to have a good design that works at 5.
    Otherwise it's going to start under load capacity and all the 7 will be under stress.

At this very moment AMD should be ramping up the 4xxx series with 7+ and EUV.
    Is this happening? I'm not sure about that, bit worried about it.
    Didn't see any press statement bragging about the higher than expected yields from a major firm as usual in the past.

Check the conservative forecasts here:

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...v-7nm-risk-production-5nm-tapeouts-in-q2-2019

It's anything official but it's well known the 7/7c processes will have less capacity next year.
    The plan is to shift a huge part of the production to 7+/5 and reduce the throughput of 7/7c.
    To avoid shortages in the next 2 years will be crucial they get working designs and be able to produce good yields.
    Doesn't happen often, quite the opposite.

Everyone suffered setbacks and delays with EUV and so far only Samsung made tangible progress with good results.
    For TSMC it's almost a green field, the 7c process seems more a dry run for the real thing with 7+.

There are so many things that can go wrong, like a catastrophic event in Tokyo's area which could delay EUV tools for months.
    Or another employee plugging in a ransomware infected USB stick....

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...and-but-5nm-set-for-2020-volume-manufacturing

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/274874-tsmc-coming-back-online-after-major-virus-issues

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ization-improves-on-orders-from-amd-hisilicon

14. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Agree with this. I think the separation was due to trying to survive financially so they spun off their most expensive (but likely also costliest to maintain) parts to whoever would buy them (looking at Qualcomm Adreno...).
    GF has had a bit of a bad rap since AMD went 7nm with TSMC but actually they are doing some interesting innovations at 16-12nm with IBM and also new ARM chip design. Mubadala are making their canary sing a different tune to their success it seems.

Kaarme likes this.
  15. Take into account the recent trade war with China that the US has started and the unneeded "crap" quite frankly that has added onto AMD's business Workflow. In addition these recent product launches have all been part of new business models that have challenged competitors long keeping a stranglehold on their respective markets for years.

Everything is not always as it seems - there's always more than meets the eye ... don't take the situations of Global conglomerates personally :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2019

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Pre-production with production bios update bricked it. Had nothing to do with AMD or MSI production products.

Fender178 likes this.
  17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I was going to post something about this but forgot to. Thanks for reminding me. Very true. It is still MSI's fault for not saying what kind of board was it though. I watched Jay's 2nd video on this and he mentioned his mistake. However MSI should have said from the get go that this was a Pre-production board and not a retail board. Yeah Jay should have asked MSI if the board they sent out was a pre-production board. I feel like alot of tech-youtubers should get the retail version of the boards so they can test this stuff to tell us consumers about it before we purchase it and not this pre-production nonsense.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Personally i had an issue with the original video simply because his board bricked, which happens more often then people think during BIOS updates, and blamed it on AMD. Even blaming it on MSI, without knowing 100% the reason the BIOS bricked the board is not exactly fair. I had 4 of the same motherboard once, all the same revisions, all came with the same BIOS, all had the same CPUs and RAM. 3 of 4 updated, no issues, 4th one bricked. I don't know why it bricked, and when it got replaced, bios update worked fine. Could something have not been working 100% fine with that 4th board that had no issue until the bios update? I don't know. So who would i blame it on? CPU manufacturer? Motherboard manufacturer? Or the lottery of electronics? Personally i'd go with the lottery of electronics, for the same reason as buying something that is DOA, doesn't necessarily mean the product or company who makes it are bad, DOA happens.

19. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    So this 7nm shortage story is BS. Like I have said many times before. They are making enough of them, but they are not making them for Gamers as we are street-rats compared to those people who are paying 5x the money for server chip. Why sell it less for us. Just enough to make us want more. And today this news comes up:
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...aunch-due-to-unsatisfactory-clock-speeds.html

So yeah. This 7nm shortage is BS. Just typical AMD problems.
    Like I said earlier. AMD overpromised and underdelivered.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If there is no shortage of processors why wouldn't they just make enough to serve both markets?

What you're describing is literally a shortage lol

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019