RX Vega Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks ! (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    Didn't you read? I am using High preset which is console setting, fog is on medium on this preset. Volumetric clouds seem to be impacting CPU more than gpu and i dont have problem with that... (tuned bclk 3700x + ram 1911 IF)

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Try different WHQL driver and test.
    19.8.1-aug20 & 19.9.1 are WHQL

For me Best is 19.9.1 WHQL (Sept.10)

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah you actually meant the high preset, too commonly associating high = max or ultra I suppose so my bad there. :)

In my case hardware limitations are holding back another 30% performance if not more though, primarily DDR3 against higher-speed DDR4 but also overall CPU and motherboard features and performance from newer models over what this has is at least a 10% if not more now that Intel and AMD are competing a bit again in the higher-end segment.

SSD's both a boon and a negative, game doesn't really hold back so a HDD actually limits streaming and max speed keeps performance and asset loading in balance whereas even a mid range SSD has far more throughput although if the rest of the system can keep up and the game doesn't do anything too problematic it would also be a straight benefit having minimal asset loading times and pop-in but with the performance from RAM, CPU and HDD (And buses like PCI-E and such.) to keep things stable without hitching, stutters or frame rate drops. :)
    (D3D11 is holding things back a bit as does AMD's driver support for certain features though it's not too bad although it definitively has a minimum hardware spec that's a bit above many other current games for what it needs to perform well.)

Nice info on volumetric clouds being a CPU factor on your end as most of what I've seen and read makes it GPU bound upwards of a 60% performance impact for the ultra preset which is why it's the most common setting to recommend dropping down to "merely" a 30 - 40% performance factor on high or v.high instead.

EDIT: Though the benchmarks mostly come from the release version of the game thus it might differ at least to some degree over the 10 or so patches since and then there are likely at least a 3 - 5% difference from driver tuning though it can be more in some cases.

Newer hardware would likely also factor in particularly for AMD pushing Zen, Zen+ and now Zen2 getting better and better for both single and multi thread performance and also latency, RAM and overall performance and then clock speeds and other gains although sometimes testing is done on newer GPU's with a newer CPU and motherboard though it looks like Intel and the 9000 series are the more common setup here.
    (Still minimizes CPU bottlenecking though I suppose.)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    OnnA likes this.
  4. Mt441PL

Mt441PL Active Member

GPU:
    6700XT AIB
    My XT reference Vega 56 with 64 BIOS, if i am contributing correctly, nets me 1534-1580mhz actual while gaming after a very decent undervolt i practiced and going in many games. With high fan RPM i'm yet to have a temperature related crash (70c state - 58% or 64% but 58% is fine too). My P6 and P7 are stock with undervolt 1060-1070mV P6/P7. Oh, and 1000mV 1000Mhz HBM2 with just +1% power limit to give it an extra oomph. gpu temp highest in high-fps games about 76, rarely near 80, but HBM2 never went above 87c ever so blower really well (i keep it under 85c with my fan profile now. Not too bad either on dB side)

5. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  6. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Does anyone have BL3 so it can test with dx12, I think the performance is the same as Ark on dx11 vs BLdx11. Dx12 will bring the performane to the right place.

Just wish ark will upgrade the engine.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  9. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    What's going on on these games is this old dx11 or something.

Just played world of tanks and clocks are 1400 ish not normal 120+ fps 1440p. Even on heavy load games clocks are 1600+.

The water block is working well 50c max temp :)

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    Noticed on al the vids with Vega LC clock is locked at 1650's. default LC settings? Seems high for a P7 of 1677mhz

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    Seems to be a balance thing. If games not GPU heavy then clocks are lower. But also if game is PWR/GPU heavy then they can get clocked down.

World of Warships- 240-250w (1440mhz-1560mhz) not enough
    Superposition- 310-330w (1620mhz-1640mhz) too much
    Division2- 270-300w (1655-1670mhz) just right

Balance between load/pwr/heat

OnnA likes this.
  12. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    What I find stange on my vega and I must say having a waterblock is a huge upgrade, 240to260w clocks are 1550 to 1600mhz 1030v now from here on its disaster 330w to whatever it wants so 1725mhz set as max 1165mv cant set less or will restart driver 150% powerslider and clocks are 1645mhz on timespy. So max setings I an do is

1725mhz 1165mv and 1150mhz hbm2 timmings 2
    150% power
    I can see sometimes 370w

Vulkan on No Man Sky 1440p I get 70 to 90 fps all day ( great game btw)

From my testing having the card with 1500 to 1600 clocks and 250w is the best setings.

OnnA likes this.
  13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ^^ Cool & Quiet :p

14. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
  15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    You're faster than 94% of PCs in 3Dmark community :p
    I have 98% so we can Play games easy...

The_Amazing_X likes this.

16. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    I need a 3950 to get to 98% :)

OnnA likes this.
  17. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ^^ I Have Tess x8 (im mainly using this that way)
    To compare drivers, 3Dmark uses 32x for FS

When comparing drivers You need similar OC & settings.

Tesselation x8 has best Perf>IQ Ratio.

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    :cool:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  20. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    You have a point concerning 'similar settings'

But to me the less than 10% performance difference between no Tesselation at all and Tess x32 seems negligible. AMD has come a long way with improving the Tesselator performance since the HD5xxx-series... Even The Witcher 3 is pretty smooth with Hairworks at full in 1440p, which wasn't the case with the R9 290X for example...

And when it comes to Image Quality: It also depends on the resolution, and how 'close' the camera is to these tesselated objects. The higher the res the more a difference between x8 and x32 is getting noticeable. Though x64 is probably overkill even at 4K...

OnnA likes this.