Every monitor i try just flicker non-stop

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Ozozuz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Ozozuz

Ozozuz Guest

GPU:
    770gtx oc
    Hello guys, almost a month ago my "old" lg 29p 21:9 broke and since then i tried almost 5 different monitor, each with the same problem, terrible flickering in all the freesync range (and only with fs enabled), i tried many different driver for my vega64 and many different dp cable, including some expensive vesa dp v1.4.

I started with a Samsung C34F791, known to had some flickering problem in the past, terrible flickering in all the 48-100 range. (two of them, same exact behaviour).
    Then i tried a Samsung C34H890, way worse panel than the one before, but same problem.

Then i give up on 34p 21:9 and i tried a display that (according to ALL the review i found online) should be both flicker free and have no problem with freesnyc, the samsung c27hg70.
    I really really love this one, amazing color, good hdr, but again terrible freesync in all 48-144 range.

I changed driver, i changed cable, i used CRU to move the range to 143, i disabled the enchanted sync, used ddu every time i changed driver, made the registry fix to disable chill, no result.

I had 4 samsung display that all can't handle freesync in their extended range? I've never found any problems related to freesync and flickering for the c27hg70, what do you think?
    Thanks.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    It's probably the firmware bug Samsung is known for. Check for firmware updates. A workaround is to shut the monitor off then back on.

3. Ozozuz

Ozozuz Guest

GPU:
    770gtx oc
    I already update the firmare, i'm on the 1020.0 but i also tried the korean update versione (1021.0 or something like that).
    Nothing happen.
    Shut the monitor off and on doesn't help. :c

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i think you should replace the cables.

5. Ozozuz

Ozozuz Guest

GPU:
    770gtx oc
    As i said i tried many cables, including some of them that are good (for sure).

6. Dirty power? I've seen that cause that kind of thing. Have an electrician (or do it yourself if you are comfortable with such things) check out your power, grounds, etc. If that doesn't help, I would start looking for some source of interference. Not playing with high voltage traveling arcs are you?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2019
    Ozozuz likes this.
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    maybe port on the gpu is going?

Ozozuz likes this.
  8. Ozozuz

Ozozuz Guest

GPU:
    770gtx oc
    I really don't know, i tried both of them with no result, i'll try a different gpu soon.
    Don't know, never had any sort of problems with it, pc and older monitor have always worked flawlessly.
    I already tried moving the monitor in another wall plug in another room (even with a wall plug reserved for the monitor) but no changes.

Edit:
    As a simpler approach, do you know if this monitor (c27hg70) is know to suffer from flickering with freesync?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  9. So what happened to your old monitor? Try a different gpu, but if it isn't that then i think you have to start looking at power, interference, or some other environmental factor.......5 monitors with the same problem is quite unlikely.

Ozozuz likes this.
  10. Ozozuz

Ozozuz Guest

GPU:
    770gtx oc
    I assume normal usage, i can't find any big reason for it to broke.
    About the last 5 monitors, dunnow, the first (C34F791 and C34H890) where "known" to suffer flickering from time to time, but from what i were able to find online not on Vega (reason why i bought them).
    Then i moved to the c27hg70 only because it was a monitor known (i thought) to do not suffer from flickering.

I'll bring my monitor to some friend house to test it with their pc, i assume it's the only way to be sure.

11. Should tell you something. Strange problem for sure. Sometimes you just gotta grind through the troubleshooting process. Sounds like you got a handle on it.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    test it on another gpu/computer is best bet at this point

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    what happens if you use the onboard gpu?