Ryzen & Windows 7

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by testcy, Jan 17, 2019.

1. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    What a shame using windows 7 with ryzen or new gpus.

Agonist likes this.
  2. geronimo666

geronimo666 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI rx6800 Gam. Z T
    I don't get it. just don't read these kind of threads if it bothers you that much :rolleyes:.

I prefer win7 over latest MS spyware as do many.
    If we keep silent their BS will just become greater.
    I remember the good old PC days when stuff they do today would be unimaginable :mad:.

I run my R5 2600 with vega 56 on win7. works great. didn't notice any problems whatsoever.

I heard it doesn't work so well with 3xxx. hope that's not true :(.

regards.

Baws201 and ryegrass like this.
  3. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
    So far Windows 7 has been working absolutely fine with my Ryzen 3900x and MSI X570 Gaming Plus motherboard.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    geronimo666 likes this.
  4. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    Will I be able to install Windows 7 on B450 and RYZEN 5 1600 or RYZEN 7 2700? There are no Windows 7 drivers from the motherboard manufacturer.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Pay no heed to DW75, the chiplet design is completely transparent to the OS, theres no reason windows 7 would have issues apart from the early pcie correctable errors if the 2xxx and 1xxx worked.

6. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Windows® 7/10 for
    2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    7th-Gen AMD A-Series Processors
    AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    AMD X470 Chipset
    AMD X370 Chipset
    AMD B450 Chipset
    AMD B350 Chipset
    AMD A320 Chipset​
    Windows® 10 only for
    3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor
    AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor
    AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
    AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
    AMD X399 Chipset
    AMD X570 Chipset​

8. vrstudio

vrstudio Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    My first post for the sake to report this:

I have successfully upgraded my existing Windows 7 i7/920 workstation to an AMD Ryzen 3700x on a X570 chipset motherboard using the method ryegrass described earlier (on page 1 or in the video).
    No need to reinstall Windows 7. Just follow ryegrass' recommendations in his video linked above.

Ryegrass, many thanks for these valuable instructions. Without you I would bother with Windows 10 now.

9. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
    That's great news. Windows 7 appears to run just fine on the X570 chipset. If you haven't done so already, you might want to remove all of the old i7/920 drivers from your installation so they don't cause any future problems.
    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-easily-remove-old-drivers-from-windows/

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there are no such drivers, windows starts the necessary cpu driver (intelppm vs amdppm) based on the kernels identification of the chips opcodes.

The one thing that may be trouble is the IRST service that will max out a core when the required intel ahci driver is not loaded.

11. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to all the other drivers associated with vrstudio's old CPU/motherboard combination.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  12. SolelessSoul

SolelessSoul Guest

GPU:
    1080 SC
    Are you guys using x470 chipset drivers with x570 and Windows 7 ?

I'm also running x570 with 3900x on Windows 7 but I'm using x470 drivers since x570 won't work for me in Win7. But with x470 my CPU idle voltage never drops below 0.92 V and Cinebench score is 9 points lower that in a Windows 10 installation om the same machine with latest x570 chipset drivers.

So what chipset drivers are you guys using? Is it possible to run x570 chipset drivers in Win 7 ??

13. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
    Yes, I am using the Windows 7 AMD X470 drivers v1.09.27.1033 posted on the AMD website dated 9-27-19, with the exception of the USB beta X570 drivers here: https://yadi.sk/d/elVdi3YjM6M-7A for my MSI X570 Gaming Plus motherboard.
    The new Agesa 1.0.0.4 bios helped my Cinebench score (7045). Since I only use Windows 7 (balanced power plan) and don't overclock, I can't provide a comparison.

14. SolelessSoul

SolelessSoul Guest

GPU:
    1080 SC
    Thanks! I don't overclock either. When I set min CPU to 1% and max to 100% in Windows Balanced power plan, idle is around 0.9 V but never drops lower and my CPU stock fan keeps changing speed with slightest load. Min CPU any higher that 20% in Power Plan does not drop voltage to below 1 V.

I will be using a Noctua nh-d15 soon though...

Too bad that the voltage never drops below 0.9 in Win7 and performance is slightly worse than in Windows 10...

15. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
    I just checked my idle voltages are .919 @ 2.2 GHz (Agesa 1.0.0.4) with AMD Cool and Quiet enabled (5% minimum processor state). The processor state options are not there with Cool and Quiet disabled nor were they there on the two prior versions of my boards bios.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    CnQ is a family of P-States that are required to enable the processor in C0 to reduce clocks when idle.

17. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
    Thanks for the information. The processor states weren't available in Windows with MSI bios 7C37vA3 or 7C37vA4 with or without CnQ enabled so I thought AMD had eliminated them so they wouldn't conflict with their power management.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  18. SolelessSoul

SolelessSoul Guest

GPU:
    1080 SC
    I run Asrock x570 Taichi. Should I enable P states in BIOS to make it clock down further in Win7 without actually going into hybernation? Honestly I've never used any sleep modes, ever, so I don't know anything about them...

19. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
    Did you enable AMD Cool and Quiet in the bios (not just Auto)?

20. SolelessSoul

SolelessSoul Guest

GPU:
    1080 SC
    This seems to be MSI's feature. My Asrock doesn't have this. Only Auto, different overclocking profiles and manual.