Free to grab: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 18, 2019.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The thing is, calling these "exclusives" is something if a misnomer in my opinion. Console exclusives are proper exclusives since you need the physical hardware in order to play them. The same goes for Netflix or Amazon exclusives, since you need to pay for the service in order to watch them. But for PC "exclusives" you only need to download a free launcher - and in that case, are they actually exclusives?

If PS4 gamers could legally play XBox One exclusives by installing a free piece of software (and vice versa), then the concept of console exclusivity would go out the window. The same goes for Netflix or Hulu - if you could download a free and legal piece of software and watch exclusives on the other service then there's no point in calling the shows exclusives. The same should apply for the PC - if there is no physical or financial barrier to playing the games, then what's the point in calling them exclusives?

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Wow oh geez oh man guys, let's not turn this into REEEEE EVERY LAUNCHER THAT ISNT STEAM BAD

Let's talk about Grand Theft Auto San Andreas being free, and the fact that the Rockstar Game launcher is just a Chromium shell like everything else is now lol.

Turanis, airbud7 and warlord like this.
  3. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I agree. But the same goes otherwise, every other launcher than steam is great and steam should be isolated or dead. People need to chill out, a gamers' generation grew up with steam launcher so happily.

Anyway, time to play again that old golden game. :D

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While true, it is understandable. I personally prefer to pay for game and play. I do not like money to be extracted from me through delivering half content upfront and then DLC...
    They do that because they get something extra from users. It is not feedback on quality / on what players want... sadly.

If they add bloatware to game, then it should be benefit to user, not to them. Otherwise there is no reason to replace something that's already better.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    If you own GTAV on Steam then don't you have the Launcher installed already? Or is this a new separate Rockstar Social Launcher?

6. This

7. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Have they updated this version to work properly with a controller? I've had the PC version on.... Steam for years but it's just not playable with a mouse and controller and has no native usable controller support.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Thanks for the heads up...cheers! I'll grab this freebie.

Just for interest/debate, does anyone know what would happen to all our Steam content IF Steam were ever to shut down?
    - eggs in one basket !!/?
    (- same applies to other stores?)

9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I believe this is the mobile version so it should be updated for controller support.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well i claimed my free copy, but eh would rather it was threw steam, there are enough "launcher" more isnt needed but it happen seeing ever publisher under the sun seem to be getting in on this

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Please dude. I just use steam is all. Get over yourself. Anti steam weebs are as bad as steam fanboys.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Mmm, your body is so soft :3 Throw it at me again :3

(I use Steam at 95% of the time)

13. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    you're right it actually does work with a controller properly. Now I'm quite happy. Can't beat free and the other R* games I own could be launched that way if I felt like doing so which is a decent plus.

14. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Launchers everywhere,but no one talk about gaming&mods. ;)

Good game,but old.GTA SA,like Gta IV,need mods and do not forget about removed music from the original radio stations.
    https://www.gtainside.com/en/sananmods

15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Controller works perfectly. Just in options change keyboard+mouse to controller. Yes, there is an option there. Despite controller working with keyboard+mouse setting trying to confuse you but it is lesser and buggy in testing, I was like WTH camera is not moving at first. Rockstar trap.

16. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    Steam is the only platform you need. I was against it when it came bundled in a CS patch back in like '03 or something. After using it for nigh on two decades it is the only launcher I want or need and I didn't blooming want it in the first place. Everyone jumping on the digital distribution platform will just close off the markets.

I won't be buying games anywhere else other than Steam. I have games on all the other platforms but they lack the features of Steam. You would think if they are competing with each other, that the Steam clones would have at least most of the features.

17. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    It's not free, in fact it's counterintuitive calling it "free", because it's forced through DRM and you actually don't own the game, while at the same time you let them control how you are allowed to even enjoy a product as type of a backdoor even allowing them to collect data from you, which is the complete opposite of the meaning "free".
    By the way, if they would call it "Rockstar DRM" instead of "Rockstar Launcher", then it wouldn't sound that "free" anymore, right?

18. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Are you paying for it with currency?

No, then it's free.

So let's keep these rawr SJW DRM BAD posts out please.

warlord likes this.
  19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    LMAO. ahahahahahaha rawr SJW DRM BAD that made my day. :D

20. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    And don't take it personally but please keep SJ out of this discussion. It has nothing to do with it. A lot of the DRM solutions out there are effectively bad and rely on hidden device drivers that are not really device drivers at all and you can't uninstall them unless you know what you are doing. Being against it has nothing to do with SJ it's just common sense. I know it's cool to be against anything that looks remotely close to some sort of SW but all computer knowledgeable persons should be against a piece of software installing hidden device drivers (that are not device drivers) on their computer. In fact Microsoft should have never allowed such practice to be made on Windows in my book and such fake device drivers should have been considered as virus (which they are) and automatically deleted by Windows Defender.

I know you were answering to a post referring to clients like Steam requiring someone to be online to play their games and it's vastly different than other DRM solutions installing **** without the computer owner's consent (other than the consent to install the actual piece of software) and i actually agree with you and i don't mind having to log in to play my games (outside of when some stupid kids ddos Blizzard's game servers) but in your post you were kind of targeting being against DRM as a whole and i don't think i'm comfortable with that personally.

This said i never played any GTA game (for real) so i'll install the client and take a look at it. The name of the client (Rockstar Social Club) is ... let's just say rather 90ish.