HP Printers Sends Back Data to HP Though Instant Ink program

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    The day they work out how to do it they will get crap from me :D

Mesab67 likes this.
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    maybe people should just use basic printer drivers and not there bloated software that comes with it? then again we have ms doing the same thing.

Everyone and everything is send back data to companies, that includes smart phone in everyone pocket, but that is not made big deal out of.

Privacy is dead attest how we had prior to the internet.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  3. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    i am setting up a CISS for one of my canon printer, and also bought a CISS for a HP printer.

Bought the HP printer for $65. A set of 4 cartridges is....wait for it....$140.

Yeah no way am i going to support this nonsense. These printer companies are pricing themselves out of the market.

4. sherpagoodness

sherpagoodness Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ VEGA64
    I absolutely detest hp...this isn't a driver issue, this is baked into their shitty printers....I experienced this first hand a few years ago when my roomate had a basic hp envy printer (which i later bought the same model off woot for 40 dollars, and it hasn't even been worth that) and she was enrolled in the instant ink program, which it basically forces you to do whenever you unbox the thing and even if you don't want to they entice you by offering a few months free, which at first thought sounds nice. They send you ink and paper before you run out...well it's a recurring monthly charge and my roomate had a bad habit of leaving her credit card at the bar or losing it elsewhere so frequently she would get a new number. Well one day we go to print something and it won't let us because it doesn't have a fkn valid credit card number....OUR printer that we paid for in full, FULL of ink that we paid for, FULL of paper that we paid for would not let us print because our instant ink account couldn't authorize 6 dollars or whatever the recurring charge was and it locks the cartridges so only fixing your account or setting up another paid instant ink account would allow use of those cartridges in that printer (fortunately i found some more codes for a month or two free) but I was flabbergasted at how completely big brother that crap was.
    I've managed to go into mine and disable the usage sharing but I still monitor how much data it transmits and I have it throttled about as low as any other iot device in my house. This and the way they make you pay for a 'service contract' to continue to get bios updates for servers that are basically almost considered legacy is damn near criminal. I know everything is moving to SaaS but they've been gouging people since before it was unpopular.
    greedy mawfuckers....hope they go bankrupt

5. Canon is my go to these days......but CDK Global still makes us use some HP's :(

Clanger likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    >Packard Bell< used to be a swear word in IT then it was swallowed and shat out HP now the P is dominant again

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Everyone in the printing business will screw you in a way or another.
    My personal crusade was with Xerox.
    Yeah, that big company.
    Maybe was a regional situation, but they were adamant NOT to receive all my empty cartridges and told us that the warranty for our printers is gone if we buy toner from another supplier, rather than the official seller.
    Since the annual bill for Xerox products was insanely high, I did the unthinkable and bought from another seller, who sold us the same material and lower price.
    More to it, it was genuine Xerox, I've did my homework. Was a huge clearance stock and oficial Xerox store was keep it in the closet.

Then the waste container scheme was driving me insane. Big printers have a container for wasted toner. Xerox had a container in which all color toner was gathered and mixed - to make sure that it will be discarded- Epson has one per each colour- reuse, not throwing away expensive toner.
    The machine refuse to work when only one colour was under a certain threshold or the waste container was full.
    The threshold was bypassed by simply shaking the cartridge or changing the small chip who counted, better said overguestimate the toner level- those things I've discovered later on after so many frustrations.
    But the waste container was the bane of my existence- once full Xerox simply refused me to get rid of it or store it properly- told me that it was my business, not theirs.
    And our printers were spitting paper at a huge rate, and swallowed toner even at a higher rate. And asking for a waste container faster even .The solution came to me after I figured out that the one sensor triggered the alarm if a small clear plastic protrusion of the waste container was opaque or smeared with toner- pry it open, have it cleaned and put a small piece of tape on the container conduct leading to that protrusion. Doubled the life cycle and saved some money.
    And finally found out about this little dirty secret:

Was enough for me to keep away for life from Xerox.

8. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    There needs to be a law that simply bans the sale of peoples private information. Or at least give me the option of paying for a piece of software that doesn't track and report everything I do instead of requiring me to sign (click ok) an illegal contract (EULA) for each application giving away your rights to privacy. I say illegal contract because it is just that. Placing a massive (and optional) block of text between the user and an application all well knowing that nobody is going to read it makes the contract invalid in contract law due to lack of consideration.

What really creeps me out more than anything though is what happened to me the other day. Basically a neighbor was over and on the TV was a commercial for Simpli Safe security systems. Keep in mind that I have NEVER discussed this company, looked them up on the internet, or had anything associated with the company in my entire life until literally a 60 second long conversation where my neighbor said his co-worker got one of their security systems and i asked if he liked it, and he did, and the conversation regarding the topic was over...

three days later I get a mailer from Simpli Safe addressed to me (my full name on the address, not "resident" etc) in my mail box and it really creeped me out. This is the second time i've had such a thing happen.

The first was while driving a friend called and asked about some auto detailing stuff, and the topic of pressure washers was brought up. Conversation on that topic lasted about 2 minutes. the next morning i started getting pressure washer ads on amazon and other websites. Never once have i done any searches regarding them on the net. The one i bought i got from home depot like 8 years ago and paid cash. Creeeeeepy.

9. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    I got a black canon aio last time, hp were either white or with wireless, hapy with canon and im looking for a new one :)

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Always disable the sneaky open AP on cheap printers. ALWAYS.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Andrew LB if that's not creepy, I really don't know what is.

12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Will they also know about this printout below..?

[​IMG]

airbud7 likes this.
  13. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Doesn't anyone use a firewall?

The only thing I allow is the browsers.

Everything else is a big no no.

Evildead666 and Caesar like this.
  14. I pretty much use laser printers exclusively. Brother makes cheap aio color laser printers that are pretty darn bulletproof. All depends in your workload for it.

Clanger likes this.
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    That is not an HP printer Dude!....And for christ sake I hope she clean the glass when she was through!
    Now give me a copy of that image!.....for a friend you know/ not me....:D

Caesar likes this.

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Do you have Alexa or any of those other "Listening" devices in your home or installed on your phone ?
    Siri ?

The Security on my Brand new Samsung Phone is terrible.
    The SD card only "encrypts" itself when the phone is on, the Pin code cannot be set to random layout (that in itself should be criminal).
    I can't set a different password than the Phone Pin on Signal....

Some of this I could do on my older Samsung Phone.
    All except encryption I could do with CyanogenMod (it broke the Internal Encryption).

The Simpli Safe thing could be Neighbour or co-worker sending you the info ? (he might get a discount or something...)

airbud7 likes this.
  17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This is so true^......I just ask Alexa for my Daily Brief and Boom!/....The news and weather started playing.....
    I think they're spying on all of us I tell ya!....shhhhh! stay quiet y'all /they might hear us!.....

:p

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Glad I switched to Epson with the eco tank.

airbud7 likes this.
  19. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Certain i looked at the Eco tanks but they were expensive. Good idea though :)

20. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    I will NEVER have any alexa type device, smart tv, smart bog roll or any smart type device.