Metro Exodus

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scatman839, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just had another patch 150MB+, can't find anything on it though, at the mo.

2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    On extremme 1080p the best I can get with my Gtx 980 oc close to 1500mhz is 30 fps wow this game is Another Gpu crusher just like the previous metros! Wish I had some better hardware lol.

3. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    I played the 1st 2 Metros. Liked the games but not a fan of anything too close in/onrails. REALLY love Metro Exodus for the freedom of movement in the levels to explore etc. Replaying for my 7th go through. I may get The 2 Colonels. Have noticed some small fixes here n there of late since my 1st play throughs.. My lazer sights effects looks alot better now/more convincing. And when someone at distances is sighting in on me, I now see their lazers effect as they are painting me . Very cool.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I love setting the nappies on fire with the Tikhars Incendiary Ammo, as they start breakdancing :D

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Anyone managed to get into that bandit camp in The Caspian, behind the cave where you get into the lighthouse, by the water ?

Its bloody solid, ive managed to take out the 2x on the platforms up on the rocks, but when i start getting nearer, they start shouting at me to stop, and to po, then when i get even nearer, they just start lobbing grenades onto me, and killing me instantly, i can't even run away, as the grenades just land on my head every time, its bloody mental :D

Im wondering if its the place you have to get into with Damir, via another way. :p

6. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Founders
    If you mean that camp at the far top-left of the map, you can't get into there. You'll find out why later.

Rich_Guy likes this.
  7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Downloaded this from the Win10 Game Pass.
    So... anyway to get past the intro videos?

Also, I get the game is most likely recompiling the shaders... but every time you change a video setting, that takes some time to apply.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah i think its the top left one, thanks, i can stop trying now then :p

I never came across it on my first run through :D

If you press any keys, or click your mouse buttons (like i do :p), it'll come up, Press 'E' To Skip on them :)

If i change any video settings, it changes almost instantly.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Do you have it from the Win10 store?
    Because I've read that a lot of people are running into issues with that release.

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No, ive got it on Steam.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    There ya go. :)

Seems there have been some issues with Win10 version.
    From performance, loading, saving... the UWP port feels rather rushed.

But, playing it for basically free on the Game Pass... works until it comes to Steam. Then I'll buy it there.

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah i read about it having problems when it launched on there.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Gotten into it. Seems fine now.
    Stuttering in DX12 (surprise...) but not in DX11. Which... seems pretty much standard at this point for DX12.

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Do you have Hairworks enabled? AFAIK, the only stuttering in the game was caused by HW, specifically due to the shader compilation. DX12 in and of itself does not cause stuttering in Metro Exodus, but it might exacerbate it.

I played the game from launch up until the 3rd patch in DX12 mode and I never had any stuttering unless HW was enabled.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The only games I've played in DX12 that didn't stutter were Gears 4 and 5.
    Every single other game I've ever used in DX12 stuttered and hitched. But, don't in DX11. Including Metro Exodus. Same exact settings, no hitches.

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That's because Microsoft's UE4 variant is fully optimized for DX12, whereas most other engines are hybrids that are still mostly optimized for DX11. Like I said, DX12 or Vulkan doesn't cause stuttering in and of itself, but it can exacerbate it if an engine has inefficient use of resources. The 4A engine used in Metro Exodus unfortunately is lacking in efficiency. This is why I was hoping that 4A Games would release Metro Exodus on DX12 only rather than along with DX11, as they would have been forced to optimize the engine much more for DX12.

Shataan likes this.
  17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    True.
    But, I for one appreciate studios that try to support as many options as possible. Sure, forcing themselves to use only DX12 could've meant an improved development of the engine for the API. But, there's no certainty that would've happened.
    But, by supporting both 11 and 12, they give players options.

I can see both sides, and appreciate both sides.
    With the right people behind it, both sides can really stand tall. As with id, DOOM Eternal will be Vulkan only. DOOM 2016 was their test run, and Tiago used Wolfenstein 2 as a means of really pushing idTech6 hard into the Vulkan API.
    And, with idTech7... I think he's really gone deep and done his best to maximize the engine to get the most out of Vulkan.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Amd cards has no hitches in dx12. I didnt even try to run metro in dx11. Game like tomb raider performs like 30% better and its much smoother. I would say that game still has the best implementation.

19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    SotTR has great DX12 implementation, no hitches and performs better than DX11. Metro Exodus hitches only if you enable hairworks.

20. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    game is a 7.5\10 for me, i found it to be less interesting than the previous Metro games.
    finished it today.

graphics are top notch, guns are fun, some missions gave me some good scares, main story is decent\B grade.

voice acting is amateur.. like they try-hard or something, side missions\open map missions are forgettable and uninteresting,atmosphere is good but lesser than the previous games.

would recommend to wait for a good sale. that's just me on it :)