AMD Confirms AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA firmware with a Blog post

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 10, 2019.

1. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    AMD already got my Money Money Money in the shape of a 3700X.
    The boost issue Must be funny, but the ABBA patch should resolve it soon.
    However, In the rich man's world it would also be nice to swap it to a 3950X later this year.
    Ah, all the things I could do with so many cores...
    Then my computing experience would be Always sunny !
    Too bad there isn't A single penny left for me to buy it...
    So I must leave, I'll have to go to sleep.

GN G3D !

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. Cidious

Cidious Guest

GPU:
    6900XT + EKWB
    Save your pennies for Zen 3 mate. AMD explicitly noted they would be focusing on energy efficiency, and from that I can only assume they will shrink the I/O module to 7nm too now hopefully at 7nm+ which is responsible for 30% total power consumption of the current line-up. That would make a nice increase of efficiency and then think about slightly pushing core clocks a bit for a little bit of increased IPC on the new improved process. They already said the next series wont be focussed on increasing IPC much but mainly lowering power usage. Which makes me believe that they MIGHT increase core count instead.

What I think MIGHT happen is something like this:

3600-3600X 6 cores -> 4600-4600X 8 cores
    3700X-3800X 8 cores -> 4700X-4800X 12 cores
    3900X 12 cores -> 4900X 16 cores
    3950X 16 cores -> 4950X 24 cores

at roughly the same TDP and prices as the current line up. This would be possible if the 7nm+ process pans out as expected, looking at Apples Bionic 7nm+ results.

Ofcourse don't take my word for it. This is just assuming but it would be a logical next step for AMD and this would be really good for customers being able to dip into even more cores at the same price range since it will probably be the last AM4 line-up it would help with the life expectancy of your setup just upgrading GPU over time.

Lets see what they come up with next year.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    They'd have to completely change how their chiplets are designed to do this, or add 3 of them on a single package, which both scenarios are not likely.

fry178 likes this.
  4. Cidious

Cidious Guest

GPU:
    6900XT + EKWB
    Well then maybe no 16 core extreme variant or just an higher clocked one.

We shall see. I do think 8 cores will take the place of 6 cores. This is how they keep ahead of intel. Their margins on the 7nm+ process should be larger to still make this profitable. if they can make it work technology wise it makes sense in every way. Let's hope.

5. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Eh, I've to wait and cry in both, ASUS and MSI.

Not holding my breath on that one.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Gigabyte then has them across all their mainboards within a week XD

7. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I don't think I have seen reported speed greater than 4.2GHz for my 3900X at all since I got it, an any monitoring tool even Ryzen Master, so I am looking forward to this latest BIOS version and the new monitoring tools correctly reporting things (I don't have much confidence that current tools are reporting it correctly). Will see when I get updates. Am I supposed to get 4.6GHz? I'm a long way from that at 4.2GHz now...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    sounds like you misconfigured the power profile, the cpu won't boost period if you followed bad advice at set the maximum processor state to 99%

9. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Sorry, I was 1000Hz off... meant to say it gets reported as max of 4.2GHz.... when it should boost to 4.6Ghz.... !

No I never did those hacks people advised about max processor state. I am using the Ryzen Balanced... and I think Oculus Tray Tool switches it to Ryzen Performance when Oculus starts.

Anyway I will ignore for now... but if Ryzen Master or updated tools still say maximum boost is 4.2GHz after the latest updates, then I will not be happy. (the fabric won't even reach 1800 on mine... maximum stable so far is 1700 so memory is limited to 3400)

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    have you installed the latest chipset driver to update the ryzen balanced profile?

11. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I got latest from AMD site about week or two ago. Is this same as version that would be on ASUS site or do I need to go to ASUS to get special version for Crosshair Hero?

Also tried to use the AMD Update program that's in Windows 10 Start menu but every time I try to run it, it hangs then crashes... no idea why.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    naw, asus version is usually behind.

13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    [QUOTE="moeppel
    Not holding my breath on that one.[/QUOTE]
    Except most of them are already releasing betas, or my msi wouldnt be running on updated one...

@geogan
    Use regular balanced profile, the amd ones are BS and keep load higher than needed.
    I have set my power saving profile set to stay at 2.2ghz max, and cant tell a difference using win compared to ryzen profiles.
    Turn off PBO in bios, if ur using xmp for ram, turn it off and just set the clock/voltage for the ram, and see if it helps with IF clocks.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  14. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Actually it is the "ASUSUpdate" program that is in the ASUS menu in start menu that is ****** up. It actually causes a total freeze and BSOD in Windows 10 for me every time I run it. Does it work for anyone with ASUS x570 board and Ryzen 3x00? What is is supposed to look like - never opened for me ever.

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    I got away from any of the online/update software no matter what brand, i can easily check support site for updates, and dont have another program running in the background or causing issues..

Evildead666 likes this.

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Yeah, you might not want to trust that anyway if it crashes lol :)
    Bios to USB key and local update.

17. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    WHEA errors not fixed.

joe187 likes this.
  18. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Evildead666 likes this.
  19. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    The ones causing the pci-express correctable errors? I get those, they don't seem to cause me any real problems though.
    On my system i figured out how to trigger them to happen, just open up almost any monitoring program, such a cpu-z, hwinfo64, gpu-z, msi-afterburner, etc.

(ryzen 3600x, on b450 board)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    If you still have those errors as of AB, you need to RMA the cpu or motherboard (just do both)