HD size, just a quick check.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by The Laughing Ma, Sep 10, 2019.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Just bought a new 8Tb drive, stuck the drive in the caddy switched it on popped in to Disk Management.

Been a long time since I had to initialize a new disk so stupidly selected MBR instead of GPT. The display for the disk setup shows 2 x 2Tb drives which from memory is because I selected the wrong initial setup, but even so shouldn't I still be seeing all 8Tb? Spread over I would assume 4 x 2Tb drives?

Did a quick back check on the drive just in case I had been sent the wrong size, as I did read this in the reviews for the drive and it 100% it's 8Tb.

So any one know what I've missed? Have I been sent the wrong size of drive or have I missed something somewhere?

Using Win 8.1
    Using an IT CEO driver caddy (I have another one plugged in which does read a full 4Tb drive as a single 4TB drive.) Both are plugged in to the USB ports on the back panel I've test swapped the drives and caddys with no joy)

A bit lost now on what the issue is.

2. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Can't you re-partition the the hard drive to GPT?

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the caddy cannot address the size of the drives you're trying to use.

4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Open up a cmd prompt as admin, type in "diskpart" and hit enter

Then, type in "list disk", this will bring up a list of all your disks connected to your system.
    Type in "select disk x" x being the disk you want to set up correctly
    To confirm the correct disk, type in again "list disk" the list should show up again with an asterisk next to the selected disk.
    Next type in "clean" and hit enter (Warning; This will delete all the contents and formatting of your selected drive, you must ensure you've selected the correct drive otherwise you could lose data if you've selected the wrong drive or haven't backed up any data). Once this process is complete, your drive will be in a state as if it was new, uninitialised.

After all that, you can either format the disk from within diskpart or, for an easier time, use disk management and format the drive there as well as assigning your volume label and drive letter (and pick GPT so you can address all 8TB).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    386SX and Evildead666 like this.

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Its going to be a Sector size issue.
    You will have to format in GPT to be able to see the whole drive.

Only Intruder above has a good method of cleaning the drive, ready for re-formatting.
    Be very careful about cleaning the disk, make sure you have the correct disk selected!!!!

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Thanks to everyone for the assist with this one folks.

This seems to be the issue, got hold of an updated caddy that supports up to 12Tb. Arrived this morning, stuck the drive in, popped in to Disk Management and their it is all 8Tb on a single unallocated drive.

Thanks again.

Astyanax likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I had one with the exact same problem, except for 2TB drives, those cheap ones with card readers on the front are the worst for it.