AMD AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA BIOS That Should Fix Boost issues Spotted and Tested

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ABBA!

OnnA likes this.
  3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Mamma Mia - here we go again ...

yasamoka, OnnA, airbud7 and 4 others like this.
  4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Their versioning is confusing... They have 4 different digits, yet every release is just adding As and Bs to the end.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if this does actually solidify the results. What happened to the whole thing about preserving the lifespan of the CPU?

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

https://twitter.com/1usmus/status/1171123725133070337

This may actually lower the voltage & overall average clockspeeds - too early to say for certain now though, need to wait for the final bios's to come out and whatnot.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yeah, I'm going to wait for official benchmarks. Seems a bit weird that it'd be going in the opposite direction.

7. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's kind of hard to say what direction it's going in because the higher boost states on more cores that this bios enables does improve performance on the majority of workloads - the preliminary tests on beta's are showing that and even 1usmus (the dev of the tweet I linked) confirms that.

That being said they are tweaking the voltage tables downward and have been since the initial bios so there does seem to be some concern about reliability. What does that mean though? Are they concerned the processors will only last 10 years instead of 15 with a failure rate of 2%? Without knowing what AMD is actually aiming for it's kind of pointless to speculate.

9. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    You can't have drama without new AMD product being involved.

Do people think an ASUS employee would risk their position by telling a lie that the reason AMD did this was because of long term reliability. I don't think so. As we all know heat and too much voltage is what kills CPUs. I totally believe ASUS on this. AMD shouldn't have over promised and now they look like fools. They couldn't have just had a good competitive product, they had to do stupid bull marketing on their products boxes.

This totally misleading video is still online, btw:

I'm now waiting for the influx of AMD fanboy's who say this isn't a big deal and they are happy with their falsely advertised product because performance to them is just fine and it doesn't matter if AMD is in the wrong. Intel is the devil, blah blah.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Right but my point is if this ABBA version is supposed to more reliably reach advertised boost clocks, wouldn't that imply higher voltages? I know, it doesn't necessarily mean that, because Ryzen's performance is heavily dependent on temperature. What I'm thinking is if all cores can have their voltages lowered, that could give them the headroom to cool off just enough to reach the single-core boost clocks at a very high voltage, even if it isn't totally sustainable.

As for lifespan, in general, I personally don't think there's much to concern over. First of all, nobody buys a CPU like this expecting to run one instance of a single-threaded workload for an extended period of time. Frankly, the fact that anyone cares about single-threaded performance on this thing is kind of stupid IMO (I get that it's disappointing if your CPU isn't reaching the max advertised speed, but at that point it's more about principle than practicality). To my recollection, the CPU lowers its voltage as more cores are used (probably for the sake of maintaining thermals), so, in a normal workload that you'd expect this CPU to regularly work in, it should still remain in a safe voltage range.
    But also, it's not boosting the same core every time. Over the course of its life, each core will be heavily boosted, which helps spread out the potential damage. This is important, because each core slowly and evenly degrading over time is much better than having all but one or two of your cores fully functional, with the outliers being totally unreliable (at least in the perspective of the average consumer, who might not know how to lock out the defective cores).

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not higher, but better use of voltages.

these single core turbo's are supposed to be hit only when cores are literally sleeping.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I should publish a "Guru3D - The Drinking Game" where rule #1 is "whenever jwb1 posts that video, take a sip".

13. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    We should actually be taking bets on how many days it will take for AMD to remove it. If they even do.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If they haven't done so now, they probably won't ever.

Deleted member 271771 likes this.
  15. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Sad and probably true. Unless.... lawsuit comes.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I haven't tested the auto overclocking but as of this BIOS that video is accurate. PBO successfully brings multiple cores to the advertised boost clock frequency. Whether or not AutoOC can take you over that, no idea - but overclocking was never a guaranteed thing to begin with.

Edit: Yeah computebase shows a 3800x hitting 4.575 - that's punching above the boost clock. So that video is entirely accurate as of this beta bios.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    fry178 likes this.
  17. s88urd

s88urd Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Can you hear the trolls fernando?

fry178 and ZXRaziel like this.
  18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    We're gonna need more alcohol then. I've never seen someone repost a particular video so much, LOL. He probably has it saved in his favorites and posts it whenever he gets a chance - watch, the next thread about testing results and he'll post it again, along with the exact same message about false advertising and AMD fanboys.

fry178, ZXRaziel, airbud7 and 4 others like this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I suspect the real issue was that cores weren't being slept properly on the previous SMU which brought the power limit into play and kept the chip from boosting properly based on voltage limits.

by keeping cores asleep properly, boost can sustain, ramp and power usage would lower overall.

20. Well then, why don't you go sue them? Go bother AMD and leave the rest of us alone please.

ZXRaziel and airbud7 like this.