good and bad with max prerender frames 1 vs 8 ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by alexander1986, Apr 20, 2018.

1. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I certainly see a small performance difference in GPU-bound situations with Frotbite3 games. It's almost negligible now but used to be worse with my old PC (2500K + 290X and 1080p60 display + Win8.x --- which provided comparable framerates in that 1/4 lower resolution in this [now oldish] game).

[​IMG]

2. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Only if the CPU can't keep up.

Mda400 and Smough like this.
  3. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    ive always felt with prerendered frames set to 1 i miss so many easy shots. i dont even think its placebo. i stick with default now

4. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @CaptaPraelium So is it fair to say that setting the MPRF / Flip Queue value to 1 will only result in lower framerates / more hitching if you're CPU bound?

My understanding going off your comment above is that setting MPRF to 1 should have no adverse effects provided that your CPU is able to keep up with the demand of the GPU/provided the CPU is not the bottleneck.

In my own tests, it does seem that a value of 3 (the default) results in smoother camera motion for example (in Hunt Showdown w/ uncapped fps), but it's also true that the input lag is discernible at even respectable framerates like 70+.

I read your write-up on the setting on the battlefieldV subreddit and it seems you recommend a value of 3 (the default) when in doubt.

Is that what you use personally? I currently have an 8700K + 1080 Ti at stock clocks and I guess I'm simply unsure whether or not setting MPRF to 3 is worth it from a pro/con standpoint -- there's just too much information that I don't have to determine a "best" setting, but it seems to me that 1 would be not recommended since it disables render ahead completely which could mean idleing of either cpu or gpu (lower hardware utilization), so perhaps 2 if input lag is an issue and 3 if you don't notice/just want the default/recommended ro provide what the professionals deemed to be the overall "best" setting with respect to balancing input lag with smoothness/image quality/hardware utilization?

Thanks,

Smough likes this.

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I believe 3 is the default setting for the drivers anyway, so I don't think you are achieving any difference there.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    default is "use application setting'.

7. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    As far as I've seen someone say, 3 pre-rendered frames is the default setting for DirectX applications at least.

This may be what they meant, but may not have known it is API (and possibly engine?) specific.

8. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    ^ I agree because I remember some D3D and OpenGL games allowing us to adjust pre-rendering and/or swap chain (either by UI or by console). Can't recall if any Vulkan games make it optional.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  9. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    I've tried various settings but 3 seems to be a perfect fit for my hardware.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Use application setting is

"If Application Provides Value
    Use application setting
    Else
    Use Default"

basically.

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    This will benafit someone like me cause my Cpu is terrible and I have a high-end Gpu (at the time at least) Gtx 980 paired with it. I might give this a shot. I have a Fx 8320e.

12. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    1 vs 8? I only saw up to 4. However I cannot tell/feel the difference between 3, App controlled and 1 on a 240Hz monitor. They're all smooth as silk.

13. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    The problem is, when CPU-bound, adjusting pre-rendered frames seems rarely beneficial. The GPU is prepared to work but the CPU can't give it enough to do, and you get low GPU usage. I suppose that's one reason it's called maximum pre-rendered frames and not minimum pre-rendered frames. As long as the GPU can keep up, the queue doesn't fill up (which minimizes input lag).

Agreed, and if your CPU is plenty fast enough, it can wait until the last frame is completed by the GPU (or nearly complete) before preparing the next frame. I take it that's how NVIDIA's new ultra low latency mode works, and possibly similar (better?) than the old 0 pre-rendered frames setting we used back in the day.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    They should add pre-render frames =2 back in as that can be handy.

15. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    It may still be possible to use Inspector for that, but I haven't tested it personally. Try turning low latency mode Off and set 2 pre-rendered frames in Inspector. If that doesn't work, turn low latency On and set 2 frames in Inspector. (I don't yet know the behavior of low latency Off/On/Ultra on 2+ pre-rendered frames)

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    what seems odd, I play BFx (BF4, BF1, BFV) and in past every time I use user.cfg RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit=1 my fps get a hit and CPU load is higher, with not smooth gameplay.
    With these drivers H ave the global profile set to ultra and BFV runs good, so not sure what is going on.

17. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Do you play in DirectX 11 or 12? As far as I know the low latency setting doesn't have an effect in DX12.

Source: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/gamescom-2019-game-ready-driver/

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
  19. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    If the driver is forcing its own pre-render queue and overriding the game setting, I suppose it may have an effect on performance and input lag, even when you're talking about 1 pre-rendered frame in both cases.

20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    It does, you can check in the game with console commands. It seems the driver overrides the user.cfg edits or in the game settings.