Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This has been fixed since it was first observed, the OS will now reduce its reservation on pressure events, so long as you're on 1803+

Carfax likes this.
  2. SameOldx2

SameOldx2 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    Got this for $2 Cdn with Gamepass for pc. Nothing mindboggling, even in 4k, typical current-gen game.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Looks like it may have been RTSS v7.2.3 Beta 3's (MSI Afterburner v4.6.2 Beta 2) overlay that was making Gears 5 unstable on my system during cutscenes as I disabled it this morning (added it as an exclusion) and I was able to play the game fine, including several cutscenes without any issues. There was also no flickering during cutscenes which I mentioned were happening previously as well. This is the Windows Store version of the game by the way, presumably UWP.

Gears 5 seemed to be stable with RTSS v7.2.3 Beta 3 during actually gameplay but, for whatever reason, cutscenes would cause it to crash with a Video Card Removed error and code GW502. The annoying thing was that the game would save checkpoints just before these cutscenes so whenever I resumed the game then it would crash as soon at some point early during the cutscene. I got around this by playing past the cutscenes on my Xbox One X then resuming the game on my PC.

Now that I know a probable cause then I can play it without the RTSS overlay and (hopefully) the GW502 crashes. The game has its own FPS overlay anyway.

Doesn't look like the new NVIDIA drivers are out yet but maybe these will improve stability with RTSS?

4. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Bleh, I got mine yesterday and then refunded it. As much as I want to play the game, the download speed from the MS Store is just abysmal for me. I thought I'd play Gears 4 as well, but 135GB, wth... especially with low download speed?

I will probably get it on Steam. But then again, Greedfall looks good too! :p

SameOldx2 likes this.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I haven't played much. But so far, not seeing what everyone else is. Game looks average at best, visually. And aside from a robot that fetches like a dog, everything seems like the first 4 games. I can't shake the graphics. They look like the first game, with some enhancements to the engine, I wouldn't believe this was UE4.0 had I not read it. Cars still look last gen compared to games like FF15, Infamous, Spider-Man, etc. Lot of very low res textures scattered all over, lighting seems baked in, and the gameplay, so far, offers little in the way of new or innovating. Hope it gets better. I might just let it sit for a while. I've noticed I'm critical of games upon release and more forgiving months later for some reason. Like my expectations are just too high.

6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I believe the goal is to get a game running at 60fps native, while games like Spiderman use temporal reconstruction (which can be insanely good) to push the enveloppe of rendering a bit further while rendering the game at half resolution/75% resolution.
    The game is running extremely well on a lot of hardware, transition seamlessly from gorgeous cinematics running at runtime to gameplay.

The art direction of the game is what can make it look goofy/'video gamy' but it shouldn't overshadow the solid technical aspect of the game.

It's not a technical revolution masterpiece, it's a great game with solid gamepaly and everything running butter smooth, which can occasionnaly look amazing.
    While i was sceptical after playing the tutorial, 1hours in and i couldn't stop playing.

SameOldx2, signex and Serotonin like this.
  7. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Pretty much sums up how I feel about it as well after 3 or 4 hours of play, it can look amazing at times but definitely not groundbreaking, as you say some of the textures in places are very low res and the indirect lighting looks particularly bad to my eyes.

Seems fun to me so far though so i'll finish it.

Serotonin likes this.
  8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, Gears 5 is a good game if a little buggy in places even on Xbox One X - I got stuck at one point where I had to use the Flash ability but I'd already killed all the enemies so the tutorial never cleared off-screen and I was stuck as the next cutscene would not trigger. I ended up having to revert to a previous checkpoint. For the most part, the game is fun but, as others have said, nothing ground-breaking at least in the campaign. The story is good so far though with superb cutscenes that are never too long or intrusive but give the game a very polished and cinematic feel (I know some people hate this - it's a game that's meant to be played after all - but I enjoy having a break from the gameplay periodically to learn more about the characters and absorb the plot. It helps here that the voice-acting is top-notch IMO).

Serotonin likes this.
  9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Imo the game looks amazing, shame about the stutters though in cutscenes it was pretty bad at times.
    I finished the game this morning, i already downloaded Gears 4 and the first Ultimate Edition.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    will probably have to buy a copy for Unwinder for him to look at it at this rate, you know he hates buying games just to find bugs. Seems more like a driver bug though, RTSS shouldn't be stalling out the driver

The cutscenes are in engine, not FMV right? so its not even switching to a video render context, its all 3D Engine still :confused:

Did you have AB open too?

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    It seems that a bunch of stutter might be related to the ultra texture pack

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    VRAM exhaustion shouldn't happen on a 2080ti
    but the dynamic setting is best for current gen hardware.

13. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Dynamic res actually introduces stutter in some cases, Digital Foundry pointed this out. Don't use it if you don't need it.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    which should be alleviated with CFG off, which digital foundry didn't test.

15. SameOldx2

SameOldx2 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    I think the game is made to use all the vram you got. I'm using a 1070 with 8gig vram. In 4k with the texture pack, I use 7.7gig which is max for my card and it never exceeds it.

16. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    The dynamic res scaling works a bit strangely in this, has to detect a dropped frame before it activates which is what causes the stutter, cut scenes are far more demanding than gameplay it seems which is why it appears worse during them.

Digital Foundry contacted The Coalition about it and they’re investigating alternative implementations.

They also tested Control with CFG disabled and saw no improvement to the stuttering.

17. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Woke this morning to find that Gears 5 was being unlocked when I got online. Played a few minutes of the game at 3440x1440, sync enabled with everything below Texture at Ultra, and got pretty smooth gameplay, surprised me given that I'm using a VEGA64. I did notice that all 12 cores of my CPU was used (I believe), checked Ryzen Master and all cores (have mine OC'ed to 4.35Ghz) went up to between 4.3Ghz to 4.35Ghz.

18. BOYDIE-NI

BOYDIE-NI Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6600
    Not enjoying it, played around 3 hours feels too scripted and just feels like I'm following a path. Bored very quickly.

warlord and Serotonin like this.
  19. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I own steam copy of GOW5 (traditionally purchased it yesterday just to see that everything works) and cannot either confirm crash or promise any fixes.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    more UWP bs maybe :confused: