Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    OK I just finished the campaign on experienced difficulty. This game is the best Gears game by far, and action packed to the brim. This game captivated me for hours and the fact that I finished it so quickly is highly unusual for me, because I usually take weeks and months to finish games as I have so many real life responsibilities to distract me. I've actually missed sleep these past few days, that's how enthralled I was by this game. I recommend playing it on "experienced" if you're familiar with the mechanics of the game, as it is quite challenging. It's clear as crystal that the accuracy and intelligence of the A.I was improved dramatically over the previous games, because I don't think I've died so much in a Gears game as I have in Gears 5 :D The types, numbers and combinations of various enemies they put you up against and how they coordinate with each other is truly impressive. To be honest, I can't even say that Gears 5 is strictly a cover shooter game unlike its predecessors, because the game now has so many ways to force you out of that mold.

And whatever you do, don't neglect Jack. That robot is a lifesaver and will quite literally save your bacon, especially if you're playing on experienced or insane difficulty.

The fact that the game is a technical showcase is just icing on the cake. As talented as The Coalition is, I can only imagine what they will do with Gears 6 on a more updated version of UE (perhaps even UE5) and the next generation Xbox as the target system without the base model Xbox One holding it back :eek:

My final score for the campaign is a 9.3 :D

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    well , i'm about to finish ACT 2 and Del died while i was about to open a door then i got stuck :D

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    If anyone is experiencing stuttering in this game, it probably has to do with the game's dynamic resolution scaling being on according to Digital Foundry:

Undying likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Wow rx580 is 20% faster than 1060 in this game, smashing. :D

warlord likes this.

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    One more example of true dx12 gpu vs a baked one. ;)

Undying likes this.
  6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Yeah that's a large spread to be sure. I'd say most of it is due to the game's robust GCN optimization, and the other is because NVidia hasn't launched their release day driver yet. Actually, you can't even select asynchronous compute in the sub menu if you're on an NVidia GPU at the moment.

And this game leverages async compute very heavily from what I understand, processing almost all of it's post process fx on it. I hope that next week's launch day drivers will turn it on for NVidia users. Async compute increased performance by about 7-8 FPS in Gears 4 (at least on my Titan Xp), but where it really helped was in keeping the minimum framerate up.

*Edit* I think that 20% figure is from the benchmark and not the game. In the actual, the performance should be much closer.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Undying likes this.
  7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That's kind of a ridiculous assumption. If you had said that about Maxwell GPUs I'd probably agree, but Pascal is a fully fledged DX12 capable GPU. Gears 5 is definitely an AMD optimized title, as there was a lot of collaboration between AMD and The Coalition for the game.

That's why AMD had their launch day driver out so much earlier than NVidia, which is unusual.

That figure from DF is also for the benchmark and not the actual game itself.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Why are we even discussing old GPU's, is the RX580 not 2 years old and the 1060 over 3 years old now?

Afterburner causes the game to crash, but i'm assuming there is no MGPU support in this.

I have a feeling there never will be as well, which would be a shame as GoW4 had a great implementation and i could max the game at 4k/30.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    At the beggining of the video Alex even said how benchmark is pretty good representative of real gameplay performance and how detailed benchmark is. He also said async will be useful for turing not pascal so i would not expect big increase.

10. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    The fact they removed Async Compute for nVidia cards is bullshit. GW4 had it. And nVidia cards, especially newer Turing cards, work well with Async Compute. So apparently AMD needs to force developers to remove options to try and make their performance look better against nVidia.

11. michael_d

michael_d Member Guru

GPU:
    FE RTX 2080 Ti
    Is Longshot (Sniper rifle) ammo replenishable via ammo crates or another rifle pickup?

12. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Maybe the option will be available with the upcoming GRD.

13. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Nope.

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

I would say it looks better than Gears 4 but nowhere near a "generational leap" you claim.

I mean, in some areas the game improves on the previous one but then in other areas like I mentioned it actually scales back.

Take a look.

If this was the increase going from Xbox to say Xbox 360 I would be pissed off lol

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's not the 90's anymore though, we are at the point of diminishing returns so while something might be 100% better from a technical point of view, the end end result is something visually quite subtle.

Only watched some of the DF video but i saw some OSD stats, it's Sat night and i am quite pished but is it just me who can't get Afterburner working with this?

Darren Hodgson and dark_surge like this.

16. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    This is actually an interesting point. "Diminishing returns". One could argue that we have been at this step since the PS3 days going forward. I wonder when or if we'll ever get something as revolutionary as going from 2D to 3D again. Maybe the jump to true virtual reality? Like in the movie "Ready Player One".

17. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Ive been playing the whole time with afterburner on no issues. v7.2.2 if it helps

18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It's not removed (you can still enable it in the ini settings), it's just hidden until NVidia get their GRD out next week. The drivers have to be tweaked because the async load is heavy in this game.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    These are the gpu's being used by the majority right now.

It's not removed, its been disabled to minimize problems, pending a driver that has been tested by nvidia/TC extensively.

That driver might be 436.3x

20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I don't think that was a good comparison video. He focuses on a shared map between the two games which was likely just reused for Gears 5 after a few tweaks and improvements (and nitpicks a few textures). He also fails to mention in that same map that Gears of War 4 uses baked shadows, which always have a higher quality than dynamic shadows as they are pre-computed on powerful machines. Also, he fails to mention that the Gears 5 map has SSR whilst the Gears 4 map has none.

Honestly, the Digital Foundry comparison is much much better as it goes into a lot more detail.