Windows timer resolution tool in form of system service

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    CPU-Z has a new tool named: " Timers " You will find this tool in the " Tools " drop down box located at the bottom middle of the program window.

This Tool displays the clocks, their values and allows you to run a test upon them.

This tool was introduced in V1.84 and is available in any newer version of the software.

Start the tool and let it run. When you stop the test all your timer values should match.
    If they do not match, that is when the troubleshooting begins.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html#version-history
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

SputNick and oldgregg like this.
  2. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Guest

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA
    This is very interesting.
    All my timings match....but what does this mean??

Any help and explanation would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I tried CPU-Z timer tool and not really sure I understand, when I open it I get at top

ACPI timer 3.580 MHz
    Perf timer(QPC) 10.000 MHz
    Sys timer(RTC) 1.000 KHz
    running test just shows the time increase and the same values above.

PS: "save report" has a lot of info in it.

5. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Think of these timers as the beat in a song. The beat keeps all the other instruments in time with each other.
    The clocks above have to work together in the same way to keep the software and hardware in sync to move the data around inside the motherboard and the exterior components connected to it.

Have the test running in the back ground while you put your computer through it paces. After you are done using your computer (such as playing a game) stop the test. All the test values shown below each clock frequency should be the same value.

If they are not then some troubleshooting may be required. It may be a particular piece of software, It may be that your overclock on your PC is to severe. It might be an issue with your motherboard or insufficient power from the power supply. it could even be a bad clock module.

This is a test to see if anything might be happening in the background that may be affecting your computer performance.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ok, Thanks for the explanation.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I just noticed in powercgf.exe energy report - Origin requests 1ms timer resolution:

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
    A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
    Requested Period 10000
    Requesting Process ID 9180
    Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume8\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin.exe

I will check the Steam and UPlay...

Update:
    UPlay does it too:

A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
    Requested Period 10000
    Requesting Process ID 8248
    Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume8\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\UplayWebCore.exe

Requested Period 10000
    Requesting Process ID 3116
    Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume8\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\upc.exe

Update:
    Steam does it too:

Requested Period 10000
    Requesting Process ID 2252
    Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume8\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\cef\cef.win7x64\steamwebhelper.exe

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    BetA, Xtreme512 and akbaar like this.
  8. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Usually the lowest timer requested is applied. If you apply 5ms with ISLC and run steam, the timer will be at 1ms because steam requested a lower timer.
    I recommend to not play with this setting as most app/games are dealing correctly with this and is not really necessary anymore.

BetA, Xtreme512 and Jackalito like this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I saw people using your ISLC to experiment with different timer resolutions and stating that it is not necessary to crank the resolution to the maximum ("0.5"), that "2.0" or even "4.0" ms is enough. And then they launch game from Steam, UPlay or Origin being unaware that their selected sensible resolution was overwritten to "1.0".

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  10. Ema prowler

Ema prowler Guest

GPU:
    amd radeon hd 7770
    error whit first.
    "Cannot start service from the command line or debugger. A windows Service must first be installed(using installutil.exe) and then started with the ServerExplorer, Windows Services Administrative tool or the NET START command."
    I can't install any,
    none works, I'm on Windows 10
    error STR:

-----------------------------------------------
    sábado, 30 de mayo de 2020 19:14:21

PowerShell version = 5.1.18362.752
    CLR version = 4.0.30319.42000

------------ Setting current working location ------------
    'C:\timeresolution'

------------ Checking binary file ------------
    SetTimerResolutionService.exe

------------ Installing new instance of service 'STR' ------------
    [SC] OpenSCManager ERROR 5:

Acceso denegado.

Unexpected error
    New instance of service 'STR' failed to install
    En C:\timeresolution\Install-STRService.ps1: 109 Carácter: 11
    + { throw "New instance of service '$servicename' failed to ins ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (New instance of...iled to install:String) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : New instance of service 'STR' failed to install

------------ Collecting events generated since script started ------------

11. empleat

empleat Member

GPU:
    geforce 780
    Wow this is so good, i am gonna try this. Microsoft should implement this, because according to some article megawatts are wasted, because timers running on low resolution (0.5ms), because browsers like chrome e.g. And it is true, on global scale, it will be megawatts probably. I checked wattage and it was like 5 wats difference, or something Problem is how many people download this, or even be willing to be to try this, like 5000 ? Normally windows has dynamic tick by default, but i don't know if browser is open, it will probably still crank it up. Like you alone > microsoft don't know what to say... Actually it is kinda mind boggling, that they don't introduced it.

Games usually put it to 1ms, like cod, or cs go for example. I used between 0.5 and 1 ms and i prefer 1ms, 0.5 ms capture even smallest movement and makes mouse hard to control. But i wouldn't go above that, that's to high input lag!

Btw there is also gaming utility GameFire lets you change power plan upon game launch and restore after, there are some free programs, but they had absent Ultimate Performance plan. And problem is in games, if you don't use ultimate power plan with disabled idle saver, which keeps cpu at 100% load at c0 state, switching between states introduce input lag.

Also i don't use c states, because even if i put Ultimate Power performance plan, i felt more input lag.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You have to launch PowerShell as administrator, and then execute "Install-STRService.ps1" script from within PowerShell session.

13. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    I noticed a strange behavior while using the CPU-Z "Timers" tool.
    Every 2-3 seconds all 3 timers stop for less than a second and then they start counting up again.
    Is this behavior normal?

Also, RTC is always lagging behind by 0.12 sec.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You should ask that to CPU-Z developers. We can only guess what exactly those timers show us - should they be close to actual time? or should they be close to each other regardless of the actual time?

15. vigan1

vigan1 Guest

GPU:
    HD615
    Hello guys. Have you ever seen a QPC Timer at 1.570 MHz ?
    I have this on my 7Y30 laptop, it's half the normal TSC at 3.2MHz.
    Thank you.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    This thread is not about QPC. I see that you asked in HPET thread - there you should get answer.

17. vigan1

vigan1 Guest

GPU:
    HD615
    Sorry, thank you.

18. MakeHate

MakeHate Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660ti
    [Written using a translator]
    And i have this problem.
    Faced with a problem that I can't solve, I ask for help or advice:

Characteristics:
    Ryzen 2700, 4.0 GHz OC.
    MSI B450 A-Pro Max, the latest BIOS.
    1660ti Ventus OC.
    Goodram Iridium 3333MHz CL15 OC, 2x8GB.

The problem is with timers. By default, HPET is disabled and everything is fine, however, I found a problem that in CPU-Z data for all timers does not converge and there is a "stutter" when testing these timers every 3-4 seconds for a fraction of a second. ACPI and PCI converge, but RTC lags behind them sometimes from 0.12 to 0.36 milliseconds. As far as I know, they should go perfectly straight. I've tried a lot, dozens of different commands and actions related to bcdedit /enum and the like, including the debugging modes tscsyncpolicy Default / Legacy and Enchaned.

Can you help me?

19. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    We both have an MSI motherboard (MSI X299 SLI PLUS), I wonder if that's the reason behind this behavior.
    That being said, the RTC being out of whack doesn't affect gaming performance on my system.
    I reported it because I like having everything in check and working under optimal conditions, it could be a CPU-Z bug.

MakeHate likes this.
  20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @MakeHate
    @artina90

And another thing: it does not matter if RTC timer is not synchronised with other two in CPU-Z, it would be much more strange and bug prone if RTC timer was faster or slower than other two.

MakeHate likes this.