Review: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming X , NVIDIA has launched graphics cards in their new Super series, as in super-charged. GeForce RTX 2070 Super, of course, is based on a Turing TU104 chi...

Review: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming X

Caesar, tunejunky and Maddness like this.
  2. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    so 2070 super are a 1080Ti+ for cheaper than what the 1080Ti was back then ? and people complain all the time :p
    nice review as always guru3d my go to for clear and efficient reviews

3. Segamon

Segamon Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    you don't get it do you? it's so hard to keep up with you guys sometimes.
    the complaints are valid, the 2070S is what the original 2070 was supposed to be and its price was expected to match that of the 1070 on launch. Nvidia decided to standardize new prices since there's no competent competition in the market and because they can.

our hopes that Intel and AMD, with time, will turn the table on Nvidia.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    And you would be extatic to pay 650$ for 3070 when they come out right because it will likely be faster than a 2080 right? And so on.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    These cards aren't meant for people who have a 1080ti. This has always been the case going from a older gen to the next step up.

Barry J and Maddness like this.
  6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I really like MSI's fan designs with the Turing cards.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Fast and good looking card but 550Eur is really steep price. Not worth it.

maddog55 likes this.
  8. sharkeer

sharkeer Guest

GPU:
    MSI N250GTS Twin Frozr
    I noticed 5700xt is really fast here often beating out 1080ti. I have look quite alot of benchmark in youtube and 5700xt not really that fast. Am i missing something?

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    another great job HH.
    this (rtx2070S) is a proper xx70. the performance is (imho) out-of-the-ballpark as it smokes the 1080ti (adding in power efficiency) and costs far less.

Nvidia lately has had the bad habit of leading with their chin, instead of with proper products properly priced. thanks to the rivalry with AMD, Nvidia is showing their worth at reasonable (i.e. NOT rtx 2080ti) prices.

10. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    sorry if I was misunderstood I meant "for people who wanted a 1080Ti but couldn't buy one then the 2070 super is the 2019 version of it"
    didn't mean that releasing it after the 2070 was fine nor that it was cheap
    just that in 2019 you can get a 1080ti perf for less money than when I bought my 1080Ti and that is a good thing for someone who wants to play in 1080p
    two nice videos from a channel I recommend to compare videocards
    it's not the MSI card but gives you an idea about 2070 super performance

if anyone is interested he is using MSI afterburner+rivatuner for that GUI, you have to do a bit of configuration to have a nice layout
    the lower graph is frametime, the spikes usually mean stutter or screen freeze, it's not really a problem in recent videocards but when you combo a tough game like Metro with an older gpu + high resolution frametimes can become really bad

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Great review Hilbert!

naming scheme is crazy with nvidia graphics cards now...we used to have ti version of xxxx card and it preformed in between the next number and the said card...Now we have a Super card that performs better than the higher numbered card.
    ie: Gtx 2060 super vs Gtx 2070 ....

12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    I'm just thinking about the performance of this card (cost-wise compared to my 1070 ti price @ the time i bought it)...

This card is really the right one (performance v/s cost)

I feel sorry for myself.....when new card like this appears :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  13. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    GPUs are so expensive and slow relatively to price. When the prices will go down? It is boring to just wait and wait, but either you give up and pay the cost or they give up and lower the price. I do not want to pay 500 euros this time for a decent upgrade (from GTX 1070), I want to pay less and I will not pay anything before I get more with less money.

jbscotchman likes this.
  14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yeah I miss the days when you could get a good performing mid-range card for $250 and a high end card for $350-$400. $1200 for a 2080 Ti is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

-Tj- likes this.
  15. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Im just glad my 2nd hand OCed gtx970 still holds. I play 60fps 1920x1200p and it works nicely. Take metro exodus.. I Had 60fps on High with teselation disabled and grass shadows disabled. It looked kick ass. Basically, it can play games just nicely, so I can wait. Im not the type of person who gets depressed when "all sliders are not to the right" ... maybe because Ive starter on ZXspectrum+ so I aim for gameplay mostly. If its smooth, and doesnt look downright ugly, Im cool with that. Saved me few 1000s of USD

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Try playing Control on a gtx970, it would be surprising if it runs more than 30fps medium settings. Quite a few games already can push cards like 2070S even on 1080p.

17. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    I know that the game has terrible optimalization, same as previous games from the company.

I dont have a urge to cash-force my way thru a messy engines.

If there is a great game (prefferably more than one tho!!) with top gameplay, and really nice graphics I want to play, and I will not be able to do so because of 970 - I will consider update.

Control is not such a title.

18. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Year ago price situation wasn't this bad, because games of 2018 are less demanding in general, while many games of 2019 seem to be quite demanding. I predict many game studios prepare to release their current games that are on current generation consoles for the next generation consoles as well, so they make those games in a way they can be visually scaled upwards with little effort.
    Now we are at the phase where you want to upgrade, because games are demanding and you might have gotten 1440p or 4K monitor or plan to upgrade to one, since 1440p monitors are getting cheaper and cheaper. It is very likely a completely new build will be paired with 1440p monitor, so this resolution's adoption rate will accelerate very soon. On top of increased resolution new consoles are in the horizon and you really don't want to be in a corner as a customer, where you bought a hefty GPU in 2019, but in 2020 with the new consoles, games get suddenly dramatically more demanding.
    Given all this, I could accept paying 500 € for a new GPU if it would be guaranteed to last and max out games at 1440p for the next three years, but that is certainly not the case, which I can personally guarantee. The reality is you either buy a new extreme GPU like RTX 2080 Super and play happily with it without any money left or you get 500 € GPU and will struggle probably already next year (at 1440p). Any 300 € GPU is not even a proper upgrade over something like GTX 1060. Needless to say, the situation is very anti consumer if one is able to peek into the future.

I got my hopes up with Navi and it really turned out to be a very good chip. Navi cards have no issues, but unfortunately despite them being relatively very cheap to produce, they cost very much. It seems AMD has separate managements for CPUs and GPUs, since Ryzen 3000-series remains as great value, but Navis' value is poor while GeForce cards' value is bad.
    I'm quite lenient guy, so I would even accept paying 300 € now and 300 € again after two years, but no, you cannot get even a slight upgrade over GTX 1070 for 300 euros. I cannot fathom how stupid the business currently is. There are many people, statistically proven, like me, who have GTX 1060/1070 level of a card, willing to upgrade their GPU with at least 300 € in their pocket, but what AMD does with low cost Navi chip is the exact opposite of sensible. They have to realize soon that they need to produce the chip in vast amounts and just drop the price of RX 5700 XT at 350 €, so they will sell like crazy, I'm sure of this.
    Before this price drop, everything is stagnant, money doesn't flow anywhere, you install a game like Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and realize your GTX 1070 cannot maintain over 60 FPS with highest settings (at 1440p). Naturally you can lower settings, but in visually impressive games with beautiful vistas you really don't want to sacrifice graphical fidelity, unlike in games like Dirt Rally 2.0, where the graphics don't matter nearly as much.

An unfortunate situation for everybody this is. AMD please wake up!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  19. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    I don't see the point of paying even $1 over 500 for a 2070S with the reference models being as good as they are this time around. I've always liked the aesthetics of the Gaming X and build quality was solid on my 1070 but the FE cards do a good job at cooling, are silent, cost less and have an even better build quality. The overclocked 2070S FE reviewed on this site even beat this overclocked MSI 2070S, scoring 10733 to 10601 respectively on Timespy. Good riddance to crappy blower reference designs.

20. nutz

nutz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Super
    anyone knows when this is going to be available? I've been looking for a MSI 2070s SG X Trio but can't find any available for close to MSRP...this would work however...