Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Lol yea the difference is very little.

I have a mix of ultra/high/v-high at 1080p, lowered things that didn't make a big difference. I capped FPS to 60 and play with controller, game looks really good.
    And yea the benchmark isn't a worst case scenario at all, there was an big crowded area and it barely hold fps at 60.

Sometimes the game gets stuck on a loading screen, and got 1 crash so far.

EDIT: Have to check that HDR out, i think i missed it in the settings. Though my monitor only has HDR400.

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    how did you enable it ?? it didn't work for me with windows desktop HDR is on !!

also this game is kicking my cpu's ass real hard ( 7900x delidd under water) , insane campaign and one of the best ever

3. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Whoa, this is a return to form. Love it! Looks, runs and plays beautifully. That's my weekend sorted.

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Oh i am playing this on the XBX, i gave up long ago on getting HDR to work correctly on my pc.

Serotonin likes this.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    How is it kicking your CPUs ass? The game isn't very CPU intensive at all. The only time it puts a strain on the CPU is when the game itself is loading.

6. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ''Minimum frame-rate = 60'' means it uses dynamic resolution to maintain 60+FPS. Disable that, use insane settings and feel the impact :p It's way better than Control with it's blurry IQ.

7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    After that stupid windows update that causes cpu usage spikes things got weird even after i removed it , my version is windows store

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Game plays like a dream at 1440p Ultra settings (insane is just silly and adds next to no IQ), Getting between 90-160fps I have just gotten out of the lab with the gas in the snow area.

Gameplay it self is great, and in some areas it does look impressive. HOWEVER, its 2019 and the texture work on some of the environments looks insanely low, to the point where some things don't even look textured (and i downloaded and enabled the HD texture pack too). Things like dead bodies, car number plates, and general clutter are extremely low detail. You can seriously tell they have scaled back in some areas as they wanted to hit 60fps on Xbox One X on all modes.

Cut scenes is where the graphics are at, they are all rendered in engine and increase the IQ tenfold over the in game settings. Character models do look ok in the game but in those cut scenes they are really something else. Motion capture is on point too.

I have had a few issues, I found a few areas where the character will clip through objects and literally stand inside them, I also found multiple areas where if you turn the camera to a certain angle you can see parts of the map are unfinished and you can see into the void of the game world lol. Also some of the A.I scripting simply breaks, at the start of the game I had to open a vent/grill in order to progress and I needed the girl in my team to be the one that opens it with me, I was walking around for ages not knowing what was going on I turned around to see she was stuck standing still behind a wall not moving at all. I had to go over and stand by her and she eventually slide out from behind the wall all whilst standing motionless LOL it was near game breaking and totally took away from the immersion of the game.

Some parts of the game seem very rushed and unfinished in that respect, but its still a fun game its just nowhere near the graphical showcase some people are shouting about. Really doesn't look much better in game than Gears 4 did.

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Sorry to hear that. Strange how that Windows update affects some people and not others. I haven't had any problems with it at all luckily enough.

10. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i think it's Easy anti-cheat going crazy , not much else

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I think it was more the base model than the X1X. The base model only has 5GB or so for games out of its 8GB, and the X1X has 9GB out of its 12GB memory pool. That's a big difference, so most textures were developed around the base model and not the X1X.

That's why the X1X does not have the ultra texture quality like the PC version, because the ultra textures needs at least 8GB of memory for VRAM in addition to other graphics related data like shaders (although shaders are tiny by comparison to textures). I don't think we'll see full 4K textures in a Gears game until Gears 6, which should be developed around the next generation of Xbox and will have at least 16GB of memory.

You can't be serious! o_O By any means, this game is a massive leap over what was shown in Gears 4 in practically every respect. In my opinion, Gears 5 looks a full generation ahead of Gears 4. The character models got a 50% increase in polygon count. While volumetric lighting was used very sparingly in Gears 4, it's used everywhere in Gears 5. In Gears 4, the particle system was locked to 30 FPS even on the PC version. In Gears 5, that limitation is lifted and there are particles galore. Gears 4 did not use tessellation, whereas in Gears 5 it's used all over the environments. Gears 5 uses ray traced distance field shadows so that the draw distance for shadows extends far out from the camera, whereas Gears 4 used no such system. In Gears 5, all the shadows are dynamic, whereas Gears 4 used mostly baked shadows.

I could keep going on about the improvements, but there are too many to list. You are welcome to your opinion to be sure, but that opinion is totally wrong :D

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I need to dive into the game, only played the tutorial and benchmark so far, but i've not been especially impressed visually.
    There's barely any depth of field making everything look from a perfectly infinite range camera, really video gamy, everything being razor sharp even in background

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'm hopeful for Gears 5.
    And while I enjoyed Gears 4, there were parts I wasn't big on. Fighting robots got... boring. And, the couple of times in the campaign where is was basically "here's Horde mode" annoyed the hell out of me.
    Also, I found most of the new characters rather forgettable when compared to the original four.

14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well the story campaign is getting high marks from people i generally like their opinions.

but i stil concerned about the depth of gameplay.

if you wanted a story based gears with a good to maybe even very good story depending on your standards you might enjoy it. hell i might enjoy it.

but i playing other stuff anyway.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    do you use rgb ram / icue?

16. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    [​IMG]

lol didnt know I had to install ultra texture pack

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    The tutorial and the benchmark pale in comparison to the actual game itself. Once you start playing it, you'll see ;)

XenthorX likes this.
  18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It's optional but highly recommended as it makes a big difference in the character textures and probably some others. You have 8GB of VRAM so you should be fine.

19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I've almost finished the game, and I can say that there is quite a bit of character development with JD, Kate and Del. I won't spoil anything, but something significant happens that changes the trio in a big way.

20. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i do to control the fans