New Windows 10 build update can cause high CPU activity

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    this is no longer reliable.

2. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Haven't had any issues on 2 desktops and 1 laptop, but I have Cortana disabled on all of them so...

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It is reliable on my rigs.

386SX likes this.
  4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Neither I will stop using it. But I just upgraded my SP3 (which I usually defer updates for some good reasons) from 1809 to 1903 and I got automatically installed this incoming update, and that's irritating.

5. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Cortana trying to establish a neural network so she can keep on living i guess :p or become the skynet !

mbk1969 likes this.
  6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    is like 6+ months that windows 10 pro is at discount at 10-12 dollars.

This is the market price of windows and we cannot complain for the value it gives us.

We could then argue than MS having a great share of OS would automatically give them the responsibility to create a good OS rather than their commercial product.

But apparently that is not true, there is not such thing.

I think for most of us the blame is on the gaming industry not making games for linux too.

I also wonder if the gaming industry would move on linux what the most common linux would start to look like.

In few words, when money start to flow around things, they often stop growing in quality. Things get done quick and with products and money in mind and not security and the users.

7. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Windows 10 grill update.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    In the only Windows setup I have left, I use LTSB, which [thankfully] doesn't have Cortana. But even when I wasn't using LTSB, I always tried to disable Cortana where possible. It's just bloatware as far as I'm concerned.

You say that as though Windows actually has fewer bugs and "stupidities" than Linux, which is absurd.
    I've managed to ditch Windows on nearly every PC I own, including my gaming PC. Sure, there are a handful of games that don't [yet] work, but that list has been steadily shrinking at a surprisingly fast pace. A lot of this is actually thanks to Valve - one year ago, I had to dual boot because maybe 15% of my game library was unplayable in Linux. Now, it's more like 5%. That's some crazy good progress in such a short amount of time.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I do not. Other gurus here sound like only Windows has bugs and "stupidities".

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    With something as complex as an OS, you'll never find something free of bugs. But Windows has been out of control with severe bugs pretty much ever since W10 came out. For something as unimportant and widespread as Cortana, it is completely unacceptable for MS to not have realized this bug during their last patch. Unpaid/volunteer or non-profit developers have better QC than this.

carnivore and Order_66 like this.

11. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Yeah the situation for older games is alot better now with Proton, but very few Windows gamers would be willing to switch when there still are new games that perform significantly worse on Linux, even when they're native ports. And that's also a weak area for Linux still, that the big profile games typically lag behind Windows releases with up to a year.
    The high-end game I've been waiting for comparisons for is Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

But hell, I doubt most hardcore Windows gamers even would be able to install anything on Ubuntu that's not available in the Software center.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Agreed. I'm still hesitant to recommend Linux to Windows gamers. Though, I wouldn't advise against it either, like I would have a couple years ago. I might recommend it to anyone who is looking to a clean slate of PC gaming and isn't competitive. However, if you're a competitive gamer, care about cutting-edge features, or care about getting the highest frame rate possible, I would recommend to avoid Linux. As of today, you're right that it should also be avoided if you like to play high-profile games, such as PUBG (since, last time I checked, that doesn't even work).
    True, but, the same can be said of just about any OS. Tell the average Windows user to install (or even uninstall) a web browser on Mac and they're probably going to do it wrong (they might be able to run the web browser, but not actually install it). Once you get the gist of the differences between an OS from one you're used to, it's pretty easy to adapt.

13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Yes I agree 100%.

14. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Sounds like a fictional universe or one that just hasn't been found yet.

15. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    After reading this thread, I JUST PAUSED WINDOWS UPDATE(s)

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Yeah, lucky me. I only had one recurrent bug in Win10 1709 or 1803 (and in Windows overall) - start menu has been freezing periodically.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  17. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    No surprise, as it all comes from a Bill & The Gang....

18. Abomlol

Abomlol Member

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Advanced Options in Win10 lets you defer feature updates up to 1 year and security updates up to 30 days. Comes in handy when crap like this happens.

19. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Set your LAN connection as "metered". WU then will not download any update.

Use

wusa.exe

to uninstall buggy updates.

Search for syntax to uninstall, it's not that difficult.

You're welcome. :)

EDIT:
    I wrote that post on my mobile and totally overread this:

Yes, it is.

Proof from one of my 1809 (Pro for WS):

[​IMG]

Translation:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    mbk1969 likes this.
  20. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Better off just staying on at least 1 build previous to whatever is current when it comes to win10. Even then, sometimes there is issues. But overall a much smoother experience.